Author Topic: Has Parkour lost meaning?  (Read 14033 times)

Offline Spencer M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vertical Pedestrian
    • View Profile
Has Parkour lost meaning?
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:46:36 AM »
I love PK....I do it every chance I get. and on the sad days when it's raining I watch PK video...and i see these guys doing flips and backflips & gainers. Now, I AM very impressed with these people but I just can't seem to find a justification for flips in Parkour. I belive that the point is to get from point A to point B using special trained moves to not only reduce time but also to have a GREAT freakin time! It seems like flips are only to impress people. but the true meaning of parkour is your experssion of freedom in a constricting Urban area. any else feel the same?
I eat the talking bees because i'm George Washington Christ

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Has Parkour lost meaning?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 11:28:08 AM »
yeah i know what you mean. People do a lot of flips and that can sometimes be confused with parkour. Although, i believe once people so some more reaserch into parkour and on the forum and ask questions they realize the truth behind our art. but sometimes there are stubborn people that just don't get it and still try to force people to believe flips are parkour. well here is the best way to find otu what is and isn't parkour. have someone that also does parkour chase you. whatever obsticals you overcome they must overcome too. (you can get over teh obstical anyway you want you don't have to copy the person your chasing). I highly doubt that you'll do a flip during the chase. And that is how you know what is and isn't parkour...by doing it!!  ;)
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 12:25:40 PM »
but also to have a GREAT freakin time! It seems like flips are only to impress people
Well, we cant go saying what another person's motivation is for doing a flip. It could have nothing to do with impressing people, they could just be having a great freakin time. Doing a flip in a video is no crime, but to call it parkour is definitely foolish... I just think that enough people know of that lasting grudge between flips and pk that they don't do the flip and call it parkour specifically, but they put the flip in to show the peak of their skills. What i am saying is, there are very few people who ACTUALLY believe that a flip is considered parkour.... that is if they have done ANY research on it in their life. there are videos out there with good parkour in them, maybe a flip or two, but if it bothers you that much all i can say is just ignore them.

People aren't losing the grasp of the art, there are just some misinformed new guys out there that want to make it an extreme sport.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:52:04 PM by Skipper »

Offline Spencer M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vertical Pedestrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 12:55:32 PM »
It dosen't BOTHER me.....I just think it's about overcomming obsticales...mentaly & physically. a flip is ALWAYS cool. but i just feel that it's un-neccesary in the art of movement

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 12:59:54 PM »
And don't think you're wrong in believing that. People are gonna do what's cool... no matter what you or I say to them. I say keep doing what you know the art truly is, and you'll be WAY ahead of the "trendy" crowd. thats what i do.

There are a crap load of us still left... the meaning of parkour is going NOWHERE at the moment. just dont worry about the furpickers for the time being.  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:51:36 PM by Skipper »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 01:12:13 PM »
Hey guys, lets start off with good habits, like Spell Check. Then the "obsticale" won't be reading what you've written and intended to say :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Spencer M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vertical Pedestrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »
lol, thanks for catching that one.

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 03:34:24 PM »
It comes down to doing what you want. I've always been one to take a more literal stand on things, rather than an idealistic one.

Idealy, every parkour video would include 100% parkour, nothing else. Realistically that will never happen, people will put things in videos that don't belong (or do belong depending on your opinion). The key of it all is that you're doing what you want to do, and not what others say you should be doing. So there's a flip in my parkour videos. And? So what?

I think you brought up a good point, but I agree with skipper that the best arguement to your observation is that people are going to do what you want, and in this case there's no need to stop them. This world is diverse because we all don't think alike, personally I'd like to keep it that way. When you're watching a video with flips, enjoy them for what they are, but don't get all caught up in dwelling over the fact that the title said parkour and there was a flip in it. Really, is it worth your time? ;)
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:37:14 PM »
isnt parkour sapposed to be about fun and using youre body to create a fluid movement. Ive seen some videos were a flip really tied into the run a guy was doing and he did a front flip off a legde and landed rolled and kept on with his run. It look really cool and tied in really nice.
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:09:25 PM »
"I dont usually do this, but a small backflip" [backflip] "Its not really part of parkour at all, but since I do a little gymnastics I like to do them because it makes me happy."

-David Belle (as translated by Danno)

I'm not trying to start a discussion on David Belle's authority. It's up to you to decide how much weight he carries, and therefore how much weight his words carry, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks Dan.

