Author Topic: Starting your own Parkour or Freerunning Club  (Read 14131 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Starting your own Parkour or Freerunning Club
« on: September 24, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »
There are a few guys out there who have already been very successful in setting up clubs at their schools and colleges. I figured if they would piost upsome hints in here it may help everyone whose looking to do the same. If you are starting a club, please feel free to email m2@americanparkour.com, and we'll do whatever we can to offer our support.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline darko

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Starting your own Parkour or Freerunning Club
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:25:45 AM »
being that these are "college" clubs, you could start by using facebook.

if your against facebook.... well, my idea goes to trash.

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:27:25 AM »
does this have to be for just college?
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Flow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • The political thoughts of a 15 year old boy.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
I'd imagine that it can be wherever you want but based on a school/college/lycée environment. Just get authorisation and advertise yourself. A small public demonstration of cool looking moves wouldn't hurt.

Offline P@

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »
The main reason I see for starting an official club here would be for campus police to not bother us.  This hasn't been a problem at all recently since we've altered our group training to not include any of the dangerous things that would normally get you kicked off private properties.

Another reason would be for increasing public awareness and advertising the discipline.  Personally, I'm not one to openly advertise Parkour but rather spread it on a more meaningful and personal level by word of mouth.  We've experienced a huge growth in interest even without the club.

The clubs coordinator can accept your club without knowing what actually goes on at your "meetings".  But if a higher ranking school official becomes aware of what you're doing (which is more likely with a club setup), they could straight out ban Parkour at your school (if your trainings still pose a threat to yourselves and the school of course ;))

These are just a couple things to think about when considering a club. 

Offline V3rt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:23:27 AM »
Thats funny how you mention they could straight out ban Parkour at your university. Personally if they banned Parkour I would still do it but that is just silly. Our university club has not had any problems with campus police at all. If anything they have made some sort of joke like, "what is this? leapfrog club?" We simply reply that it is Parkour, explain it and they laugh at us and tell us not to get hurt and that is about it. Anyways, best of luck to everyone else working on getting their club approved at the university level. ;D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
-Confucius

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »
Yeah, the principal at my high school won't let my friends start a freerunning club due to the "Liability".  He said call it martial arts club, I don't know how this works better with liability but ok.
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 12:12:38 PM »
well.. that doesn't sound right.. since martial arts is more about fighting each other (which is something that schools CAN'T tolerate)

if you are trying to start up a high school club, then you have to get a teacher to approve of the idea.. and that (or another) teacher must be there to supervise...
If you are starting a college club (which I intend to do at BGSU next year, or my sophomore year) then you should take to the admissions or student union people... they will tell you how to do it (most colleges require like 2 teachers to sign off on the club, and you must have 10 members and a written group bylaw type of thing.. it's kinda hard to explain)
anyways, just ask the officials how to start a club, it's not hard anyways, and if you talk to the principle when you already have a teacher who approves you have a MUCH better chance of getting the idea passed.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 04:08:23 PM »
While we have had regular meetings and stuff on campus before, today I just officially made the Parkour Club at the University of Colorado. We are now recognized officially and are eligible to get funding and other resources. I set up our club through the Student Organization Finance Office (SOFO).

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »
If you have started a parkour club, or would like to, please visit this thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,5833.0/

Offline JohnParkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Yawn...
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Nola
Parkour Nola
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »
Yo,

Are first meet is next week, 

I am looking for any advice on attracing new members and how to make sure everyone has a good time on the first few meets.

Check us at: http://parkour.meetup.com/107/

late

john
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." Confucius

Offline spydamonkey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • mythic
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:05 AM »
So, i wanna start a club at my university but i'm not really that experienced.  I've mostly been doing things like indoor conditioning, and basic stuff over the past year, and I'm goin to my first PK Jam on the 15th of May, and I plan to train alot over the summer.  so my question is would it be a good idea for me to wait until i'm more experienced before starting a club, cause I don't feel like i'm qualified to really teach anything about parkour.  or should I just start one and hope someone would be interested who's more experienced than me?
"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it."
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water."
"Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Offline misstanyamae

• Patas
  • I am come from a battle of Deeds Not Words.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »
So, i wanna start a club at my university but i'm not really that experienced.  I've mostly been doing things like indoor conditioning, and basic stuff over the past year, and I'm goin to my first PK Jam on the 15th of May, and I plan to train alot over the summer.  so my question is would it be a good idea for me to wait until i'm more experienced before starting a club, cause I don't feel like i'm qualified to really teach anything about parkour.  or should I just start one and hope someone would be interested who's more experienced than me?
We're in the process of starting a club right now. We have that issue also. Pat and I haven't been training long. We are going to focus on conditioning until we are more experianced.
bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohooh

-James Joyce

her wounds     came     from the same source as her power
-Adrienne Rich

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »
Starting a club isn't that critical to training. Find other people to train with through facebook, word of mouth, etc, but until you can give a proper demonstration of Parkour, until you can fully explain it and respond to questions about it with ease and confidence, I'd hold off on official club status. It can SERIOUSLY backfire if done wrong.

Offline Blansher

• Guenons
  • Spiritual Creamyness
    • View Profile
    • ParkourVirginia.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
Yeah I've been trying to start one at my high school and I've even run the idea by some of my teachers who have seen me practicing after school but bubkis. I can't find any way to get a club started cus I can't find a teacher/staff member who'd be willing to sponsor it. Even though there actually is a large amount of students who know what pk is but either are beginners, people who want to start but don't know how to, or think that it's not physically possible to perform such movements ( Question: which of these groups of people do you think piss me off the most?). But so if anyone has any ideas on what I could do and if anyone who goes there please contact me.

the school is Woodbridge Senior Highschool
"Ever see someone yelling insane things about the apocalypse on street corners in the city?

This is the online version."  -Andy Keller-

Offline metalcrazee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »
There are a few guys out there who have already been very successful in setting up clubs at their schools and colleges. I figured if they would piost upsome hints in here it may help everyone whose looking to do the same. If you are starting a club, please feel free to email m2@americanparkour.com, and we'll do whatever we can to offer our support.

i would like to start a club at my high school....it would be great if people could email me on info...my email is skaterfreek3451@yahoo.com

Offline Joshua Smith

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Overcoming obstacles, one vault at a time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »
I'm wanting to start a club here at TN Tech Univ. and I've got a copy of the form that tells me what I would have to do, and unfortunately it is a complex process. I have to have at least 15 commited members. I'll try and keep yall posted.
JGS-Be the difference-