Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 546635 times)

Offline Mattern

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #540 on: January 25, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
Mattern here,

Actively involved in many Varsity Sports at school. The football coaches are increasingly pushing for weight room fitness, and my back and knees are beginning to pay the price. I've decided to lay off the weights and do more running and stretching. After coming across American Parkour and checking out their workouts I thought it'd be a great way to acheive my goal.

I'll mostly just lurk around here and use the resources available. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2008, 12:50:19 PM »
Mattern- Check out www.crossfit.com. I'm making assumptions here, but most "traditional" high school sports workouts focus on muscle mass and heavy lifting, not necessarily 'functional fitness.' Crossfit is probably a lot more along the lines of what you'd be wanting to do than the stuff your coaches are having you do.

Offline Darryll Fawcett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
Hey, world!

The alias is Sutekh, though most wouldn't call me that out in the field. I'm in Orlando Fl, and am what many have called a newb when it comes to P/K. Be gentle.  ;)

Offline Yashoki

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
Hey everybody, this is Yashoki.

I'm currently living in Anaheim, California and attending my first year in college. I've known about Parkour for a while, but I've decided to make a positive change this year and actually go out and try it. I'm currently seeking a training buddy to help get me started. Parkour is nowhere near as fun without others.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:06:01 PM by Yashoki »

Offline Mattern

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Mattern- Check out www.crossfit.com. I'm making assumptions here, but most "traditional" high school sports workouts focus on muscle mass and heavy lifting, not necessarily 'functional fitness.' Crossfit is probably a lot more along the lines of what you'd be wanting to do than the stuff your coaches are having you do.

Happydud,

You're hitting the mark on the head. The coaches here are focusing on trying to get you as big as you can get as fast as you can get there for their personal gain. 330 pound 4-4-2 squat work-outs at upwards of 75-85% takes its toll. I checked out crossfit, and so far I like what I see. I think incorporating a lot of their workouts and combining them with some of the programs and moves here will be a good way for me to "diversify" my condition. Besides, this Parkour stuff seems like a lot of fun!

I'll probably post my journal up fairly soon. Thanks for the info.

Offline Dillaon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:12 AM »
Hi i am Dillion...
pronounced (dill-in)

and i am just starting parkour....

;D

Offline juansno11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
hi my name is juan,
i live in revere massachussets i wanna know if theres a freerunning trainer arond revere or chelsea cause me and my friend wanna start free running we try the tutorials but i dont know if i do it right please message me if u know anything also how much is dvd??

Offline juansno11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:10 PM »
hi my name is juan,
i live in revere massachussets i wanna know if theres a freerunning trainer arond revere or chelsea cause me and my friend wanna start free running we try the tutorials but i dont know if i do it right please message me if u know anything also how much is dvd??

Offline juansno11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
hi my name is juan,

Offline juansno11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
This thread will serve to introduce new members as they sign up, but more importantly we'll soon have some Community features built right into the main website, perhaps even with new member lists and ways to view other member's profiles.

Until then, please just say Hi in here, and realize that you may be asked to send more information once we get the community component up and running!!

Let us know what state and area you're from, if you hang with anyone else on the forums, how long you've been practicing, anything really, but start with those basics :)
M2

hi my name is juan,

Offline Like_A_Fox

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »
Hi my name is Fox, Like A
did cross country durring high school doing alot of what i now know as parkour. Now i train around my campus Oregon State

Offline Saraluna

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Hi all! :D
I'm Sara. I am 17 and a senior in high school, living in New Jersey.
I recently heard about parkour from a friend who was also starting out, and got hooked by all the cool videos of it online, and the philosophy, which seems so different from the heatedly competitive one in most sports. I'm doing really simple stuff right now, learning basics and trying to build upper body strength and get over my asthma. Advice is always appreciated!

Offline Sunaminot

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
hey every1
My name is Ben, I live in Ohio, and I started parkour about a month ago.  I never really liked to do much physical activity (although I'm in pretty good shape) but parkour inspired me to move and exercise more.  I even got a couple friends doing it with me now.

Offline Dillaon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #553 on: January 30, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »
hey every1
My name is Ben, I live in Ohio, and I started parkour about a month ago.  I never really liked to do much physical activity (although I'm in pretty good shape) but parkour inspired me to move and exercise more.  I even got a couple friends doing it with me now.

where in ohio?

Offline Sunaminot

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »
hey every1

where in ohio?
Batavia

Offline blachawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 02, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »
Hi, i've been slumming around the APK site for a few weeks now and just thought i'd introduce myself. i'm paul, and i have a drinking problem...oh wait wrong intro. but for real i've been interested in parkour for a few years now and just decided to go for it. from what i've seen so far i love the apk forums, very informative and somewhat funny too.

Offline Nemesis

• Guenons
  • $h00p d4 wh00p!
    • View Profile
    • The F.O.G. parkour/freerunning
« Reply #556 on: February 07, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
I'm Adam, I live in Kansas. I've been interested in PK and Free Running now for about a year, but never actually tried it. Now my friend and I getting serious about it and we are pretty decent for beginners. We have had some prior experience that is useful for free running: i did gymnastics and we've both been jumping and rolling as long as i can remember. Looking foreward to getting god.
Free Of Gravity...
The F.O.G. parkour/free running
youtube.com/TheFOGpkfr

Offline Hombre13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
Hey Guys, Well I posted an intro in the wrong spot I guess.  But oh well, sorry.  My name is Aaron and I live in Anaheim, California.  I have really gotten into parkour recently but have only been doing it for a little under a month now.  I love to practice this stuff because of the sense of freedom I get when doing it.  If anyone in my area (714, 562, 310) wants to jam, let me know.

Offline Sniperwoosh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 07, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »
Hi, I'm Aaron and I go to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).  I'm new to this sport, but I'd say it's definitely way better than most others.  Anybody in B'ham/south of B'ham? 

Offline Shandon Bowden

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 08, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Hello  ;D I'm brand new to free running/parkour. I first learned about it while doing one of my favorite pastimes, reading manga. there is a manga out there called free runners. I saw the stuff they did in it, and immediately went to the Internet to find out if it was humanly possible. And thus, I find this site. I am not in shape at all (well, I guess I am seeing as round is technically a shape....) but I intend to go through the Warmup and the workouts until I'm in a shape worthy of something this cool. Anyway, I'm in Michigan so not much I can do for the next two months or so other than to get in shape...I should be really fit by the time the snow out here melts enough to practice!