Author Topic: Santa Cruz  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
Santa Cruz
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »
Please keep all Santa Cruz discussion here.

Previous threads:
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about Santa Cruz! Definitely close to Monterey. So, anyone interested in running/training with me in the Santa Cruz/Monterey areas when I finally get there? I'll be there for a year starting the end of May, and it's not as fun to train on your own. I want to get connections as soon as possible so I can get the ball rolling.  ;)
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
There's a group trying to get things rolling in Santa Cruz, theres at least ~15 traceurs there but its been tough getting a regular session going.  We've held 2 of our Monthly Jams there with 30+ people at UCSC and they've been a blast, the campus is awesome for training.  Definitely stop by SFPK to connect with them!

On a related note, Monterey is one of those places where traceurs have been popping up, but theres nobody to lead things.  If you're up for it, we can definitely help support you in getting things going!
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:51 PM »
Well, I'm not quite experienced in the world of parkour quite yet..still pretty much a newb..but by the time I get there, I should have made some progress. lol! But yes, if I can, I would love to lead up a group when class/navy allows. =)

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
In my experience, you don't have to be the most experienced or talented traceur to foster a community or take on a leadership role.  Willingness to step up and do it is what really counts.  Honestly it doesn't always even take that much time or work. 

In Santa Rosa (hour north of SF) basically I just copied what I saw people had done elsewhere.  I had help too, because I found a training partner (Adroit aka Michael) through SFPK after I'd been training alone for a month or two.    We figured out when we could both meet every week.  Sometimes we can do twice a week, but we try to always have at least one standing session a week organized and posted online (on SFPK).  Then we try to always make the SFPK Monthly Jam when people come from all over Nor Cal.  Traveling makes the whole experience even more epic.  Also, the entire SFPK community helped with encouragement, advice, and letting us host a couple monthlies now here in Santa Rosa.

Our group isn't huge, but we do get 5-10 people a week usually.  I used to try to force it a little, invite everyone I knew to come train, but now I just let it happen.  People pop up online and I hit 'em up.  Sometimes they get serious for a few months then get busy with other things, sometimes they stay and we all become BFFs.  We may not have a huge community, but we do have a very well connected community because we've visited people all over California, and Michael and I even went to the COPK National Jam last summer.  When more people do show up (there were 4 new people today!), we'll be ready to help them in their journey.  As parkour keeps growing in America, I think most areas will tend to start up in a similar grassroots fashion.  All it takes is one or a few people to stick with it, make themselves available and have fun.

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:15:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice, man. I'll definitely use it. =)  But yeah, I'll be watching the guys at HIPK a little more closely for more pointers.

Offline rhoparkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
Hello! I hope someone is watching this thread. I'm from Mexico and have been training Parkour for a while now. I will be working for the UCSC from July to September this year. In short, I hope to find people training there! Oh, just for the sake of identification, here's a vid I made form some clips I had lying around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GA_FIyEmoU

Be happy!

Offline bababing

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
i would suggest you just go to SFParkour, more people watch that forum than this one^^

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
Hey Rodolfo! Come to the www.sfparkour.com forums! There's actually a pretty active group in Santa Cruz, too. I hope you have fun training with them; let us know when you get here, we'll set up a jam with you!