Author Topic: Roll Pain  (Read 113067 times)

Offline Zxmbies

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Roll Pain
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
Today I tried my first roll on concrete and it hurt my spine a bit. I think it's because I'm really skinny and my spine sticks out a little bit when I bend over. Has anyone had a similar issue and have any advice on how to not hurt myself in the future?
From the dead will rise a plague to consume the homes of both the light and the dark. There is no salvation, only escape.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Pain
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »
On thing you can do is watch the video that shows david belle's rolls and try to mimic them.

Second thing is curl up in a ball on concrete and wobble around and find a path that doesn't include pain and incorporate that into your roll.

These are things that were told to me when I was having problems with mine.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
if your having pain it doesnt sound like your doing them right to me whatch this video and see if you are doing something different than this  http://youtube.com/watch?v=5tJAyNxig_A
Parkour has helped me grow as much mentally as it has physically.

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
Also, seeing as you said just a BIT of pain, when you start rolling on concrete you will have a little pain. Like everything else in parkour, you have to keep practicing and progress slowly, and condition yourself, and then it won't hurt. I still have pain in my lower back when I roll on hard things, but its not like it doesn't go away. As long as the pain goes away, and I assume it does, it will prolly just take time to get used to rolling on concrete. I mean, its not like you can have a perfect roll. In a perfect roll, no matter what surface you were on, it would feel like grass, basically. And no one on earth can do that.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:16:48 AM »
Rolls should NEVER EVER EVER hurt.  Ask any one who has been doing it for more then a year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please M2 or one of the Tribe back me up on this.

I listened to Idiots like the ones on here and now I have permanent damage!!!

Don't listen to them.  Rolls are an art and should NEVER hurt.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Fiddlinboy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »
Try several hundred rolls on grass first.  Any areas that feel even slightly bumped / bruised will feel much worse on concrete.  Try rolls from a standing position before taking them with speed and height.

I'm skinny with a "bony" spine, and rolls should NOT hurt, even on concrete / asphalt.  There isn't a conditioning phase where you learn to deal with the pain of bruising your spine, pain simply means poor technique.

Strangely, what helped me the most was not using my hands AT ALL.  Unless you are falling from a great height, you should be able to roll directly from your feet to your preferred shoulder without even touching the ground with your palms.  Everybody's roll appears to be slightly different, but that (along with practice) seems to magically keep anything hard on my back from hitting the concrete.  Parkour rolls definately aren't vertical, but erring on the side of too horizontal can cause the same problems.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
i agree with freestylefox here i mean any pain to your spine is serious pain that should not be ignored otherwise you will suffer further down the road in life

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
if your having pain it doesnt sound like your doing them right to me watch this video and see if you are doing something different than this  http://youtube.com/watch?v=5tJAyNxig_A

Wow I like that video, is pretty cool.. Oh yeah thats me  ;D

Rolls should NEVER EVER EVER hurt.  Ask any one who has been doing it for more then a year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill back that up. I have seen videos where they say, trust me it hurts but you just gotta deal with it WRONNNNNNNGG... if you are performing a good roll they should feel soft and smooth.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »
haha woops i shoulda referenced to you ozzi....that is a really nice tutorial it helped me a ton

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:41:42 PM »
Well seeing as everyone seems to disagree with me, I'm gonna defend myself. At the start, when you first learn rolls, PAIN IS A TEACHER!!! It shows you what to do and what not to do. SO at first, you prolly will feel pain. Did any of you get it perfect the first time? I seriously doubt it. I'm sure that you felt some pain, and then you realized what you were doing wrong, and you fixed it, and it didn't hurt anymore.
Also the thread starter did not specify what kind of pain. Does he mean spine pain like, bone pain? If so, then yes, you're doing something wrong. But if it is just surface pain, which is what I figured, then it prolly IS just being new to rolls. For example, if you scrape your back on a roll, I would say that you maybe did a little thing wrong, but it is no big deal. Another example, if on one roll you maybe hit your back a little, and then on the next one, it is ok, then GUESS WHAT!!! You made a mistake, but your roll technique might not be all that bad.

I don't appreciate being called an idiot. I may not have a whole lot of experience, but I do know that my roll technique is pretty good, and I have never hurt myself doing ANYTHING in pk or fr. So please, if your gonna jump down my back and flat tell me I'm wrong, realize I may be confused, or I may have taken a different meaning of the original post.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
Oh man, No one made any reference to you being an idiot.

I saw a tutorial one this guy said while rolling it would ALWAYS hurt. Which is wrong. You might feel disconfort in the beginning not pain. If you are still feeling pain, seeing that you wonder if it will go away you might be doing something wrong, on the other hand a friend of mine says it always hurts on hip and I checked his rolls and they look fine. It might be that some peoples hip bones are a bit bigger than normal..

Here is that video, there are a few thing wrong with that technique but i wont get into it.
 Ghandi

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:59:17 AM »

Sorry but I kind of took that to mean me. Its not that you called me anything Ozzi, and maybe FSF didn't mean me either, but I just got a little pissed off when he said that.

And yes, that is what I meant. Discomfort is a lot better word than pain, cause I guess that is what you feel. I was just trying to make sure that no one tried to fix technique that was fine, only because it felt a little odd or hurt a little.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
Oh I forgot  about that guy's comment, yeah I really dont think he used he best approach by calling idiots in here. If he has permanent damage is no one but his own fault. I just preffered to ignore it.

Anyway, yeah like on my tutorial, I rolled about 20 times on concrete to shoot it so at the end I was feeling a little disconfort, nothing to bad. But yeah if it is pain what one feels, there is something that needs to be fixed.

We are cool bro...
 Ghandi

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:10:14 PM »

are you calling me an idiot? and if so..why?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 01:54:10 AM »

are you calling me an idiot? and if so..why?

Huh, me..?? no man, someone was talking about this

Ghandi

Offline thewho891

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »
so basically i'm just starting parkour. and i figured that rolls and landing would be the best way to start. so at first my rolls sucked, but now their coming along pretty well. i can jump off low heights into a roll blah blah. so now my right shoulder is pretty sore. its probably normal since im just starting, but is their something i could be doing wrong?

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
If its sore a lot of the time, then that is bad. Videotape your form and look at it, and compare it to a GOOD roll tutorial (like Ozzi's) and see if your rolls look the same. A small amount of pain that disappears quickly is ok, but if pain persists then it is bad. So it really depends on how long your shoulder hurts for, IMHO.

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »
so basically i'm just starting parkour. and i figured that rolls and landing would be the best way to start. so at first my rolls sucked, but now their coming along pretty well. i can jump off low heights into a roll blah blah. so now my right shoulder is pretty sore. its probably normal since im just starting, but is their something i could be doing wrong?

if your just starting parkour you shouldnt be jumping off any heights untill your joints/form/muscels are ready so if there is pain then you should go back to doing rolls while kneeling.

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
1)WOW, Ozzi, you just keep cranking out awsome tutorials like a machine. If everyone like your tuts. as much as I do your karma would look something like this-  +23987/however much you have been smited

2)I tried to roll on concrete once and i hurt like crap so i stoped and gonna vid. Myself when i can.

3)Learn to roll on concerete properly before you try drops-TRUST ME CONCRETE IS UNFORGIVING AND HARDER THAN YOUR HEAD
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
Thanks man. yeah video yourself so we can all help you..

I wish my karma was 92708750745 lol
 Ghandi