Author Topic: 101 ways to Train Anytime...  (Read 43173 times)

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
Re: 101 ways to Train Anytime...
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »
31.) Drink water instead of soda.

32.) Have a "Swear Word Punishment" - example s$#t = 5 divebomber pushups, f$#k = 5 handstand pushups, a$$ = 15 squats.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline AfroBandit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
33. meditate...be one with your surroundings... listen to your surorundings... feel your surroundings "spiritiually"...

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »
28) Think about your posture as much as you can. Correct it as neccisary.

but also, what would balancing on your toes do?
It is KNOWN that years of ballet will f- up your feet...that's not progression...

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »
If your ever walking home with your friend from school play a game a tag and use your parkour to escape him or do this with a friend that is more experienced in pk and do the same thing and if he catchs you that means you need to work on your pk.Also don't go over your limits stick to stuff you can do.
Shit happens.

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »
36) Walk normally, but look for markings or cracks or leaves on the sidewalk or floor, and attempt to calculate which foot will land on it and whether you'll hit it with your toes, ball or heel. Walk steadily, and try to hit it with that part of the foot. Without changing pace sharply, it's hard (if not impossible) to hit everything in a manner decided arbitrarily by yourself, so you have to determine which part of which foot has the greatest chance of hitting it and subtly change your pace and heading. I've been trying this since I read Demon's Drill about always training, and earlier tonight I managed for the first time to do a whole series of this in a row with reasonable success (sometimes I stepped with the ball of my foot on something that I calculated I'd step on with my toes.)

37) Run on a sidewalk so that you only step once on each section.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
38) Ocassionally try to move around your house/school/ area without touching the ground/grass/desks or whatever else happens to be around you

39) whenever you see any obstacle at all think about how you would get over it and how many different ways past it there are then try it out and see if you could do what you previously imagined
Parkour has helped me grow as much mentally as it has physically.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 01:06:30 AM »
38) Ocassionally try to move around your house/school/ area without touching the ground/grass/desks or whatever else happens to be around you

keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

JBF28

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:46 AM »
damned scholar good one, thats one of those things ive just been doin naturally since i could walk
40) when ur sitting around at school not paying attention, slouch down a little, and then hold ur back about an inch or two off the seatback, ur abs will burn within minutes.  make sure ur back is straight though, and when ur done, go back to that good posture.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 10:18:06 AM »
28) Think about your posture as much as you can. Correct it as neccisary.

but also, what would balancing on your toes do?
It is KNOWN that years of ballet will f- up your feet...that's not progression...

I did not know that.

41. QM over anything. even if you just need to go to the bathroom. QM into the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, living room, etc...
42. when your just standing somewhere(school lunch line perhaps) do calf raisers, and shin raisers.

Offline Derek Klein [MIAPK]

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • MIAPK
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 02:56:25 AM »
43. Deep horse stance (from martial arts) feet a little further than shoulders, squat until thighs are parallel to the ground, make sure you keep good posture, hold and increase amount of time thru practice.

IMPROPER ballet training will mess up your feet. Instructors don't let an inexperienced pupil go on point until they're ready, when the feet have become strong enough
Take inventory of yourself, constantly. What you find yourself lacking in, work on it. There is no quicker way to progression.
-------------------------------------------------
MIAPK - Miami Parkour
FIU-PK - Florida Int'l University Parkour Club
http://miapk.com/
http://facebook.com/MiamiParkour

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 03:23:20 AM »
44. Draw a picture. It doesn't have to be amazing. Push your creative thinking and expand your imagination.

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 10:45:07 AM »
45.  Ascend/descend staircases without using the stairs.  Give the bystanders a big grin when they catch you doing this ;D (One word of caution: works nice in office buildings, but I wouldn't trust my bannister at home :P).

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:06 AM »
oh yeah...

46.  If you have to use the stairs, descend them 2-3 at a time.  It really teaches you to trust your foot placement.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
oh yeah...

46.  If you have to use the stairs, descend them 2-3 at a time.  It really teaches you to trust your foot placement.

I started doing this in college when I saw a friend do it.  It took several months for me to be able to do it as quickly and confidently as he did it.  This exercise really is amazing for foot placement and body awareness!  Now I can fly down the stairs.
Queen of Puns

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
47. If you have a counter that has a corner( like it looks like a L), use the sides of the counters to do dips.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline johnster988

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
48) instead of staying indoors during heavy rain/snow go outside and practice in the different conditions because if you get good at doing parkour in the slippery rain you will be that much better in normal dry conditions but still be safe
Parkour has helped me grow as much mentally as it has physically.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »
49) When navigating through a crowd, as in during passing time at a school or a mass exodus from a concert or other event, try to be quick while being as minimally disruptive as possible. Practice dodging traffic. Try not to brush or bump up against anyone with any part of your body while still trying to pass most of the crowd in a quick way.

50) While sitting or standing still, practice foot articulation: flex and point the feet, make the "Barbie foot" (foot arched, toes flexed), write the alphabet in the air with your foot, using your ankle; crunch up and then spread out your toes, try to wiggle each toe independently, try to make circles with each toe individually; stand on a washcloth or small towel and try to crunch the whole thing under your foot by using only your toes to bunch it up in sections; then push it back out to flat with your toes.

51) Balance/proprioception. While waiting in line or for a bus, practice shifting the weight onto different balance points of the foot. Try to see how well you can balance on a dime-sized point only on your heel, little toe joint, big toe joint, etc. Feel how many places there are on the foot that will support your balance. See what happens when you move your limbs around while doing this.

52) Balance. Get a soft exercise ball about the size of a baseball, as is used in physical therapy (there should be some "give" to it). Try balancing on this ball on one foot. See how well you do standing on the ball of the foot, with the exercise ball in the arch, etc. Can also be done with a "Bosu" or balance board.

53) Balance. Stand on one foot with eyes closed. Progress up to moving the free leg around (bent) when this is easy, and then a straight leg. Can also have a friend gently nudge/push you in a direction to see how you correct in response to pressure.

Re: balancing on the toes... do NOT do it without proper training. However there is something to be said for developing balance on a small portion of the feet (i.e. 3/4 pointe) and the ankle stability required to do so. Standing on full pointe, however, provides little benefit to your parkour that you can't get from simple working in demi- and 3/4 pointe. It is my understanding that most rock climbers work on this anyway, for when they have to find a hold on a narrow ledge, etc. Essentially, unless you plan to do pointe work in ballet, there is really no reason to train the feet beyond 3/4 pointe for parkour. Levenex has it right. I have been doing pointe work for 15 years and my feet are fine because I started appropriately and had good training and well-fitted shoes.

As an aside... among the training ideas already posted, meditation and hot lava are among my favorites. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 05:46:03 AM »
Always a pleasure to have one of your post in the thread Muse.
And all of a sudden... I am jealous of Mr. Muse. lol
Good Post.

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »
Hey Muse, can you explain to me the different pointe variations? I really wish I knew what you where talking about so I could start practicing them. Haha.

Thanks,
Matt
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 06:14:27 AM »
Hey Muse, can you explain to me the different pointe variations? I really wish I knew what you where talking about so I could start practicing them. Haha.

Thanks,
Matt

All of a sudden... Me too.   ::)