Author Topic: Discussion of APK Partnership with FME and Motion Inc.  (Read 23069 times)

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
Discussion of APK Partnership with FME and Motion Inc.
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
This thread is meant to be a discussion forum for APK's announcement on August, 27 of entering a partnership with FremantleMedia Enterprises and Motion Inc.

Here is the link to APK's announcement and the press release: http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/4380/1/
Please read the announcement and press release before posting on this thread.

I'll be posting more later but for now I gotta go run a practice.  Please keep the discussion civil and respectful.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion of APK Partnership with FME and Motion Inc.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
I love it except for one thing...

"The primary objective of the deal is to grow the sport into a global entertainment franchise and league competition..."

Parkour doesn't need to be turned into a sport to have widespread appeal, and that's what they keep trying to do. They need to realise PK as is 'good enough' to encourage tens of thousands of people to train easily and even without a competition aspect there would be a major influx of new practitioners.

Of course I hope it doesn't mean exactly what it says and that I just rambled on for no reason. I really honestly do.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:47:03 PM »
I love it except for one thing...

"The primary objective of the deal is to grow the sport into a global entertainment franchise and league competition..."

Parkour doesn't need to be turned into a sport to have widespread appeal, and that's what they keep trying to do. They need to realise PK as is 'good enough' to encourage tens of thousands of people to train easily and even without a competition aspect there would be a major influx of new practitioners.

Of course I hope it doesn't mean exactly what it says and that I just rambled on for no reason. I really honestly do.

What you have to keep in mind, especially with this line, is that this press release is not meant for the general public, or the parkour community. It is meant for those within the entertainment industry to officially announce the partnership and the intention.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:17 PM »
What you have to keep in mind, especially with this line, is that this press release is not meant for the general public, or the parkour community. It is meant for those within the entertainment industry to officially announce the partnership and the intention.

That's true, but they should be giving the same story to everyone. They can't say that in the press release to begin with, and then claim it's false when formatted into a parkour community release. I know they haven't, but your argument is moot unless they want to send mixed messages.

I'm all about Parkour spreading. I would say there's room for competition too, even if I don't support it myself (because I fully understand some do, and that's how they push themselves to be better). The words "global entertainment franchise," however, seem the complete antithesis of PK.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
the media cant possibly portray parkour in the light it is meant to be seen. i mean, we the community had so many issues with parkour and free running. if we had such a problem, just putting the right meaning to words, then the media couldn't possibly do any better.

i dont want parkour to be shown this way but, i havn't seen it so i cant really talk. i just dont feel that showing it to masses of people is the right way to go, its supposed to be a small personal thing, not something for entertainment.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
Sorry but.. this just sounds ridiculously stupid.

Offline AKincaid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
To me, this feels like a big stab in the back from APK.  I don't see how they could have thought this as a good idea.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »
To me, this feels like a big stab in the back from APK.  I don't see how they could have thought this as a good idea.
Explain further...

What I don't like is: "producers of the Emmy-nominated musical/reality phenomenon “American Idol" (FOX), “America’s Got Talent” (NBC), and the longest-running game show in television history, “The Price Is Right” (CBS), among many others."

That means it's in the hands of game-show producers. HUGE game-shows. That contract better be written so they can't ditch APK and continue towards their own goals, which I don't doubt that's what they want. What are their goals? Look at their history, it's not hard to guess.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
*referring to the news release link*
Again. Parkour and Freerunning are the same thing.
Repeat that as many times as needed to get that into permanent memory.

The downside would be competition, although I have to say, the way UF does competitions,
it could be A LOT worse. Ez is doing allright for now. I just keep telling myself, it could be
A LOT worse.

The upside is that Parkour//Freerunning would be introduced to schools! YAY!

Downside to the upside: If introduced to schools, they could get the wrong picture
if the false message holds that pk and fr are different. If that is fixed, and the
width and breadth of parkour in America comes to realize that Parkour and Freerunning
are in fact the same...(TELL ME THIS: WHOM OF THE FOUNDERS EVER SAID THEY WERE DIFFERENT!?)
...then the upside might just overway the down side.

I'm not really going to get too worried for a couple reasons. One is I know that people are so lazy,
there won't be a MASSIVE turnout of new permanent practitioners. There will be a minor
jump and that's it.

However, a jump, no matter how small, as all practitioners are aware of, can be very dangerous. We could
very well see a mass number of injuries spread due to people just wanting to look cool on T.V.
and not taking the proper amount of time to train.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:10:51 PM by NoRush »

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
Parkour and Freerunning are the the same thing like Longboarding and Vert are the same thing.

