Author Topic: Parkour Fear  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Scott "Geekmann"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I am Ninja
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/
Parkour Fear
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
Hey, is there any good way to get over fear of doing vaults or any other movements? I've had lots of problems with dash vaulting fears (mainly because I broke my tailbone a while back :-\), but once I did it I realized it wasn't scary at all. Is this same concept for, say, kong vaulting fears? I can do a monkey vault, but I can't really get the diving fears out. If anyone has some good tips they would be much appreciated.
Do you play Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Check out my video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzrXyhKxo0
Be strong to be useful

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Re: Parkour Fear
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
When we get newbies starting out we have them go through all the mechanics of a kong vault before actually performing. We go through step by step and convince them (and sometimes ourselves) that they can easily clear the obstacle. Sometimes people will do a run through by keeping their legs out to the side first before finally gaining the confidence.

If you have access to mats that is one of the best ways to invoke confidence. As you overcome more and more fears slowly they become easier to attack and conquer. Just keep trying. You know you can do it. Now just listen to yourself and do it.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »
Read this article titled: Moving Through Fear, by Dan Edwardes from Parkour Generations.

http://parkourgenerations.com/articles.php?id_cat=2&idart=10

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:24:02 AM »
Just progress into the vault slowly. This means don't try it all the way first...like for example on a kong just try to get your feet up on the object...If you still have problems just try repeating my quote in my sig. It can help get yuo focused if you understand its meaning.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:32:02 AM »
A big part of parkour training is exploring and understanding your relationship to your fear. In each instance where you feel fearful about something, you have to sit with your fear for a long time and understand it: is it fear of the unknown, fear of a repeat of a past experience? Is it "real" fear; i.e. your body's way of telling you you're not ready for something yet? Or is it just "mental noise"?

Fear is an important and legitimate part of parkour practice--part of your development as a traceur is learning to understand your fear relationship and developing judgment to appropriately deal with it. Sometimes, the fear is legitimate and your decision to back down from something is just as valid as a decision to follow through with something. Only you know which is which for you.

As others have said, break the movement down into a progression, and start with the first "comfortable" piece. Don't stay comfortable though. :) Try to push yourself to the next step. Don't try to take too big of a step--just go from where you are to the next logical progression. Parkour is not a race; you have all the time you need to develop your vault in the way your bodymind needs you to. There are many paths to the top of the mountain. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Scott "Geekmann"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I am Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
Read this article titled: Moving Through Fear, by Dan Edwardes from Parkour Generations.

Thanks for the link. It helped me a lot! ;D
Do you play Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Check out my video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzrXyhKxo0
Be strong to be useful

Offline Andrei Semenov

• Patas
  • Can't beat the feelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:29:51 PM »
I find fear is my greatest ally in parkour, stops me from doing stupid stuff, to get rid of fear I repeat a certain movement 500 times (not really but a lot) in the gym till I do it outside. for instance I'll work on my vaults on mats when I feel that they are perfect I'll start them outside

Did perpetual happiness in the Garden of Eden maybe get so boring that eating the apple was justified?”

Offline Scott "Geekmann"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I am Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »
I find fear is my greatest ally in parkour, stops me from doing stupid stuff, to get rid of fear I repeat a certain movement 500 times (not really but a lot) in the gym till I do it outside. for instance I'll work on my vaults on mats when I feel that they are perfect I'll start them outside
Thats nice, but sadly I currently have no gym to train in :'(... But I can do a Kong vault now, so woop!
Be strong to be useful

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14:23 PM »
I understand where you're coming from, geekman.  I don't have a gym to train in, so I find almost all my training done outside wherever I can go or wherever I am at the moment.  I just suffered my first major fall.  I was training some cats on a low wall yesterday and I didn't focus, so I messed up big time, slammed into the ground hand-first, and sprained it but good.  I tried training some basic one-handed vaults this morning, but I've found myself reluctant to follow through.  I know in my head that I can clear the obstacles, but my muscles freeze up when it comes time to jump.  It's very frustrating.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
Believe me when i say this your not alone with that and geekman i can just about the same moves as you.Hope this helped a little bit.By the way are u under the age of thirteen and which state do u live cause i got a friend that has the same username as u.
Shit happens.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:15:26 PM »

Thanks Muhammad, that needed to be in this thread.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
Agreed.  That article was an excellent meditation on fear.  Thanks for the link, Muhammad.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 03:57:57 PM »
It really is a great article...but you can not get over fear just by reading that...that article helps you understand fear...it is an aid...when you want to defeat an enemy(fear) you need to know how he (or she) works and you need to understand it...then you take this information to defeat your enemy.

So you need to act on it if you didnt understand that...because if not...you still will have that fear. Myself...I am still in that stage of acting...it takes time but is possible if you persist.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 02:29:51 PM »
I understand it is an aid, but regardless, I believe it needed to be posted in this particular thread because when you can start to understand, and then act on it, you can start to better yourself.
lol kinda the same words and phrasing you used but eh.. w/e

Offline AFrunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »
Do some easier vaults to get your special up like on tony hawk games!

I'm just kidding about that, to get over fear, I have a routine that I go through before trying something big that I'm not sure I can do, I know that isn't real deep or anything, but tapping on 3 different things 3 times always gets me ready to try anything.

Offline Scott "Geekmann"

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I am Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:21 PM »

I'm just kidding about that, to get over fear, I have a routine that I go through before trying something big that I'm not sure I can do, I know that isn't real deep or anything, but tapping on 3 different things 3 times always gets me ready to try anything.
lolz I usually now try to go a certain number of steps before the jump: either 3, 5, 7, or 10. I don't know why.
Be strong to be useful

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 03:42:25 PM »

lolz I usually now try to go a certain number of steps before the jump: either 3, 5, 7, or 10. I don't know why.

whatever helps you man.
if you dont know why, figure out why.
 it'll help your body awareness more.

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »
Well put.
Shit happens.