Parkourdan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 09:20:15 PM »
Dont forget that hideous .. "If you have no arms, you'll fall" translation.... *shivers*.
I do wish more people could hear what David does instead of just see it though... it would make a world of difference.

When it comes to the actual topic...

More people will always equal lost meaning. It happens in everything in life... Parkour is no exception.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 09:22:53 PM by Parkourdan »

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 09:33:11 PM »
No offense Spencer M, I just have to point out that while your complaining about peoples misunderstandings of parkour your posts include common misconceptions about the art. Parkour is not an urban sport! no more then it is rural sport, you can overcome obstacles in whatever enviorment you find yourself in. Likewise parkour is not the art of movement, that's a mistranslation of le'art du deplacement. Deplacement implies forward motion. If it was just the art of movement it would encompas any artfull movement.

I agree that if you label your video as parkour video it shouldn't  have allot of flips in it, however I don't see any harm in peoples personal skill videos including a mix of disciplines as many of us practice gymnastics, tricking, martial arts, rock climbing etc as well as parkour.

Parkour though can not lose it's meaning unless everone forgets what it meant, many people may not truly understand parkour but many people do and the number is growing.

Michiganparkour parkour is not just about using your body to creat fluid movement. Even if you can move fluidily out of flip it is only parkour if it is also the most efficient and fast movement to get from one point to another. The discipline your talking about is variously known as Free running, 3run, or Freestyle parkour. I like the term free running myself and I do both parkour and free running. Its important though to understand that they are not the same thing though many people confuse them.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Spencer M

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vertical Pedestrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 11:59:57 PM »
I appreciate all of your comments...but just for the record.."I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE DOING FLIPS OF ANY KIND!" I just stated that i don't feel it is Necessary while moving through an area. I still love to see some cool flips in PK video's.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 12:05:57 AM »
Exactly. Michiganparkour, thats the type of misinterpretation that this thread is addressing. if you dwindle down the definition to "having fun and creating fluid movements" then all is lost. The creation of fluid movements is not the goal necessarily, but they come naturally as you learn to move your body around an obstacle more efficiently. The fluid aspect is that of complete smoothness in the execution of the moves. the smoother the faster... and that is the goal.
Theres a nice long thread called 'What is parkour?'... I'm sure that has something in there worth giving a read before arguing the definition of parkour.

I'm not trying to rip on you, just using you as an example. People need to inform themselves with the available information here... it REALLY helps everything!

Because information, is the essence, of knowledge.

Offline David Peter Palermo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 07:02:12 AM »
i always thought thats what separated parkour from "Free Running" that Free Running Had more flips and diffrant types of moves that parkour wouldn't use because that would Stop your movement¿

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 09:58:53 AM »
Well, thats what separated parkour from freestyle parkour. But it sounds to me that people kind of just made up a meaning for free running in spite of Urban Freeflow after the media coined the term without consent. And seeing as Urban Freeflow claimed to still practice parkour at that point, the synonym of Free running was for the word "Parkour." "Free running" to me was just a more understandable term to use for the English TV audience. But whatever, Parkour has been defined, Free running has not (to the best of my knowledge).

but ya, youre talking about PK and FRPK

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
For the best of my knowledge freerunning and parkour never had any difference in meaning, freerunnign was simply the term used to make it more suitable to english speaking audiences. Also i'm fairly certain that 3run is not the name of any type of parkour, if it is i'm am unaware of what it refers to, but i thought it was jsut a website, much as i've heard "parkour" called "urban freeflow."

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 05:49:40 PM »
Yeah, Ive never really understood when people say that we should "not just include parkour, FRPK, Martial arts and tricking, but you should also include 3run" blah blah blah. 3run is a site that includes people who do Wushu, parkour, and tricking..... we have all of those here already, no need to create subcategories....

Kipup

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 07:08:54 PM »
But whatever, Parkour has been defined, Free running has not (to the best of my knowledge).
- Skip???

"Freerunning" was a word made up by Seb, it was intended to be an English way of saying "Parkour"
Freerunning = Parkour

As Skipper said, you are talking about the difference between PK and FRPK, not Pk and freerunning.

Gearsighted

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 07:14:51 PM »
But, over time, freerunning came to mean what FRPK has been created to define. That's the funny thing about language, it changes according to popular usage over time. Freerunning was originally meant to be the same as Parkour, but for a large majority of the Parkour community, it became a useful term to describe a style of movement that was Parkour-like, but was based much less on the essential mindset and rather was a vehicle for more excessive flair.