But that aside, watch the movie 'Redbelt'

Seriously. Thats all you need to do.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
Parkour and Freerunning are the the same thing like Longboarding and Vert are the same thing.

But that aside, watch the movie 'Redbelt'

Seriously. Thats all you need to do.

Unfortunetly I have no idea what Vert is, or longboarding either.

If you cannot answer this question, which of the founders ever said that freerunning,
parkour, or l'art du deplacement are different, then they are the same.
Pretty simple really, no one ever did. Different words, same def.

Watch this, it will actually help clear things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02JgWHhgxr0

Chau explains right in the beginning.

Offline Fyrel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:12:34 AM »
What I'm particularly worried about is what kind of people these shows will attract. The way it is now, people find it through the internet and videos, so we have a very diverse community with people of all ages and social groups. Despite the fact this is a very athletic activity, there's a huge amount of "nerds" or "geeks" doing it. I feel like that community will start fading away once parkour goes commercial. Once it goes on TV, there's a certain stigma that it gains, which may make it too "edgy" for some of the more diverse people who would otherwise be interested in it. By now there's really no questioning that competition or commercialization will happen; I just hope APK does it right and doesn't try to make it seem like a grungy street sport. There needs to be people that are relatable to all social groups, otherwise I fear for the parkour community's diversity.

Another thing that worries me is that schools, parks, and other places will see these shows and see them as too dangerous or leading to possible criminal action and putting up "No parkour" signs up. Again, this is mainly worrying about how "cool" they'll try to portray it. Emphasis should be put on where to practice, respect of one's environment, etc. From here our image is not up to the individual practitioners, but up to companies like APK and the WFPF. The new influx of traceurs and freerunners and how they act will be something that will affect the rest of us. Please try to tone down the large moves and acting cool and focus on the beauty and philosophy of our practice; it won't get you as many new practitioners, but there's a better chance for us to keep a better image. It's really on your guy's shoulders now, don't let us down.

b5200

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:16 AM »
If apk starts doing competitions I'm boycotting them.  PKFR International is better anyway, they just don't have an active forum.

Offline PkShinobi

• Guenons
  • Leo Dyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 01:00:10 AM »
If "they" do, I just hope they don't make it over competitive to wear people have bar fights over who won, give the masses the wrong view/idea of it... I don't support the idea of parkour becoming a "competitive" "sport", but if it is going to be competitive don't make it serious or @#$%ing stupid, just something enjoyable and non-violent which so that there would be less riots, fights, deaths over who wins or loses... If it becomes a sport then I would boycott aswell. Competition is nice to have aslong as its "friendly" and not "hostile" our world is bad and @#$%ed enough.
To be honest, I don't think FME has "good" intentions.

I know money talks, but is there any morals, ethics and values left in this world?!

Sad that I experienced a friendly community, and activity for only 2 weeks, now to see that it "looks like" its turning into something that its not.

Parkour is the ‘it’ sport,” said Eugene Young, chief creative officer for FMNA.  “Already an extremely compelling visual phenomenon on the internet, we plan to bring it to a much wider audience via broadcast and cable.”

Why did they call it the "it" sport, In my opinion, I think they want to take advantage of it for profit, not to spread it, but to market it, and change it into something its not.

The primary objective of the deal is to grow the sport into a global entertainment franchise and league competition through live events, a television platform and brand extension opportunities across sponsorship, consumer products, new media and gaming.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Offline Jake Mathew

• Guenons
  • Your City. My Playground.
    • View Profile
    • Enisity.com
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:41 AM »
I just simply don't want to see the values and disciplines of parkour to be thrown out the window once it is commercialized. Things like respect for your environment, and others can easily be replaced with competition, and a "rebellious" attitude where you just go and do whatever you'd like, because you're a traceur. Especially with kids, as they take anything they see on tv and try to emulate it. That's my only real worry. I kinda loved having parkour as that "secret" sport/discipline that i could get away from everything with. People wouldn't question what i was doing, or challenge me, or anything, it was just me and the obstacles in front of me. I don't want it to become something where its all competition and not having fun. It's what happened to skateboarding.
Current 1 Rep Maxes:
Bench: 250       Goal: 300
Deadlift: 375    Goal: 415
Squat: 280       Goal: 315

Total: 905 lbs     Goal: 1030lbs

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »

Unfortunetly I have no idea what Vert is, or longboarding either.

If you cannot answer this question, which of the founders ever said that freerunning,
parkour, or l'art du deplacement are different, then they are the same.
Pretty simple really, no one ever did. Different words, same def.

Longboarding and vert are types of skateboarding. Yeah, they're  both skateboarding, but itd be silly to deny the extreme difference in style, philosophy, and purpose between them. Also watch redbelt. seriously.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
Fyrel: Thanks for your post. I feel that you've presented points in a way that is ACTIONABLE and helpful.

I'll say this now, and I'm sure I'll say it 1,000 MORE times although I wish this once could be it.

We don't want to change Parkour (although parkour is constantly changing) we want more people to be involved.

We do not want to change the way parkour is portrayed, we want it to be acceptable to the public. We don't want to get a reputation like skating has, we never did.

This venture doesn't change our values, it gives them a much larger audience.

As for the comment about Fremantle's goals, does "The Price is Right" or American Idol" somehow hurt somebody or something? Is singing now bad because it's on TV?

no, there will not be bar fights, again, look at the Tribe as being the athletes - do you trust them and their reasons for training? I do.

American Parkour has the goal of spreading parkour and freerunning so that people can practice them and improve themselves. It does this in several ways:
1. An informative Community and News Website
2. a Team of incredibly talented and dedicated people who do this both out of passion and as a profession
3. A chain of gyms where people can go and learn and train and improve
4. A non-profit group which helps bring parkour to schools, educates parks and recs departments, does outreach initiatives
5. A league / professional organization which will have television exposure / TV show(s?) as part of what it does

Each part of this plays a role in how parkour is spread, how it is percieved, and who gets to hear about it and therefore "make the leap" to practice.

My commitment to the community is that #'s 1-4 above will change as little as possible (to say "they won't change"  is irresposnible and unrealistic) - I can say that their missions won't change - Make Parkour and Freerunning accessible so that anyone who wants to practice can find good information on how to train safely and how to progress.

I know and understand many of the arguments against competition, what I suggest is that if you'd like to be helpful, you stay as active as possible, train as hard as you can, help as many people around you as possible, write articles, if you're qualified, teach people formally, if not, help those you can help. Give us SUGGESTIONS on how to do it RIGHT, not just what you're afraid we'll do wrong.

A 3 year old child can flip a light switch and tell you it is broken. It may take a nuclear physicist at the other end to fix the problem and get power restored. Don't point out problems, become part of the solution.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
Don't worry, Mark. I trust you and APK/The Tribe. I just don't quite trust the producers ;)

The difference with singing is it has nowhere near the wow-factor with the general public that PK/FR has. I still want you do do this, but please just watch them closely. :)

And guys, don't assume anything with this. As Travis said, this is just a standard press release. I'm excited to see what happens.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Andrew 'Syn' Obenreder

• Patas
  • MOVE | FLOW | LIVE
    • View Profile
    • Team Sanjuu
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
Well...
Here's my two cents for those of you that care.
I am part of two groups...
PKFR International and the APK Alliance.
Most of you know that PKFR International is anti-competition. PKFR International directors Dylan Baker, James Phillips, and myself have been working hard to prevent competition since the beginning and will continue to strive to keep parkour a non-competitive discipline rather than a competitive sport. There is "good competition" in parkour but it's competition within yourself to better yourself. The point is that since I have been working with APK, my views and principles about competition have NOT changed. But, what has changed is my faith in Mark and my fellow APK team mates. Their dedication to movement, their goals and principles, and experience help assure me that things will be alright in the long run and even if competition occurs, I think it will be done more responsibly, more respectfully, and less competitively than the Barclaycard World Championships and Redbull Art of Motion. I'm not going to sit here and say everything will be 100% perfect and that there won't be any loss or change but I'd rather have people I trust do something I'm against than have people I don't trust make things even worse!

As Will James would say, "PKFR OUT!"  ;D
"Our goal isn't for it to be spectacular, to show off, or to gain respect. We merely do this for self gain and to help each other grow mentally and physically, to break our limits, and to be able to flow; just as the water does."

Team Sanjuu

Worldwide Movement Association

Offline Jarv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
Agreed.  This is big, and it can totally work without destroying the art.  I know if you get Mark, Skipper, Leon, Travis, the rest of the tribe and APK working together, everything will be in good hands.  I'm excited to see what can happen.
PK FIRE!