Author Topic: My precision bars  (Read 13695 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
My precision bars
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:14:19 AM »

I just build this for precision training. I mainly built them to use at the next seminar I'll be hosting next sunday, I think they would be great to introduce beginners into percision onto rails. They are the same width of most rails out there and as you can see they are pretty heavy duty so they'll proly last a while.

Total cost is about 40 bucks for the pair.

This is what you need.

Used non galvanized pipe (the ones for gas, they are darker almost black) cheaper than galvanized, the one thing is that rosts if expose to the elements so

Two 1'x24'
Eight 1'x6
and I really dont know the name of the piece that ties them together, I call it elbow with a double exit, that one saves you money because you dont need to use anything else to make the angle needed. Besides it is ideal because when jumping onto it send the force towards the ground keeping them stady. Better if used on grass or dirt.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline blachawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: My precision bars
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:06:46 AM »
very nice!  :)

do they move at all when you land on them? why do you suggest using on grass or dirt? have you had problems on carpet at all, i.e. tearing the carpet?

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:20:24 AM »
hahahahahaha....thats such a coincidence. Last night as I was laying in bed falling asleep I was thinking to myself that I need to practice my rail to rail precisions more. But I'd rather train with out the risk of injury, so I decided I'd make precision trainers today. And then I wake up this morning and theres a thread about how to make them!  ;D Thanks for the instructions.
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:17:17 AM »
Oo thats a good idea...but when i saw it i thought it was PVC Piping so i was like wtf?!

But it would make sense to make it out of metal piping...i should make that though just to practice cuz im 98% i can do precisions but i am 100% terrified of doing them haha
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 01:21:15 PM »
very nice!  :)

do they move at all when you land on them? why do you suggest using on grass or dirt? have you had problems on carpet at all, i.e. tearing the carpet?

I suggest grass or dirt because teh more you use them the more the dig in preventing them from moving. I think carpet should do ok also, so you can also use them as home.
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »
hahahahahaha....thats such a coincidence. Last night as I was laying in bed falling asleep I was thinking to myself that I need to practice my rail to rail precisions more. But I'd rather train with out the risk of injury, so I decided I'd make precision trainers today. And then I wake up this morning and theres a thread about how to make them!  ;D Thanks for the instructions.

Like a wish come true huh? lol
 Ghandi

Offline xoshibbygirl

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
Those look really nice Ozzi, very cool.
Μολὼν λαβέ

Offline Haku

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
Those look awesome!

Nice wristband too!

Hehe "XD"

Offline mike28115

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:20 AM »
nice work, i cant believe i hadnt even THOUGHT of this! hah i like em. do you have any suggestions for like rubber feet on the edges or something? because the only place i can think of practicing this in the winter would be in my basement, and its just cement.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »

Well you said it, rubber. Try finding table feet, or anything rubberish you can fit on it.
 Ghandi

Offline Slim_hff

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »
O_O Cool idea. You could use them for push-ups too I guess.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

~John Lennon~

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:03:53 PM »
Oh yeah, I used them for push up, hand stands, squads and balancing.
 Ghandi

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
I love em.. make me some, lol

good job Ozzi

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
Nice job Ozzi i like em cuz they're portable easy to make helps percisions,handstands,pushups,ect and scratch the nice job thing actually great job.+1
Shit happens.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
I've been thinking about making some precision trainers for a while, or maybe a long rail on which to practice balance.  However, being on a very tight student budget, even the PVC parallettes I built not long ago set me back more than I wanted to be set back.

I've been trying to think of ways to get around the cost of the materials, since metal piping can be costly.  Being a good hippie, I decided the best way was to reclaim some piping that has already been thrown away.  However, I see a few major issues with this:

• Toxicity: How can I know that the piping was not carrying something horrendously bad for me that can't or would be difficult to be cleaned off?
  • Sanitation: How can I clean off the piping, including the inner surfaces, sufficiently?
  • Integrity: How can I make sure it will not snap when used?
  • Searching: Where would I find this kind of piping?

Any ideas?
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »

Try 2x4's, cheaper and easy to find for free at contruction sites.

Then nail them making an H shape for side support.

Ghandi

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »
that is a rly good idea
bcuz i am totally new to parkour
and i would b waaayy to scared 2 jump on2 a railing 3 feet high

Offline ZeroAlphaEnigma

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
that is a rly good idea
bcuz i am totally new to parkour
and i would b waaayy to scared 2 jump on2 a railing 3 feet high

its is, if you are new to it, and balancing, if you check around the site you can see lots of ways to improve it. and yeah...i dont sugest you start jumping onto rails in the air yet haha. start low, like those bars, or even between 2 cracks on the ground.
Traceur In Training

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
yea
thanks for the advice
i really need to work on my balance

Offline CompGeek812

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
    • Toxicity: How can I know that the piping was not carrying something horrendously bad for me that can't or would be difficult to be cleaned off?
    • Sanitation: How can I clean off the piping, including the inner surfaces, sufficiently?
    • Integrity: How can I make sure it will not snap when used?
    • Searching: Where would I find this kind of piping?

Any ideas?

1. There is no 100% way to know but there are 2 things you can do to clean reclaimed piping.
         A) Bleach. Take  regular laundry bleach and mix it to about 50-50 with water. Then with a white rag wipe down entire pipe. If you are having trouble getting anything off, douse it in the mix and let it sit for a few hours. If it is really rusty then use a wire brush ($2-5 @ any hardware store) with the bleach (remember, so long as there are no sharp edges, pipe does not need to be completely rust free). Also if you are a rust nazi, you can coat it in kerosene, let sit, and scrub with the wire brush. After you are satisfied wash with warm soapy water and rinse (preferably somewhere were the bleach can't harm anything).
         B) Next is to mix baking soda and water. Stir and continue to add baking soda until it no longer dissolves. Then clean the pipe with this solution taking the wire brush to any part that foams up, you can also pour the solution down the pipe. Wash with warm water and rinse.

The important thing about B is that it will remove any remaining acid. I've used this method a few times with great success.

2. Just test it before using it. One way is to prop it up on something and put one foot on it, then start applying pressure slowly until you can lift yourself onto it. Then slowly start moving your body up and down, then progress to bouncing then jumping. So long as you go slowly you should be fine and if you hear a crack or the pipe starts to bend just get off and try another. If it holds up you might wanna try to stand on it with a friend, if it supports you both its fine. (By the way, do this before cleaning :) ).

3. Call around to your local contractors and ask them if they have any pipe they will be getting rid of and if you can have it. You might have to pretend to be a student needing it for some project but just keep at it. Don't just show up at a construction site and start digging through the trash, you'll likely get arrested (yeah, I think its dumb too). For me I've found that the "I'm building a Tesla Coil for a science project and need metal piping but can't afford new ones" works best. Also, smaller contractors are more likely to hand over things they are going to throw away than large companies.

This is how I get the majority of my materials. Hope it helped some.