Author Topic: 101 ways to Train Anytime...  (Read 43124 times)

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: 101 ways to Train Anytime...
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
All of a sudden I hear the Police playing Don't Stand So Close To Me...

Teacher humor I guess.  :)

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »
There are a lot of ideas here for training the "be strong" part... How about some more more for the "to be useful" part?

54.  Be aware of those around you.  If you see someone needing help (their arms are full and they're approaching a door, for example), offer a helping hand.  Open the door for people.  Do you have an elderly neighbor who may have a hard time shoveling their driveway?  Offer to do it for them when it snows.  For free.  (They're probably living on social security...)

55. Be aware of your surroundings-- in the "useful" sense, not the "parkour" sense.  Did someone leave their trash?  Throw it away for them.  Did someone not push a chair back in?  Do it for them.  Do you see a potential hazard (i.e., something someone might trip over)?  Move it out of the way.  (And all without grumbling)

These two exercises go a long way to train your "Traceur's Eye" to not merely see the world around you for how it could benefit you (i.e., your Parkour skills), but how you could benefit the world around you, and thus "be strong to be useful."

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:55:14 PM by lauriejennifer »
Queen of Puns

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
There are a lot of ideas here for training the "be strong" part... How about some more more for the "to be useful" part?

54.  Be aware of those around you.  If you see someone needing help (their arms are full and they're approaching a door, for example), offer a helping hand.  Open the door for people.  Do you have an elderly neighbor who may have a hard time shoveling their driveway?  Offer to do it for them when it snows.  For free.  (They're probably living on social security...)

55. Be aware of your surroundings-- in the "useful" sense, not the "parkour" sense.  Did someone leave their trash?  Throw it away for them.  Did someone not push a chair back in?  Do it for them.  Do you see a potential hazard (i.e., something someone might trip over)?  Move it out of the way.  (And all without grumbling)

These two exercises go a long way to train your "Traceur's Eye" to not merely see the world around you for how it could benefit you (i.e., your Parkour skills), but how you could benefit the world around you, and thus "be strong to be useful."

we need more girls around to think like that because i dont think any guys wuld think of that and those are 2 very good things to do
Parkour has helped me grow as much mentally as it has physically.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »
Laurie, awesome points. :)

Speaking of pointes (oh noez! Your puns are rubbing off on me!)... to answer your questions, fellas:

Demi-pointe
3/4 pointe... this was hard to find a picture of; basically you're standing as high up on the big toe as you can without being on full pointe. Most of the weight is supported on the large pad of the big toe. In both positions the ankle is solid, not wobbly, and the leg muscles are fully engaged all the way up to the core.

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »
Plus 1 for the pun, Muse.   ;D  FTP!

Queen of Puns

ruskiman

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 06:16:14 AM »
56. Jump (not vault) over anything and everything.  Keep stacking pillows on top to see how high you can go. Doesn't necessarily have to be a two footed launch, find a way to jump that allows you to clear the most height. It gets fun when there is not enough room to do a run up (aka college dorm)

57. Might have been mentioned before, but Ill say it again just in case. Practice moving and landing SILENTLY. Find situations where you can sneak by people without them hearing you. You can also practice silent precisions, where you try to keep the take off and landing a silent as possible.

58. Climb stuff.

59. Try to walk as naturally as possible while walking on a curb, or other small path that requires balancing.

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
57. Might have been mentioned before, but Ill say it again just in case. Practice moving and landing SILENTLY. Find situations where you can sneak by people without them hearing you. You can also practice silent precisions, where you try to keep the take off and landing a silent as possible.

i was practicing moving silently and i had crept downstairs only to find my sister being "felt up" by her boyfriend (shudders to think about it)

Offline Derek Klein [MIAPK]

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • MIAPK
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »
And you beat the crap out of him, right?
Take inventory of yourself, constantly. What you find yourself lacking in, work on it. There is no quicker way to progression.
-------------------------------------------------
MIAPK - Miami Parkour
FIU-PK - Florida Int'l University Parkour Club
http://miapk.com/
http://facebook.com/MiamiParkour

Offline Derek Klein [MIAPK]

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • MIAPK
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »
Sorry my little sister had that problem one time
Take inventory of yourself, constantly. What you find yourself lacking in, work on it. There is no quicker way to progression.
-------------------------------------------------
MIAPK - Miami Parkour
FIU-PK - Florida Int'l University Parkour Club
http://miapk.com/
http://facebook.com/MiamiParkour

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »
60) Walk on your toes and or heels to strengthen your shins and calves.

61) while walking down the side walk, try to jump  and spin 360 degrees while going forwards a few feet, giving you better body control and awareness!
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
62) Make rule for yourself. Like if you want to make lunch do 10 push ups, or if you want to save a video game to 10 sit ups. This works good for me and gets me more training in the day because i am a video game addict so i wind up doing alot of pushups because of it.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
And you beat the crap out of him, right?

ha naw hes a nice guy and they will prolly get married...not to mention the fact that hes jacked so i woudnt be able to if my life depended on it

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »

61) while walking down the side walk, try to jump  and spin 360 degrees while going forwards a few feet, giving you better body control and awareness!

This is also a great way to practice being inconspicuous!   :-Sarcasm

Laurie, awesome points. :)

Speaking of pointes (oh noez! Your puns are rubbing off on me!)...

