Author Topic: Parkour Summer Camp  (Read 23197 times)

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Parkour Summer Camp
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
I recently put this together, thinking it would be great for Parkour to be publicized in a good light.
It's a Parkour/FreeRunning Summer Camp.
I thought about it for only one night, so details and such aren't perfected.
Go ahead and give your advice and comments, because this affects us all.
I plan to put this into effect within the next ten years.
It seems like a good goal, with a good set time.

Here are just a few details.

The Parkour summer camp will have the camper learn different things throughout a number of years.

Year One: Learn Rolls, landings, Lazy's, Monkey's, Underbars.

Year Two: Practice Rolls Learn Kongs, Wallruns, Balancing,(every kind) Precisions, Turn Vaults.

Year Three: Practice Rolls, Learn Double-Kong's, Reverse Vaults, Gate Vaults, Thief Vaults.

Year Four: Practice Rolls and Basics learned in previous years. Choice of FreeRunning Basic Flips(Frontflips, Backflips, Wallflips, Palm Spin, Wall Spin, etc.)

Year Five: Practice all things learned in previous years, and help out with beginners.

Year Six & +: Choice to become Camp counselor, have fun, practice PK/FR.

A few things learned other than Techniques will of course be:

*Philosophy
*Fitness & Nutrition
*Proper Strength & Conditioning
*Learn Proper Stretching and Warm Ups

The Camp will be comprised of:

A Gym: Consisting of various mats, free weights, swimming pool, etc.
A Grub Hall(cafe, cafeteria, food lounge, etc)
A Track(for running obviously)
Cabins for men, and women.(separate)
Classrooms: For Fitness & Nutrition, Philosophy, etc.
Nurse Office(A Must.. lol)
Outside/Inside Obstacle Course(Kinda like at the swimming pool, they have an indoor pool, and an outdoor pool. separated by a thin wall, etc.)
Tree's:D )

If you have anything you wish to add I would love to hear it.

Meals will be given 4 times a day, with 2-3 snacks.
Meals will comprise of:
*Meat
*Veggies
*Fruit
*Grain(bread...)
etc.

Snacks will comprise of:
*Milk
*Fruit
*Granola
*Nuts
*Sandwiches.. lol

It may very well take ten years for this to be a reality, but I am very much so dedicated to it becoming such.

If one of you can make this a reality sooner.. call me, I would like to help.

Any advice or comments, etc.. are welcomed and wanted.

Peace
-Paddy

Offline Hombre13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour Summer Camp
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Alright, In all honesty I am very new to pk.  I got maybe a month and a half under my belt.  But I am absolutely enthralled by it.  You probably won't see me post much just because I am a quiet person, but i'll roam these forums for hours.  I practice every single day, at least an hour a day, depending on if I can get people to practice with me.  If you were able to get something like this running it would be absolutely amazing.  I would help in any way possible, be it funding or anything else.  Hit me up if you get this more thought out and get an approachable way of doing it.

Aaron

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
your curriculum is spread out too much. someone at a parkour camp for an entire summer could easily grasp all the basics. its better to focus more on applying movements to real parkour situations rather than just teaching the specific technique and treating it like a trick list to check off as you go.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »
I forgot to mention the camp last 4-6 weeks.

As for the curriculum I had meant for a slow progression so that injuries would be fewer, but you're right.

My mind is drawn up blank as of now, any idea's Ryan?

Maybe games such as Tag, Follow The Leader, etc..

thank you, that was the kind of post I was looking for Ryan.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
In 6 weeks of a "camp like" environment, most people could probably learn the first three years worth of stuff, if not a bit of week 4. By no means perfect it, but I agree with Demon, it's far too spread out.

Also, after year one, by the time year two comes about I'm sure everyone would have already tried a lot of that stuff.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »
I'll revise it tonight then.
thank you.

JVParkour

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
I think its awesome. I would really enjoy something like that, and I feel that all age would want to go to something like that.  I agree about the cirriculum being to spread out, but maybe you could have classes, and halfway through camp they could get evaluated to see if they should move up or something...
I would say the most difficult part of this would be aquiring a piece of property to use...but I still thinks its possible and would be willing to help however!

Offline Austin Winstel

• Guenons
  • its never an end, only an opportunity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
I agree with demon, but in all honesty a summer camp is a great idea. A good central location with a lot of obstacle courses, and of course some good food and you got yourself an amazing camp.
The moment you think of quitting you have already lost

Moa

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »
I think it should be gaged (or however you spell it) to the persons level not prior summer camp experience. I am probably ready to begin free-running movements yet I would be in my first year of camp. Great idea it would be so cool to have like an area built for pk i can imagine rolling in to see blocks of cement caressing the landscape with bars and mats everywhere.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »
Thats a fantastic idea, although I'd have to agree with the rest. In the first 2 weeks of those 4 to six weeks, every conditioning hard, you can learn all the bases, then the rest of the weeks continue the conditioning and apply PK to real life situation.

But the idea is very innovative and fantastic.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »
YES!! i want this to happen within 5 years but thats just me..this will help many beginners (including me). i do think that over the time you have, people can learn more because more people are there. i would also imagine it would be somewhere in the mountains with wood cabins and blocks,bars,walls everywhere. thats just me though. its a great idea and i hope it happens very soon.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 05:06:39 AM »
that is an incredible idea
*applauds paddy*

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »
Parkour boot Camp at primal fitness is a 6 week course, 3 days a week. Each week is a new technique (week 1, landing/rolling, week 2 vaulting, etc.), and if they dont get it on the first 2 classes, they almost always get it the 3rd class. If they are there working on it all day everyday for 4-6 weeks, they will be pretty damn good traceurs by week 3 of the first year. Trust me, doing it all in one summer is still a very nice and slow progression that just about anyone could complete safely. And also, do you expect them not to progress on their own over the other seasons? If they learn rolling for 4-6 weeks and go home for 10 months, I think they would find it within themselves to learn something else on their own, and then when it comes time to learn vaults the next summer, they will be bored because they have been doing vaults for 10 months prior.

