Author Topic: PARKOUR GYM OPENING IN CHESAPEAKE, VA!  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Warserpent

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
PARKOUR GYM OPENING IN CHESAPEAKE, VA!
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
Just found this out....

Finally, a place to jam. Grand Opening is tomorrow March 21st, 2008 and if you take their survey online at www.spartafitness.com, you get a free session before April 1, 2008. I checked out the pictures and noticed he's building padded walls and jumps and stuff. Looks cool. How much would you guys pay for a membership here? his site doesn't say anthing about pricing.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
Re: PARKOUR GYM OPENING IN CHESAPEAKE, VA!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
Finally a place to jam? Excuse me but you may jam wherever you feel.

This place looks sketch at best. I've never heard of the guy and in his videos he does not seem to be at a level where he can safely teach others. Sure he's fit and in good condition but his technique isn't refined. If he wants to be taken seriously he should at least make himself known in some community - whether its APK, UF, PK.net, etc. At least so we know he has some credibility.

And how did you find out about this...? It's not even up on his website... and you're from Tahlequah, OK  :P!!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline H3LlIoN

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »
Looks like no square feet at all, e-mailed the dude to find out what's going on.  will post back.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline H3LlIoN

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »
Alrighty, the guys name is Brad, he's been "parkouring" as he put it for two years.  Gym is only 1200 square feet, but March 21-23rd it's free to go check it out.

- JM

Offline zuzma

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
a place to jam? that odd... i spent 3 hours jamming all around williamsburg last night, didnt realise i needed padded walls to do so...
i was excited when i read the thread title, but after seeing the website im really not sure at all. they have a ton of pictures of 2 vault boxes and 3 wall things...? the building looks like the size of your typical martial arts facility, which is rather small. i dont know. im only an hour away from there so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and check it out something soonish.
There is something inside of us greater than any obstacle

Offline H3LlIoN

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Gyms aren't really places to jam, they are places to practice the big stuff that you want to learn with pads, and you're right, i'm not too sure about the size or equipment.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:30:50 AM »
Just found this out....

Finally, a place to jam. Grand Opening is tomorrow March 21st, 2008 and if you take their survey online at www.spartafitness.com, you get a free session before April 1, 2008. I checked out the pictures and noticed he's building padded walls and jumps and stuff. Looks cool. How much would you guys pay for a membership here? his site doesn't say anthing about pricing.

Haha nice blatant advertising Brad.

Offline Kevin Roysden

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »
If the guy who posted this topic is Brad, he could have simply told us all who he was and introduced himself and asked us what a good price would be.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
Posts = 1 >>> Fishy :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline zuzma

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »
wow, i hope the person who started this thread isnt really brad, the guy whos opening the gym... it would suck for him if i felt i already couldnt trust him
There is something inside of us greater than any obstacle

Offline Scottie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34:05 PM »
Okay guys I'd just like to let this be known

The Starter of this topic "WarSerpent", is not Brad. I literally talked to Brad about this in his gym 2 days ago. And no he is not telling this guy to advertise either. Frankly, he has no idea who WarSerpent is or why he would do that, but hey, we cant know everything.

And I did also check out his gym. It may not be the biggest, most equipped place, but it really gets the job done on working on your big vaults and even flips that you need materials such as mats, vault boxes and such to use. Dont knock the gym before you try it just because some people have been talking bad about it. Give it a try, i sure did have a great time and Brad is one of the nicest guys ive met.

Thanks everyone

Offline H3LlIoN

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 06:43:14 AM »
Brad's friend, everyone.  Everyone, Brad's friend. :P

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 07:13:21 AM »
Scottie, the issue is that we aren't willing to immediately trust someone who has not been actively engaged in the community at large at all, and who hasn't taken the time to talk with us, or played a prominent role even behind the scenes in the local, national, or international Parkour communities.  There are plenty of people who work behind the scenes all over the world, but we know who they are by association, and we are willing to trust them.  Brad, to our knowledge, has done none of these things, so how can we trust someone who has rejected community, one of the single most important aspects of Parkour?  To us, it signifies that he doesn't understand Parkour, and has only been steeped into the movements, without looking at the larger implications that are much less tangible.  In Parkour, we pretty much know everyone who is involved basically all over the world, and we build relationships of trust through that.  It is the knowledge that I can go to Florida or to Colorado or to England or to Sweden, and find like-minded people, people who share the values of movement, of discipline, and of community.. and I can openly trust these people to train with, to learn from, to teach to.  Simply put, none of us know Brad and we don't know if he understands Parkour or will spread it in a positive way.  To us, he just seems like another person trying to make some money off of it.  I hope that's understandable.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Crosion_5

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Ultimatetraceur.com
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Well . . . I don't think brad really understands parkour all that much.  He probably saw a video here or there and looked up some moves and tried some things, but never really did any research on it.  Their are a few pics on the site that don't have anything to do with parkour (such as the rock climbing ones).

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:34:05 AM »
I've also spoken with Brad and I'm not saying this gym is bad, I just have the same worries as Animus and Chad do!!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »
eh, it was bound to happen. just go check it out and report back. if its bad then just wait for the business to fail. this all may take care of itself due to simple american economics. if its a good place to train, then horray more positive pk news .

ALWAYS remember kids, stay away from strangers!! :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm
hell i never knew about m2 or apk before i went to primal....... but it was a good place to train. just let it take its course guys  ;).

I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
^ But you did know that it was a well-spoken of or highly regarded place, correct?  I doubt you'd go otherwise.

Nobody's really saying not to go, just throwing up the "proceed with caution" sign.  An unfamiliar face starting a parkour-related business is not exactly common, so doubts will be there until they are proved to be unneccessary.
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline Milquetoast

• Patas
  • ... was Milquetoast but not anymore...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
Well, I started going to Primal without knowing the first thing about it or Parkour.  I just saw an article about it in the local paper and (after a few months of procrastination) decided to email M2 and then just showed up.  It wasn't until a few months in that I heard about apk and realized how involved Mark was in the community.  Having said that, as long as Brad is a nice guy and capable of teaching the physical aspects of Parkour, I think I would have been perfectly happy starting at his gym (if his was the closest gym and I didn't discover Parkour until now).

ALWAYS remember kids, stay away from strangers!! :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm
hell i never knew about m2 or apk before i went to primal.......

... and did you go camping with Mark back then, Terry?   :P