Ah hahaha!  You really raised the "barre" on that one, Muse!   ;D
Queen of Puns

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 07:22:15 AM »
Yeah back in the day two years ago.
I was at my aunt's house with my cousin playing video games, and smoking cigarettes just chilling.
And my little cousin Carrie, my sister Autumn, and this guy Cody came in through the front door.
They went upstairs and me and my cousin are on ALERT!
So after what seemed like forever, (it was like a half hour but still I couldn't keep my eyes off the stairs. It felt like forever!) my cousin Carrie came downstairs... I kinda overreacted and said "YOU LEFT THEM UP THERE ALONE?@!"
Thinking she's the actress of the century she goes "Who?" lol wtf?
so I ran all over my aunts house and looked through every room upstairs.
Carries window was open.. AHA! They went next door to my house... BY this time I'm pissed as hell ready to rip doors of hinges, I run over to my house with my cousin, and look throughout my whole house, I checked the garage last, and my cousin checked the computer room.
He said all he heard before the garage door shut was "I'm gonna kill you!" (door shuts)

What happened was, I saw this guy "Cody" feeling my sister up wow! Adrenaline, energy, and a whole bunch of pissed off I have never experienced in my life scared the shit outta him and he jumped off her quicker than a fat kid eating cake I then proceeded to throw out all of my human civility and pound him into a pile of bruised, bloody, crying meat.
Then I proceeded to the kitchen to grab a knife(this is where I became human again) decided against it and kicked him out of the house throwing him into the street.

I understand most of you now think I'm a little disturbed, but that was two years ago when I was a pissed off kid mad at everyone and everything. I'm safe to be around now...  ;D

I just felt like showing you how good of a big brother I am... and no matter happens I got your back guys!... lol

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »

Walking on your heels could damage your knees and hips.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »
I was at my aunt's house with my cousin playing video games, and smoking cigarettes just chilling.
And my little cousin Carrie, my sister Autumn, and this guy Cody came in through the front door.
So after what seemed like forever, (it was like a half hour but still I couldn't keep my eyes off the stairs. It felt like forever!) my cousin Carrie came downstairs... I kinda overreacted and said "YOU LEFT THEM UP THERE ALONE?@!"
Carries window was open.. AHA! They went next door to my house... BY this time I'm pissed as hell ready to rip doors of hinges, I run over to my house with my cousin, and look throughout my whole house, I checked the garage last, and my cousin checked the computer room.
He said all he heard before the garage door shut was "I'm gonna kill you!" (door shuts)

What happened was, I saw this guy "Cody" feeling my sister up wow! Adrenaline, energy, and a whole bunch of pissed off I have never experienced in my life scared the shit outta him and he jumped off her quicker than a fat kid eating cake I then proceeded to throw out all of my human civility and pound him into a pile of bruised, bloody, crying meat.
Then I proceeded to the kitchen to grab a knife(this is where I became human again) decided against it and kicked him out of the house throwing him into the street.

I understand most of you now think I'm a little disturbed, but that was two years ago when I was a pissed off kid mad at everyone and everything. I'm safe to be around now...  ;D

I just felt like showing you how good of a big brother I am... and no matter happens I got your back guys!... lol

What's sort of funny to me (but mostly ironic) is that guys feel this way about their own sister... and yet guys (who have sisters) treat women this way...  Don't you ever think that your girlfriend is someone's sister, too?   ::) ;)

Anyways, back on topic... 

63) We all do this anyways, but it's a great mental exercise:  If you're a passenger in a moving vehicle, imagine you're a traceur running along the side of the road (pretend you can run really fast).  How would you keep up?  Even better:  How would you keep up without touching the ground?  This trains your mental reflexes in assessing your environment, making split-second decisions, and problem-solving.

Queen of Puns

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
64.)I know some of us do this while playing videogames especially me while playing halo 3 but anyway i always move up if i'm looking up and i jump if my halo guy jumps but anyway the thing you guys could is if your relaxing on your couch or wherever just zone out and imagine that your at this place you've never seen and has awsome architecture and your pulling out moves you've only dreamed of and your doing great after that when you wake up it realy gets you pumped i know for a fact it helped me visualized things better in everyday life hope this helps.
Shit happens.

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2007, 12:20:09 PM »

Smokin's bad Mkay

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

What's sort of funny to me (but mostly ironic) is that guys feel this way about their own sister... and yet guys (who have sisters) treat women this way...  Don't you ever think that your girlfriend is someone's sister, too?   ::) ;)

Anyways, back on topic... 

63) We all do this anyways, but it's a great mental exercise:  If you're a passenger in a moving vehicle, imagine you're a traceur running along the side of the road (pretend you can run really fast).  How would you keep up?  Even better:  How would you keep up without touching the ground?  This trains your mental reflexes in assessing your environment, making split-second decisions, and problem-solving.

I treat my girlfriends very well... lol actually my ex's brother and me were pretty tight together... lol

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
yeah, ok...this is getting off topic

Walking on your heels could damage your knees and hips.

Although walking on your heels is bad, balancing on heels can help build up your tibialis anteriors.  Every muscle group is only as strong as the opposing muscle...so balancing on your heels can help to counter balance building just your calves...

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"