Author Topic: Novaks Gymanstics Center opening its doors to Parkour in the near future  (Read 1862 times)

Offline bshino

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Thats right you heard it, I finally have been able to talk my coaches into opening their doors to parkour and freerunning.  The idea is to have a safe place to train and perfect movements.  Also the class will be called something to the effect of "Gymnastic Concepts of Pakour."  The gym is in Dumfries, Virginia off of Old Stage Coach rd.  Here is the deal though, they are open to the concept, but here is the deal, the clases would probably take place on Saturdays at 12:00, also while we are beginning to integrate the program we will be able to pay by each time we come to the class (which is about two hours) about $16 dollars.  I want to try and have it set up every other week at first and then later move to every week.  There is a catch after a while of installments they want to get us on a 6 week plan (double check the price later) the thing about it is that the more people that come consistently the cheaper the overall cost for everyone.  So whoever reads this and is in the area that decides to support this leave a message saying so.  Once I have a count then i can come back with the datr of the first class and the prices.

check the attachments for the pics
Training must be such that in a real situation you react right away.
-David Belle

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
This is a bit closer to me than Xtreme..  Might be good to look into.  You say it's a class..  Is it an open session or more structured like a class..?  If the latter, who will be leading it?  I've got plenty of other questions..  If you're trying to do this solo, I wouldn't mind talking to you.  I've experience setting things up with gyms in the past, so I can lend a helping hand if need be.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Worm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Hm, I wonder if you've ever met my good friend Lukas.  That's his family's gym.  Despite his gymnastic skills and far superior conditioning, I'm the one trying to get him into parkour.  Maybe a word of interest got back to his parents?

Offline Blansher

• Guenons
  • Spiritual Creamyness
    • View Profile
    • ParkourVirginia.com
Sweet yeah ill support.
"Ever see someone yelling insane things about the apocalypse on street corners in the city?

This is the online version."  -Andy Keller-

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
This has got me pretty skeptical, even though I'm sure they're good-hearted people.  I sent them an email and I'll probably try calling a few times in the next couple days to schedule a meeting with whoever will be coaching this.  This is the body of the email:

Hello.  My name is Andy Tran and I am the DC Metropolitan representative of Parkour North America.  I was informed recently about your gym showing interest in beginning a Parkour program, and I think that this is absolutely wonderful!  However, there are some small concerns I would like to comment on.  I was told that this program would focus on teaching the "gymnastic concepts of Parkour," and I would very much like to speak to the coach who will be leading these sessions and to garner a fuller understanding of what this program will entail.  The reason this causes concern to me is because there is a tendency among gymnasts to believe that gymnastic concepts transfer over to Parkour when this is actually not the case.  Movements and techniques that work well in a padded environment with spring-loaded floors do not necessarily carry over into the harsh and often unforgiving concrete environment.  It is true that a gymnast can learn Parkour more quickly than others because the central nervous system has been attuned toward movement, but the techniques themselves do not transfer and it may take a long time to correct 'gym habits.'

I have no doubt that your program is developed with the best intentions, but I am concerned for the safety of your students, as you can well understand, being a coach.  Gymnasiums are a great place to train Parkour in a safe environment, but we must be vigilante and aware of how what we learn in the gym can be applied to the outdoors.  I can cite a few examples right now of bad habits that work well inside the gym, but not outside, so you can garner a better understanding of where I am coming from.  The most crucial example is the roll, because the gymnastic concept of a roll involves rolling directly forward, causing maximum contact along the spine.  A Parkour roll involves turning the roll and entering it on one shoulder, just below the shoulder joint and along the muscle, rolling diagonally across the back (making contact with only one or two vertebrae), and exiting the roll from the hip.  The result of this diagonal roll is facing a direction other than the direction entered, and the push-off and exit out of the roll must compensate for this twist.  A gymnastic roll outdoors can cause severe back injury, especially when performed from height.  Another example that comes to mind is the tendency of gymnasts to punch the floor when jumping.  This works wonders for gaining height on a spring-loaded floor, yet our vaults and jumps cannot be performed with a punch on concrete - the result is shin splints.  Many of our take-offs are performed very gently and split-foot, as a result.  There are countless other examples of gymnastic concepts NOT transferring to Parkour.

I believe that the Woodbridge/Manassas area of Virginia needs a gym to train at, and I think it would be a wonderful thing to provide a safe environment and a structured and diligent training session to ensure optimal progression.  I would love to bring in those that I know to your gym and to join your Parkour program, but I could only do that in good conscious if I knew that your students would be learning Parkour properly and in a manner that safely transfers to the outdoor environment.  A program that is labeled "gymnastic concepts of Parkour" simply worries me.  If I could meet with you and discuss potential problems with this, and help you devise a safe and appropriate Parkour program, then my worries would be at ease and I will bring you as much business as I can muster up.  I would prefer to supervise your program and be rather involved with it, or to even coach it if you would be all right with that.  I have been coaching Parkour in a gym environment at Burlington Boys' Gymnastics in Ontario, Canada for quite a length of time, and I would love a place to offer my hand at in Virginia as well as a place where I can feel comfortable training myself.  Let me know what you think.  At the very least, I strongly urge that you accept my proposal to offer my help and to help you devise an effective Parkour program... for the sake of safety.  Thank you for your time.

--
Andy Tran
www.ParkourNorthAmerica.com
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline mcgarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
If they have a mini-trampoline, ropes, and bars to facilitate my Ninja Warrior training, then I'm interested.  Existing open gym sessions in Rockville and Sterling are a bit farther than I want to travel.

MM