Not to destroy the idea, its a good one, but it would need to be a summer camp that is divided between beginners, intermediate, and advanced, lasting 4 or 5 weeks, and in that time, doing every basic movement and perfecting it (all day everyday, you will have time to perfect it), and the next year, you are the next level up (beginners are now intermediates, etc).

Would be fun! come live in DC for a few weeks in the summer, well put you through a boot camp at Primal Fitness!

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »
that seems a bit extreme for real beginners
i wouldnt be able to learn at that fast a pace

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
I'm not certain that that would be that quick a pace. When I look at his list schedule the first year is very easy stuff and it is after 2 years that you learn wall runs. Everybody is different.

I would love a parkour camp. I know there wouldn't be one near me and I would be out of luck (and even if it was close by I would be unable to go due to my father. I have thought about showing him that movie but he would still probably not approve....no matter: I still love parkour.). It is a great idea though, hope you can pull it off. 8)
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »
Ok, with your post, and some things I left out,(God I'm bad at the.. sucky memory DIE)
Here's some more info, to help.

True, people are at all different levels.
But I said in my original post, it was a rough draft so to say.

So this will be a rough draft addition as well.
just because I can't create perfection in two nights... I'm not *Insert otherworldly ruler here**

It's a Parkour Camp for people that have never really known what parkour is.
I didn't think that you guys.. Ozzi, Moa, Demon, Skipper, HappyDud.. would attend it as.. say students?
I was thinking with your level of skill,(remember I plan on this in the next 10 years) you would be camp counselors and teachers.

However you're right, everyone is at a different level, and I will need to revise it even more.

If it were to be 4-6 weeks long it would have to have a lot more thrown into it.
such as a creativity week. where each camper must create a new move.. I put it in this light just for easy demonstration, I know there are no moves.. lol
Idea's such as that, would make this wholesome.
Also.. I stated that this affects us all.
so if you want to see Tag, follow the leader, or creativity week, those are just some examples, feel free to have your own ideas.. but, if you want to see it in this camp.. tell me.
I pretty much know now.. pretty much, but not definitely, there's always more to fix in a project like this... I pretty much know now what needs to be fix (i.e. the curriculum)

So gimme your ideas for what you would want in your parkour camp.

Thank you guys.. you been an awesome help!

-Paddy

Offline Tony - Shinobi TXPK/EPPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • El Paso Parkour
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »
Something other than PK might draw parents in to allow their children to attend.  For example, a curriculum on down time.  Perhaps CPR and BLS certification programs, classes on fitness, nutrition, anatomy, and physiology. 
As per a location, I read a story about summer camps around the country getting shut down due to a drop of attendance.  If there was an investor and/or sponsorship by a big corporation, the amnenities are there along with a a skeleton structure.   Just modify it for PK/FR specific needs (gym, obstacle courses, etc).

Tony
Fight or Flight
Check on the rep, yep, second to none!

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 05:32:56 PM »
I dislike this idea.  As Demon said, this is just perpetuating the whole "trick list mentality" and I would hope any traceur worth his/her breath would see the immediate problems with that.  In addition to this, any "Parkour camp" would be focused on two things primarily: 1) proper conditioning and 2) general movement over obstacles WITHOUT dividing things up into techniques.  It just seems like a poor idea and something that wouldn't be executed properly.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Tony - Shinobi TXPK/EPPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • El Paso Parkour
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
I dislike this idea.  As Demon said, this is just perpetuating the whole "trick list mentality" and I would hope any traceur worth his/her breath would see the immediate problems with that.  In addition to this, any "Parkour camp" would be focused on two things primarily: 1) proper conditioning and 2) general movement over obstacles WITHOUT dividing things up into techniques.  It just seems like a poor idea and something that wouldn't be executed properly.

Quit beating a dead horse.  He already stated that he would be revising the whole curriculum after taking into consideration what Ryan said.  If there is a camp, you are going to have some sort of structured lesson plan, otherwise it's just chaos.  And on top of that it's just an idea, and a good one, as long as it's executed well.  I would love having a place to go learn PK every year without having to travel to random cities, unsure of jam dates.  If there was a training facility, many people would attend.

Paddy, another thing is the issue with age. Many of us are 18+ and usually mixing ages between youngsters and older people attending summer camps is usually a nono.  Any ideas?

Tony
Fight or Flight
Check on the rep, yep, second to none!

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »

Quit beating a dead horse.  He already stated that he would be revising the whole curriculum after taking into consideration what Ryan said.  If there is a camp, you are going to have some sort of structured lesson plan, otherwise it's just chaos.  And on top of that it's just an idea, and a good one, as long as it's executed well.  I would love having a place to go learn PK every year without having to travel to random cities, unsure of jam dates.  If there was a training facility, many people would attend.

Paddy, another thing is the issue with age. Many of us are 18+ and usually mixing ages between youngsters and older people attending summer camps is usually a nono.  Any ideas?

Tony
Fight or Flight

What I meant is that a Parkour camp is a bad idea, period.  It's unrealistic.  However, a training facility is a good idea.  But we'll be having a lot more of those popping up in the near future.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia