Author Topic: Tabi Split Toe Running / Parkour Shoes (not boots) REVIEW (finally)  (Read 23165 times)

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile

Where I got them:
http://www.jika-tabi.com/Products/sportsjog-black.html#

Where you can get them now:
not posting a link cause they suck...
jk, but just for the cause:
Click Here.. even though I dislike these shoes this is a real link so go ahead and click it

FIT:6/10
This is preference. I have a narrow foot; then again, I’m a girl.  But the shoes do have a wider fit and the laces aren’t positioned where they can make the shoe tighter.  I played with the lacing and the holes just wouldn’t help me out.

Also, the tall ankle limits range of motion. You can really feel it in wallruns and landing… so you can really feel it and it doesn’t feel good =/

The Split toe is a preference.  It didn’t seem to have any benefit but didn’t hinder the fit any… actually that’s a lie.  The big toe had waaay too much space and there wasn’t enough space for my littler piggies =(

FLEXIBILITY:4/10
Really flexible. Except, again, for that nasty high ankle.  It’s worse than basketball shoes.  However, if you like basketball shoes, you may enjoy these.

WEIGHT:8/10
Light. Really light. Heavier than Vibrams but lighter than most.

GRIP: 7/10
Pretty decent grip on everything, except wet stuff.  The rubber is hard and slick but the treads are in such a way that it works out.  Imaging the “treads” of KSOs but 10x the size of each little tooth flappy.  The sole is a bit weird too, kinda like an arch but it’s built into just the sole.

BREATHABILITY: -0.7/10
Do these shoes stay airy or do your feet feel like potatoes in the oven?
There’s mesh and holes… but it doesn’t feel like it. I think these shoes made my feet sweat… yuck.

CUSHIONING: 5/10
The actual shoe is a piece of cloth.  The sole is waves of hard rubber. There’s no real cushioning but the sole does provide some shock absorb… but not much.  Not enough to note here even though I did.  Land on the balls of your feet.

Durability: 8/10
The shoe is okay on durability, six months and still strong, but I would recommend buying different laces because they tore apart.  Actually… I recommend buying a different shoe, but you can read about that later

Price: 2/10
 I only paid $40 for them, but shipping brought it up to $70… yay Japan!  A lot of the shoes people are mentioning from different sites are WAY overpriced. In my opinion it’s because they’re a newer thing and fancy sports magazines are trying to make them seem fancy… they’re not =P

GENERAL COMMENTS:
I put these throughout so go back and read

The Bottom Line:
These shoes suck, don’t buy them.  The ones you can get nowadays are overpriced and it’s really not worth it. They’re kinda ugly and their “pros” are only kinda okay stuff – nothing special (nothing you couldn’t find in a more attractive, less expensive shoe).  The ankle is really what kills them.  To be honest, they hurt to wear, hurt to use; they just hurt.

Pros: nothing special, go somewhere else. But maybe the grip and durability. And some people think the split toe looks cool
Cons: bulky, that stupid ankle, most are ugly as… something really really ugly.

Overall a 3 or 4/10, don't buy them. Not worth it. Go buy VFFs or Onitsuka Tigers, or Ariakes, or some crap from 5.10; you know what go buy anything except these ^_^
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:03:11 PM by Kendy »
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
Re: Tabi Split Toe Running / Parkour Shoes (not boots) REVIEW (finally)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:44:46 AM »
To the point.

Thanks Kendall!

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Evan Blanc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • 02/24/09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
If they made them with a lower ankle (think Feiyue/Tigers) and fixed toe spacing, would you buy them again?

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:10:24 AM »
maybe, but like I said, they aren't that special =P
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke