Author Topic: Roll Pain  (Read 110552 times)

Offline ArtsyWright

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Pain
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »
My roll problem: Wherever I roll it hurts, and it's a joint problem. I am NOT scraping anything anywhere. My shoulder doesn't hurt because of it hitting concrete (I'm doing it on carpet now), it's hurting because I think I'm just....I don't know.

When I go into my roll, the first thing to hit the ground (besides my hands obviously) is the top-front of my shoulder. And it HURTS now. Again, it doesn't hurt a scrape pain, and the skin isn't tender, I can just feel the JOINT pain. And I have no joint problems, and I'm only 15.

What part of your shoulder should hit the ground? Could somebody please post a picture showing what part of their shoulder hits the ground first? Cause mine hurts. A lot.

Also, I know, don't do rolls for a while.

I actually had a problem with shoulder joint pain just a little bit ago, and I don't know if my problem is the same as yours, but I found out that I was catching too much of my weight with my arms, because I'd gotten so paranoid of slamming into my shoulder. What helped me was practicing "sweeping" my hurt arm under me rather then putting it palm down. It forced me to lighten the load on it, so after a while I could go back to what I was doing with my new habits.
Hope that helps, or is even relevant. :)

Offline guitarkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
i've only just started learning parkour but i was taught how to properly roll in bootcamp. at the most, you should only feel slight discomfort from a roll. unless you are rolling straight along the spine. the roll should be distributed across the back and shoulders.

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »
I was actually about to post a question that I had about roll pain, that I assumed was because I am so skinny. 

When I do rolls (on grass), my form seems fine, but I keep hurting my shoulder right on top of the bumpy part of my scapula. 
(http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/hypergeek14/scapula.png)

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I wouldn't dare try rolling on concrete if grass scratches me up. 
Try the part by your shoulder. Out from your head. Watch videos of traceurs rolling.

Offline Jacob Wood

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
you should only feel slight discomfort from a roll. unless you are rolling straight along the spine. the roll should be distributed across the back and shoulders.

u should feel no discomfort ever. period. if it is not comfortable then your not doing it right.  And u should never roll straight along the spine.

Offline WQ F

• Patas
  • Group Theory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »
I think I have a problem related to this. When I jump off something, even if it's a small jump, the roll usually feels fine, but when I start from stationary position, it feels like I'm smashing my shoulder against the floor. Why's that? What can I do to make the motion smoother and not smash into the floor?
Thanks. :)
You shouldn't try to do multiple experiments to calculate linear vertical acceleration over large distances.

Offline nick anderson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
i tripped on a 9 footish drop and tryed to roll now ive got pulled tendons in my shoulder lol
got Jesus?

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »
I think I have a problem related to this. When I jump off something, even if it's a small jump, the roll usually feels fine, but when I start from stationary position, it feels like I'm smashing my shoulder against the floor. Why's that? What can I do to make the motion smoother and not smash into the floor?
Thanks. :)
Maybe it's because you have more forward momentum when you jump. The momentum helps with practice quite a bit. But be careful, don't go past what you can handle.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »
I've got myself a problem on cement.

Whenever I roll (from a crouched position) my back is perfectly fine and so is everything else, except that the left side of my knee hurts from hitting it on the cement at the end of the roll. When I push with my legs to get back into a standing position what part of my legs should I be using?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Nocc

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
I've just started practicing my rolls for a couple days and my form obviously needs work and I know that rolls should never hurt, but since I've been doing them wrong my shoulder has started to kill, some times i can roll perfect and it feels fine, other times i just slam my shoulder and now its all bashed up. Should I take a break and let my shoulder return to full capacity before trying to practice my rolls again?
Kinda Big for PK :-P

Offline Jacob Wood

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »
I've just started practicing my rolls for a couple days and my form obviously needs work and I know that rolls should never hurt, but since I've been doing them wrong my shoulder has started to kill, some times i can roll perfect and it feels fine, other times i just slam my shoulder and now its all bashed up. Should I take a break and let my shoulder return to full capacity before trying to practice my rolls again?
yea let it heal

Offline parkourwill11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Rolls should NEVER EVER EVER hurt.  Ask any one who has been doing it for more then a year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please M2 or one of the Tribe back me up on this.

I listened to Idiots like the ones on here and now I have permanent damage!!!

Don't listen to them.  Rolls are an art and should NEVER hurt.

I think what he is trying to say is there should never be bruises or long term injuries/pain after rolling, there will always be light pain from rocks or sticks etc...
I think what he is trying to say is there should never be bruises or long term pain but there will always be pain from rocks sticks etc...

Offline Adrianortiz

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »
I have that problem. But I know im doing it right but the pains in my right shoulder and around my left hip. I have a small paintball vest and I put it on when I know im gonna be rolling on asfualt or concrete.

Offline Tom "Hayabusa" Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Self-training wanna-be from Guam...lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »
I'm having a strange issue with my rolls.  When I first started doing my rolls, there was little to no pain and I went through the motions fairly smoothly.  But lately, I've been practicing on grass and I've been coming down on weird areas of my back. 

I'm left-handed, so I mainly lead off of my left side, and I've been trying to narrow the issue down as the area of pain seems to be mainly in my lower left back.  I think I might not be tucking in tight enough, or my rolling style isn't quite right for my body type, but I think I'm overshooting my shoulder entirely, because I keep feeling the impact on my lower back, almost like I landed from a fall straight on my ass and missed the soft part. 

I usually push off with my back leg to simulate momentum and throw myself into the roll, but I'm pretty sure I'm not angling my body enough because all the impact seems to going into my left side, either on the shoulder or the lower back.  What's weird is that everytime I try to change the angle of the roll to a more diagonal slant, I still end up hitting my left side.  Any tips on cleaning this up?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline TheMexican

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
My rolls feel GREEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTT...when I do them in the sand, haha :) On concrete I just land on my feet and then keep running. I need to work on those :/ I found a great video online with David rolling but I can't find it any more. Any ideas?

Offline EdgeRunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
Alright, first post.  ;D Just recently started Parkour (literally like 4 days ago), and after watching Ozzi's tutorial I feel my rolls are a lot smoother. One thing, though. Since I've started practicing them, my glutius medius muscles (the ones above your butt where your body starts to curve to your sides) have gotten pretty sore.
I've had a sore lower the past week or so, even before I was practicing, and was wondering if that could be having some weird effect on the rest of my roll. Should I wait till the soreness is gone before I practice any more?

Offline Newbdragoon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2008, 05:54:23 AM »
Hello everyone! I've just recently started Parkour as well, always been interested in it and decided that rolls would be a good place to start. I've looked up some info on them from different sites, and saw a few tutorials - Ozzi's definitely takes the cake though, haha. I've been practicing them on carpet every night for 30 minutes, 15 for each shoulder. Hammering out my form and doing rolls over and over and over has given me quite a few bruises on my back - is this a good way to train? Should I take a break for a few days to let my sores die down? There's no major pain or anything, just light bruises, and my muscles are usually a little sore. Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline animaul

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2008, 08:12:06 AM »
Practice rolling just to the right or left of your spine staying on muscle rather than bone. Only practice a few rolls a day, then move onto something else, if it is painful or "sore" in your lowerback, definately work on something else. Practicing pain is not useful.

Offline Newbdragoon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2008, 12:49:34 PM »
It's not really my lower back, just my shoulders and hips from times when I rolled wrong.  :P

Also, should I be training on only one shoulder? I figured it'd be best to be good with both, to be more flexible.

Offline EdgeRunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
I think it was my sore lower back being referred to, to clear up confusion. Thanks for confirmation, though. I definitely felt like I shouldn't be practicing with it hurting, but I wanted to practice anyway  ::) I guess I'll just do conditioning and stuff until it feels better.

Offline Ifrit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
So proper rolls should not hurt?

I've seen at least four versions of the roll: 

One where you place both hands down horizontally on top of each other, then tuck your head under your left arm when rolling over your right shoulder.  This is the one I use.

One where you place both hands down vertically a distance apart from each other then roll over a chosen shoulder youtube video

One where you have one hand in front of the other, then use your arms as a wheel so you roll from your forearm to your elbow to your shoulder youtube video

and another where you don't tuck your head and you just place both hands down on top of each other horizontally and roll over a shoulder.

Is any one roll better than the other?