Author Topic: Rafe's statistics of parkour injuries for a project  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
Rafe's statistics of parkour injuries for a project
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »
Hey all, I remember Rafe posted something awhile back about 2 injuries per 1000 hours of training for parkour, as well as other sports.

Anyone know where I can find this? Or what the source of the information was?
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
Re: Rafe's statistics of parkour injuries for a project
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
I went back and found a topic started by you, and Rafe had replied to your post saying......

Sherdog is just a really low quality forum its not worth bothering with.

For the record, we calculated our injury rate recently in the parkour visions teaching program it came out to 2 injuries per thousand hours training time, this is probably lower then self directed training but it is not in my experience a huge difference.  Indoor rock climbing averages around 3, gymnastics(training) around 4, soccer(training) is 7.6 and american football(training) is 16, I could not find statistics for MMA training but concussion rate alone for MMA competition is 15 per thousand hours, thats not including any other types of injuries. So yeah its particularly ironic that a group of MMA fans would castigate parkour as stupidly dangerous.   

-Rafe

I think thats what you were talking about?

Hope it helps :)

Oh, and here is the link to the topic: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,29389.0.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:39:43 AM by Steve Leifheit »
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I went through all of Rafe's posts and only found this thread other then the one above.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,25572.0.html It was started by ash and Rafe posted maybe it will help.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
I calculated that by looking at our injury records at parkour visions, vs total teaching hours including all projects. Which is the number of classes we have taught times the students per class. That number is an approximation based on some rounded figures if you need a more accurate figure I can calculate one. I orginaly became interested in the statistic after seeing it in the back of Mark rippetoes Starting strength as part of his argument as to why Weight lifting is safe for kids. You can google injury rate per thousand hour and given sport and find spastics for most of the major ones. For example here is one such analysis that was the top result for rock climbing http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1580/pr26-05?journalCode=weme .
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Alright!  ;D Thanks guys!

Basically, I'm doing a senior college project informing what parkour is and isn't.

The injuries... Rafe, the Parkour Visions program... I've heard of Parkour Visions, but it was at your gym and a training program, yes?

I'll definitely have to look more into this.  I want these statistics to be in my final product.

Rafe, you said approximations... On the parkour injury rate in your gym, or...? How much more accurate could it be?  It's a GREAT start.  The other sports accuracy would just depend on the site and source.  The other sports were not from your gym, right?
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »
Yeah parkour visions is our teaching program including out gym and our outreach program you can look at our programs at www.parkourvisions.org

The number is approximate because I rounded some numbers I didn't have exact figures on. I can go back and recalculate with just the stuff we hard figures for.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.