Author Topic: Saturday, Weekly-Springfield  (Read 15710 times)

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
Saturday, Weekly-Springfield
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
The following information pertains to the weekly parkour jam in Springfield MO.

Where?
Founder's Park
-Water St. and Jefferson, downtown Springfield

When?
Starts around 11:00, most arrive between then and noon.
After warming up and spending some time in Founder's we usually go on the move to different spots in the area. If you get there after we've moved, try my cell phone or look around for people jumping on things. I try to stay at Founder's for at least an hour so everyone who is coming can find us, with that spot's versatility we could stay there the entire day.

What?
Parkour.

No, I meant, "What should I bring?"
Water, for yourself or others depending on how giving you are. Sometimes people forget and I try to have a backpack with water bottles in it. My wallet isn't overflowing by any means so try to have your own.
I also suggest bringing your head with you. This means no showing up under the influence of any substance or bringing any substances with you. Do what you want on your own time, but keep it on your own time.

Who?
Everyone is welcome, there is no age limit. Bring friends, bring parents, whatever. However, if someone you bring disrupts our training you will be politely asked to leave with your invitee. You'll be free to show up the next week.
Currently, this weekly session is run by myself. However, I'm looking for decent individuals to help keep on top of things. If you'd like to play a larger role in the goings on of MOPK you can reach me by telephone, email or in person at one of the jams.

All updates, cancellations, and changes will be posted here. If you're curious about this weeks schedule, look no further.
All participants assume their own liability. I will not be held responsible for injuries sustained while training under any circumstances.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:33:13 AM by Carwin Young II »
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday, Weekly-Springfield
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
Cancellation:
Saturday May 3, canceled.

Reason:
Tornadoes/Storms.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:16:18 PM by Carwin Young II »
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »
Update:
For those wondering, unless otherwise noted the weekly session is in full swing. Sometimes it rains, so be smart: bring appropriate clothing. If it rains too hard we generally take shelter in Parking Garages that are, luckily for us, perfect for training. Generally we will still gather together at Founders' as there is a large canopy in the summer months that offers protection from the elements.
------------------
-Albert Camus

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
Update /  Notice of Absence:
For June 21, 2008 --
I'm ill and won't be able to make it on Saturday. For your pleasure I'll post what I had planned.

Warm-up:

pushups                            - 15x
squats                               - 25x
plank                                 - 30 seconds front, left, and right.

Drill:
Roll                                    - 15x
Cat Leaps                           - 20x
Tic Tac                                - 20x
Cat Leaps with top out         - 10x
      alternatively: wallruns with top out 15x

Vaults:

lazy vaults  - both arms
kong vaults

...and that was my gameplan. From there you guys are free to do whatever, in fact, you don't necessarily have to do anything I was going to.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:51:04 AM by Carwin »
------------------
-Albert Camus

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
Cancellation:
Saturday June 28, postponed until Sunday.

Reason:

Storms/Flash Floods.

I'm sick of doing this, I wanna run ><
------------------
-Albert Camus

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Just thought I'd make it official in more places than one.  The Springfield Weekly Jam IS alive and well, contrary to popular belief!

If you live in Springfield, in any of the surrounding area, or you're just visiting the area, feel free to join us Saturdays at 11 at Founder's Park, described in the first post of this thread.

Hope to see you there!

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
12/06/08 - Springfield Weekly Jam

Today was a great day.  There were six of us at Founders, and we did a lot of good work.

Warmup

Monkey walking/random QM - 5:00 minutes  Note: My quads really feel it after doing this, but not so much my arms.  I will have to toy around with this technique to see if I can stress my arms a little more.  If not, we'll probably have to integrate push ups, handstands or something next time.

Workout

A new guy Jesse was there today, so we spent a reasonable amount of time looking at his technique, helping him improve, and showing him some new stuff.  I also spent some time on my own practicing stuff I've been wanting to work on.  Throughout the course of the day we worked on:

- rolling (I rolled on concrete from a crouch, mostly)
 - Kong Vault
 - Speed Vault
 - Wall Run
 - Tic Tac
 - Cat Leap
 - Climb Up

We also played a little game where we started at one end of our concrete paradise, and took turns moving through to the other end as powerfully and gracefully as possible.  As it turns out, running and doing techniques is a lot harder than just drilling technique! Tongue  This will have to become more of a staple, because it rocked.

In addition to a faster, more powerful climb up, I'd also like to get a smoother, more graceful transition from crouching at the top of a wall into a cat hang from the top of a wall (sort of a "climb down").  I feel about as graceful as a fat kid crawling out of a pool when I try this, and I need to build up grip strength, negative muscle strength, coordination and overall confidence to be able to do this.

