Author Topic: Here is an idea  (Read 3500 times)

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
Here is an idea
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
How about we try to put together the first every APK member jam. Mods fom each state can submit pics of the best spots around m2 can choose the location. All members interested can join an email list. Then he sends an email to everyone containing the info/location/date&time/etc. Then we jam it up. You can do it every year with a different state every year.

Just a suggestion. ;D ;D
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Here is an idea
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your idea. Pretty much, the way it happens already is, people who want to host a jam offer to host, and then they are responsible for setting it up, posting dates/times/etc. People who want to attend take the initiative to arrange their own transportation, etc. Are you suggesting something different from this?

Also, I'm not sure I'm down with the idea of asking M2 to do more work for APK than he already does. Planning a jam takes a lot of effort.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
yeah you got a point but i was thinking everyone can chip in in the process of setting up a jam and deciding where it should be since we shouldnt ask m2 to do it
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
I think I'm missing something. Are you suggesting we decide together as a group where the jam should be? I think I had too much eggnog; I seriously can't get my head around what your idea is. :P

<-- feels dumb.

www.madisonparkour.com

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »
yeah that is basicly what I'm saying.

P.S. Were you trying to run the eggnog mile. ;D

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
Well Muse.. think of it like this, there are around 20,000 apk members about now, and only 10,000 people may be able to make it, and out of those people 5,000-7,000 may actually want to go to a jam.

So trying to find a place for 5-7,000 people is just plain dumb. You'd have to get a very big city, and every motel, hotel, and whatnot would be booked solid.

So first off finding a place would be the hardest, because thats a lot of people, second, it's gotta have great hotspots and lots of them.

As for everything else.

Well... damn I forgot, but I guess what I want to say is... think about it a little more, work out the kinks dude.
I for one would love to come, but I wouldn't have any way of doing it as of right now.

Unless you had it in Boise, Idaho which I wouldn't recommend.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:00:42 PM »
Well Muse.. think of it like this, there are around 20,000 apk members about now, and only 10,000 people may be able to make it, and out of those people 5,000-7,000 may actually want to go to a jam.

So trying to find a place for 5-7,000 people is just plain dumb. You'd have to get a very big city, and every motel, hotel, and whatnot would be booked solid.

So first off finding a place would be the hardest, because thats a lot of people, second, it's gotta have great hotspots and lots of them.

As for everything else.

Well... damn I forgot, but I guess what I want to say is... think about it a little more, work out the kinks dude.
I for one would love to come, but I wouldn't have any way of doing it as of right now.

Unless you had it in Boise, Idaho which I wouldn't recommend.

I think your prediction of 5-7k is a little unreasonable. Yes there are 20k members, but how many are duplicate accounts, what about inactive ones that haven't been used since the day they were made. How many are actually active members that check this site at any form of regular interval. Also think about the age ranges, I'm sure quite a number of the users on this site are younger people, some with no means of transportation outside of parents. This cuts down that 20k number and in turn the 5-7k down drastically. I think when all is said and done we're left with more like 2-4k that are actually ABLE to drive out of state to a jam. Then far less that are actually dedicated enough to parkour to feel like driving a possibly significant distance for a jam. In all reality I think that at most, 200-300 people would show up, and thats even being very optimistic.

Look at other national jams that were posted on this site MONTHS in advance most never even got over 100.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:03:15 PM by Kurokaze »
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
Thats true, but my thinking was like... this is the APK JAM!
everyone is gonna wanna come.
so I think sure at least a 100, no more than 500 would be a good line to follow.
But still think of all the people, that aren't only on this forum, they may spread word of it to other forums such as PKFR, or UFF, or other such forums.
We may, if people show up from all forums.. around 500-700 people..
Ya gotta think what if, instead of this is plausible.
cause if you always think plausibly, then you may underestimate things.
say for instance... you think at most 200 people are coming, so you make plans for that.
and 700 people show up.. where are you now? Stuck?

My calculations were very much off, but it was merely an example to help Muse, and not a serious prediction.

Offline Cloud

• Ryan Cousins
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Alliance - TEAM N00B YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Aero
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
I've honestly been to just about every major Jam in the US including the old Toronto jam years ago, besides the west coast.  Out of all those jams the biggest was 100 people,  and thats a lot of freaking traceurs.  Honestly people from Europe aren't going to fly here for a jam.  Mexico is too far, Canada isn't very well connected with the US scene and there are some old grudges restricting communication. 

So this just leaves the US in terms of people who are going to go.  In the past we have announced official US jams all of them came out with under 100 peeps.  This already gets done every year and if it is going to be a good year then i'd guess it would be under 200.

The problem is the US is so big.  If  jam is hosted in the west then the east won't go.  If its hosted in the East then the west doesn't come.  If its hosted in the Midwest then only a few from the east come =)

Also traceurs in general don't have a lot of funds so traveling is hard.  plus prolly 3/4 of the US traceurs are under 20 so you have to deal with that has well.

Long story short...
the US is too big and no matter where you host a jam someone is going to suffer.

Get with the flow...

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
The reason I was confused initially is because most of the jams that get posted in the "National Jams" section, I consider to be "APK" jams. So I wasn't sure what was being proposed that was any different from what had been done before (Chicago, Colorado, etc.) At those, attendance was <100 simply for the reasons people have stated in previous posts.

The cool part about having an active scene in each region of the US is that over the course of a summer, almost everyone in the country at least has access to a big jam. While a huge national jam would be cool, I don't foresee it happening for the reasons Cloud stated, and also because the regional jams take care of giving people everywhere access to a jam anyhow.

On top of that, I don't think a jam of more than about 100 people would even be feasible, no matter how large the city. It's a logistics nightmare, and no matter how "cool" city officials and law enforcement are with parkour, hundreds of traceurs would put a damper on that right quick, no matter how respectful and appropriate they are.

Lastly, as more people develop their skills and the "scene" in their areas, we will see more and more jams crop up in more places. I've seen this already just between 2007 and 2008. So that's even more opportunities for us APK-ers to get together. :D

www.madisonparkour.com

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
just putting the thought out :)