Author Topic: Not getting my diet  (Read 8064 times)

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Not getting my diet
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
-----------
PLEASE NOTE - This thread is no longer sticky as it has been replaced by http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=12681.0

-Chris Salvato
-----------

I am relatively new to the eating right thing, I have read through most of the topics but can't seem to create a diet that suits me. It seems like in trying to keep the verity of things in the house I will need a lot of my food goes bad.

My goal is to loose body fat and gain a little muscle. So I figured I would ask someone more experienced for advice.  If anyone could just give me a recommended diet to start with my goals in mind I think I can adapt it to my body but building a diet from the ground up seems beyond me at least at this point. Any advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:11:38 AM by Chris Salvato »
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Not getting my diet
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »
List from these categories foods that you enjoy.  Food shouldn't be going bad.  You will likely need to shop more frequently or purchasing frozen/canned vegetables and freezing your meat if you want to buy a lot in advance.  While this reduces the foods quality, it need not be worried about while just getting started.

List 2-3 things, minimum, from each of these categories that you Enjoy or can tolerate:
1) Vegetables
2) Fruits
3) Beans
4) Meats
5) Fish
6) Nuts
7) Seeds

Some more specific foods that you need to let us know if u enjoy/tolerate don't fit into these categories (or they are not apparent). These include:
A) Olives
B) Avocados
C) Coconuts
D) Eggs
E) Dairy
F) Oatmeal
G) Olive Oil

Fill in each of these, in list format if possible.  We will then be able to put together some basic meals to get you through the day.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:38:16 AM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Vegetables        
Carrots                   
Corn
Radish's
Broccoli
Celery

Fruits
Peaches
Pears
Apples
Watermelon
Banana's
Not many fruits I don't like.

Beans
Peas
Lentils
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Pinto beans

Meat
Anything thats not an organ.

Fish
Tuna
Salmon
Tilapia
Cod
Flounder

Nuts
Almond
Brazil nuts
Cashews
Macedamia
Pistachios

Seeds
Sunflower
Poppy
Flax

As for the other stuff my body doesn't take dairy well although I am not lactose intolerant, I just can't eat it in high doses. And I can't stand olives. Other then that I like all that stuff.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
You just made your menu.

I highly recommend making berries a staple in your diet.  Anything from that fruit list is just fine.  Be wary of apples and bananas as they are calorically dense.  Try to keep them involved in a meal, not a standalone snack.

Each meal:
1) At least 2 cups of one of those veggies.  I spruce my veggies by cooking them with onions, garlic and plenty of spices.
2) At least 4-6 oz of LEAN meat or fish.  LEAN meat is poultry (chicken, turkey, hen) and lean cuts of beef.  Avoid beef when you are starting since it is hard to identify the lean cuts when you are new.  I have been known to eat more than 1 lb of meat in one serving - some people argue that's excessive :P  4-6 oz at a minimum is a good place to start.
3) Fruits vary.  No more than 1 banana, pear, peach or apple with your meal.  You can eat berries and melon until your stomach explodes. 
4) If you don't want vegetables, 1 cup of beans can replace them.  You can eat beans with the veggies too.  Never put veggies off if you can help it.  Beans are typically very filling so you can eat these until contented on most occassions.
5) Eat nuts and/or seeds with every meal.  At least 6-10 nuts or half an ounce of seeds.  You can probably eat very little of this if your goal is fat loss.  As you lose fat and your goals change, we can readdress this.

Additionally:
A) Suppliment with 3-5g of fish oil daily.  At a bare minimum, take in 2 grams.  Every day.
B) Drink Green Tea.  Every day.
C) 2 multivitamin pills, with food.  Every day.

This is where we will start.  This is increasing the quality of your food. When you do this you will see results.  If you want to get more serious, we will talk about ratios.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
Ok thank you. That helped out a bunch.

Just a few questions.

Should I eat 4-6 ounces of meat with every meal then?

And where do eggs fit in? I have a soft spot so I need to know how many to allow myself.

I would like to know about ratios but I am not sure how strictly I will be able to follow it at first.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Yes 4-6 oz of meat with EVERY meal.

Don't worry about ratios just yet.  You need to improve the quality of your food for 3-4 weeks first.  Your body will ned time to adjust.

Eggs are interchangeable with meat.  One egg can be considered roughly one ounce of meat.  And its actually a better source of protein, so eat them as often as you like in quantities as high as you like.

Just FYI, a good ratio to start with is 30% fat, 40% carb, 30% protein.  That's to start.  You REALLY shouldn't be worried about this just yet.  Come back in 3-4 weeks after consistently eating the foods we spoke about while following those guidelines and then you may be ready.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »
Alright. Thanks a lot for the help. I will come back in about a month with the results and any more questions I might have.

It may be off topic but what is a good way to measure body fat? With starting the new way of eating I would like to be able to accurately monitor any changes in BF%.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 04:19:52 AM »
Buy calipers and learn the skin pinch method.

This can be a pain in the ass and if you dont have someone to teach you then it can be difficult.

You can always buy an electronic body fat analyzer.  Thats what I use.  It is not as accurate but its fast and relatively consistent so long as you read the manual on proper use.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306-Body-Fat-Analyzer/dp/B00006WNPU

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
Thanks a lot. I just have one last question. Are grapes in the berry you can eat as many as you want category?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
For now that should be fine while you increase your quality of food.

A general guideline is to consume much less fruit than you do vegetables.

You should be focused on eating while restricting yourself if you are trying to lose weight.

I am wary with a statement like "as much as you want" since if you're already in a habit of overeating this will reinforce that habit

The only foods you can ever eat relatively unlimited quantities of are vegetables....most times you will be way too full before actually seeing a massive caloric contribution from vegetables.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
Okay. I phrased that wrong. What sort of measurement would you suggest with grapes though?

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 03:01:57 PM »
C) 2 multivitamin pills, with food.  Every day.

Why two?  Most pills contain 100%DV of many vitamins and minerals.  Isn't this a bit excessive?
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »
The 100% DV is based on studies done for the general population.  Really, centrums are formulated for the average person under 55.  Thats when they reformulate their pills for a different population.

Firstly, we are not the general population.

The individual asking for advice has implied to me that he is young.  This alone means he needs more of his daily vitamins.

Also, he implies that he is active, or when using this diet, will be active.  This alone means he needs more of his daily vitamins.

Combine these together, he needs tons of his vitamins.

Secondly, its nearly impossible to overdose on vitamins.  Even those that are possible to overdose on would require you actually trying to overdose.  Your body is remarkably good at taking in all the vitamins you need while ignoring the rest.  Quite literally, if you take in too much vitamin content, you void it through your bowels.  This is one of the few times this is actually true.

With this in mind, if you take in too many vitamins via a multi-vitamin, you are making sure that you have enough of what you need.  If you go the other way and take only 1 multi-vitamin, you may be running the risk of not getting your full vitamin profile.

Its kind of like insurance to make sure you fill up your stock of vitamins every day, with no side effects.  Vitamins are crucial to growth, development and progress in your training.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:49:56 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
This is exactly what I needed to hear! And I had no clue that I needed to hear it until thoroughly reading this entire thread haha. Thanks for helping some random guy (me) out!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
no doubt.

I was actually thinking about re-writing this in article format and keeping it short with a more appropriate title.

I will probably do this when i get back home in a few days.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »
Okay so I took forever to get back to this. I was wondering if you would explain the diet proportions (Fat/Carbs/Protein/Ect.) now that I have a better grip on my diet. Also I would like to thank you for you help on getting started. Since I started eating right I feel wonderful.

As for my current diet I will be listing it here (Today was a bad day to start this... Broke so many rules) http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=12949.0.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 06:17:53 AM »
Since I started eating right I feel wonderful.

hehe, these results are typical ;)  I am glad you are enjoying the change!

The ratios are important when starting, just to learn how different macronutrient ratios will affect things like mood, mental clarity and athletic performance.

First, you need to start calculating the caloric macronutrient concentrations of your food.  This means finding the calories that are due to protein, fat and carb.  I think www.fitday.com does this automatically.  Best method, when starting, is to measure your food.  Eventually you get really good at doing this by sight and you don't need a scale anymore.

The best ratio, in my experience, to start with is 30% Fat, 40% Carb and 30% Protein.  If you want to put on weight, keep the amount of carb and protein that you eat, gram for gram, and up the amount of fat.  If you feel sluggish after meals, then you likely need to reduce the amount of carb.  If you feel sluggish in general, you may need to increase the amount of carbs.

A worthwhile investment, at this stage of the game, would be into the book "Mastering the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears.  He goes into detail about the best ways to identify good ratios for yourself by starting with the 30/40/30 ratio and building up from there.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »
So I have a question, Is chicken lean meat? Because on fit day its showing as mostly fat.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
Chicken with the skin is very fatty.  Remove the skin and white meat is pretty much all lean...red meat will be a bit fattier.

Offline Dexter T.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
Okay because what I have been eating is skinless and its mostly breast so I was a little taken back. Thanks a ton.