Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 544955 times)

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #2620 on: January 06, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
Greetings to Sterne, Alexander, and Chase!

For those of you looking to group up, check the local connections boards for New Jersey, New York,
and Kentucky.  As it looks like Sterne is already all over. :)  For the physical training questions, hit us up at the General Fitness Forums.  We've got tons of free info in the stickies there, and are glad to answer any questions about customized training if you just ask.  Beyond that, just look around and find topics that strike your fancy.  If you have specific questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll shoot you a response as soon as possible.

Until Later,  Train hard...and welcome to APK. ;D
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Justin Howard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: January 06, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
Hello,
  My name is justin, from plant city florida.  I also race motocross, i like to fly  ;D

Offline Michael "Dimitri" Viveiros

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: January 18, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
Hey APK community My names mike, you can refer to me as dimitri if you want. Im a Traceur From Pawtucket, RI (USA) I've been doing parkour since 2007 and I look forward to seeing everyones videos hearing of your accomplishments or new movements. and as always best of luck to everyone out there :)

Offline Blake

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
Hello, I'm Blake from Neshkoro, WI =)

Offline Jennifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: January 19, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »
Hello, I'm Jen from California. -waves-
...I don't think anyone actually regularly reads this...

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2625 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »
Hello, I'm Jen from California. -waves-
...I don't think anyone actually regularly reads this...

How wrong you are, Jen! :)

Welcome to APK (to Justin, Dimitri, Blake, and Jen)! I encourage each of you to check out your respective State Boards (even though some of you already have), to find people training in your area. Also, General Fitness and Movement are two great places to get started if you're looking to build up your strength and basic techniques. If you guys (and girl) have any specific questions, don't hesitate to send me a Personal Message!

See you around!

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »
Actually, we read this pretty often.  (I sometimes miss out for a few days during this season, due to rigorous training for highland games.)  Half of the time, I will log on long enough to check the General Fitness area, and then I'm out...

...but sometimes I get on here and realize that Jordan is once again being a superhero and making sure that you guys know that we're glad to have you here at APK.  So to Dimitri, Justin, Blake, and Jen; Welcome to APK.  Train hard, and if you have questions, then ask.  If you have questions about building a parkour machine, hit us up in General Fitness.  You're a lot more likely to get a quick response out of me there, or with a PM.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Caitlyn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: January 21, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
Okayyys. So im Caitlyn, I live In GCS Florida :P i dont know anyone else around me that does parkour so i have nobody to help me out. I'm basically starting as of like.... Right now. So i have no idea where to go from here. If anyone can help, please do so  :-[ 

(oh and i like to draw, play guitar, read, run, swim, etc.)

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
Hey Caitlyn!  I have no idea what GCS is, so I googled it, and still couldn't come up with anything hahaha, but here are the Florida boards! :D  Check those out, Florida has a ton of people in it so you should be able to find something.  They also have an actual website lol, right aboooooout...here.

That should get you started!

And starting with the basic stuff would be a good idea, such as the Parkour roll, Monkey vault, Kong vault, and if you're feeling ballsy maybe even the Sideflip.

I just realized the word "ballsy" really doesn't apply since you're a girl.  Sorry. ;D

Soooo yeah, that should give you a start haha, shoot me a PM if you need any more help Caitlyn!

Oh and I'm on the swim team ;D
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
I'm a noob too.  I'm Pete, 32, magician and trying to find some beginner steps (watched the rolling vid) and maybe meet some local people to hang out with.  what's the proper term?  Session?  Jam?  run?

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #2630 on: January 28, 2012, 05:09:27 AM »
Hey Pete, and welcome to the forum!

I think you mean you want to train with someone in your area, if that's the case just go to the forum homepage and scroll down to the Local Connections - USA and choose your region, then good luck finding a training partner/group!  ;)

Also since you're just starting you could learn the basic movements in the Movement boards or in the Tutorials section on the homepage.

Have fun training man! If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or any other Ambassadors on the forum.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Zoe Higgins

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Hi im Zoe,

I am a begginer in parkour, I love going for runs with my friend and doing vaults !!!

btw im from the UK and ony 12 years old  ;D

Offline pam

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: February 02, 2012, 06:21:36 PM »
I conquer, parkour is pretty darn awesome

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2633 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Welcome, Zoe and Pam!

Zoe - we're glad to have you here, especially at such a young age to be beginning! If you stay interested and involved as you grow, you will no doubt have a very exciting progression :) Just make sure that you're safe and careful. Since you're from the UK, I would recommend you try to attend some sort of Parkour Generations event/workshop to learn from the best of the best. Having trained with and learned from many of them personally, I can guarantee that they'll be incredibly helpful and accommodating. Best of luck to you in your training, and see you around!

Pam - I'm so glad to hear that you conquer, you should talk to my friend Genghis Khan, he was a pretty good conqueror in his day too ;) We're glad to have you with us! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a personal message by clicking the tiny chat icon under my picture to the left.

Offline Roberto

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
Hi I'm Roberto Rodriguez!

I live in Texas, and I enjoy working out, jumping around, and playing video games!!! 8)

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Welcome to APK Roberto!

We're glad to have you here.

Offline Nicholas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
Greetings all...

The name is Nicholas. I got interested in this, as did many others, after playing Assassin's Creed obsessively for months. It was to the point where I was dreaming of climbing buildings and dashing through cityscapes...so, I figured I should take the plunge. :)

In my spare time (I'm a music student, so I have none), I enjoy reading and writing, as well as the occasional round of PS3. :) I also enjoy discovering new musical artists and expanding my horizons; I have music in my library that spans every genre you can imagine, not counting rap and heavier metal (the only two I cannot get into). Basically, if you need a recommendation, I'll point you in the right direction. :)

Currently, I'm based in Nashville, TN, and am looking to begin training with some people from the neighboring universities...I'll let y'all know how it goes. XD

Offline Caitlyn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: February 07, 2012, 01:51:27 PM »
OH and thats awesome XD for the swim team thing. I just swim on my own :)    errr yeah... ballsy would not really be a term for me. umm.. ;P

Offline Anthony Hadouken

• Mangabey
  • nor cal parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
hi, im anthony, i started training when i got clean 3 years ago, i use to have a bad drug problem, but lets not get into that lol, the point is parkour turned my life around and i love it, now im basically batman hahaha
pain is weakness leaving the body

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »
Nicholas, Caitlyn, and Anthony, allow me to formally welcome you to APK. ;)

We all started this for a variety of reasons.  I can't see how reaching to be a superhero, a game hero, or simply trying to better your own existence can be looked down on.  The point is that freedom and training diligently have proven to be a great direction for spending your time working on. 

If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me.  There's a lot of great information here, so use the search function to read through years of collective thoughts from multiple traceurs/traceuses on pretty much any subject that you can imagine. 

Train hard!  ;D