Total workout time - 1:20 hours

Cooldown

Stretch - 15:00 min.

A less than an hour after training, I noticed how tired my legs and arms felt, and how good it feels to be pushing myself again. Cheesy

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
Just a quick update.  I'm not going to be able to make it to the regular 11AM training session, but I'd like to get some training in regardless.  I know some people are also having trouble getting together at that time, so I'm inviting anyone interested to join me at 8AM at Founders.  It's going to be really early, but it's better than nothing, and the temperature should be warmish, so I'm excited!

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:12:28 AM »
12/12/08 - Springfield Weekly Training Session

Today I had to train at 8am instead of 11am because of a busy schedule, but train I did.  Holland was the only regular who showed up (understandably... it's freaking early), and there was a new guy Andrew there today (Prancer here on the forums).  We did basically a normal workout, and he kept up pretty well, so he should be a lot of fun to train with!

Warmup
Body Squat - 10x, 15x

Push Up - 10x2

Burpees - 2x2

QM - about 100m worth to give Andrew a feel for the movements.  Split up into two sessions.

Workout
Landing Tutorial/drilling - ~15:00 min.

Rolling tutorial - ~10:00 min.

Cat Leap Tutorial - ~10:00 min.

Intro to Kong - ~15:00 min.

INTRO to Speed Vault - ~5:00 min.

Cooldown
Stretch - ~15:00 min.

All-in-all it was a pretty good session.  I was a little groggy and a little cold at first, but both cleared up without too much of a fuss.

P.S. - If anyone goes to the 11am and gets on here later, feel free to post a write up.  This is of course assuming that anyone has time enough to come to the 11am time. ;D

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »
12/20/08 - Springfield Weekly Training Session

There were seven people there today, and we had a lot of fun, despite the low temperatures.

Warm up (yeah, right)

Body Squat - 15x3
Push Up - 10x3
Burpees - 2, 2, 3

QM - On two flights of stairs:
 - up forwards
 - down backwards
 - up backwards
 - down forwards

Workout

Since there were some new people today, most of training was spent going over the basics.  As Bruce Lee said "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."  Drilling the basics never hurt anyone.

For about an 1:15 hours we drilling landing, rolling, cat leaps, one step wall runs into cat leaps, precisions, kong vaults, speed vaults, and lazy vaults.

For the next 15 minutes, we played tag in our playground, which rocked my socks off.  We started off playing in only half of the park area, but after 5 minutes we realized that was way too much space, and halved it.  About 5 minutes later we halved it again, because we were all getting pretty tired from constant running.  It's always amazing to me how much successful, genuine parkour is related to endurance training.  You can drill all the moves you want 80,000 times, but it doesn't matter if you can't sustain constant activity for more than a few minutes.

Cooldown

After tag we stretched to cool down, but we sort of hurriedly because the wind was so cold.  I'm still feeling tight, so I'll have to warm up later tonight and finish stretching out.  I would recommend everyone else at the session to do the same.  :)  This is a really great stretching routine (look familiar?)

All-in-all, it was a really, really fun 2 hours.  I'm exhausted and starving, and I love it.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:22:01 AM by Eli Kurtz »

Offline lindsay_michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
just curious

so, are there girls that do this at founders too? and wats the typical age of the ppl there? thanks

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »
me personally has seen one that i know of, there may be more, and anywhere from my brothers at 10 and 13 to Eli is what 21 22, im 16 so its a good age range

Offline lindsay_michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
awesome

so, would it be out of the question for me and a friend to just come and watch wat you all do? i just wanna see how it works. obviously, i wouldnt really be able to do anything cuz im just now getting interested in parkour. but id love at least watch.

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
i wouldnt think so, at least i wouldnt have a prob, though i dont make it to many, im going to try this sat, see if i can get off early from my activity and get there, but there should be things for you to do as well

Offline lindsay_michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »
things to do...such as?? you should know i have never actually done parkour. lol

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
right i guessed that, participate in warm up, if you would so choose. learning basic vault

Offline lindsay_michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
okayy cool. thanks so much btw!

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »
no prob

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
We'd love to have you show up!  My girlfriend comes along once in a blue moon, and sometimes another girl friend (notice the space :P) of mine joins us.  Also, I'm 21, and I think a lot of the people that show up are "college aged" guys, but there are definitely some younger people, too!  How old are you?

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »
not to sound weird by knowing this or anything but she is 17