Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 544686 times)

Offline Force_Nyjerski

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I hate cofee...
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
I'm 17 from Connecticut. I'm technically new to parkour/freerunning, but I have been doing more uncontrolled/unknowlageable stuff just for fun. Up until my friend told me about parkour, now I'm starting to have more 'flow' and my moves are better and more efficient and less painful!

As for my name, a buddy and I were wondering around a school library and found this book called Moondog with the maiin character's name being Cyrus Nyjerski and the authors name being something like John Force and I put two and two togather and I discovered the majesty that is Force Niyjerski....

I also play paintball, kick box and play bass guitar in a band.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:27:59 PM by Force_Nyjerski »
Parkour, kicking suicides ass since 1998.

Offline Stinker

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 13, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
Hi all.  JohnnyReb... 44 and living in Colorado.  Haven't been doing this at all, except for fun now and then, in very loose and informal style.  Looking forward to incorporating it into more of my free time and reaping the benefits.

Offline RB

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Iraq blows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
i am Rainbow, i likes running and fighting. i am in Santa Cruz California.
There's nothing wrong with anything.

Offline joshdobbin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »
Hey, all-- I'm Josh, and am a parkour novice at the relative geriatric age of 34 (well, 35, actually, 2 weeks from now.)

I got interested in parkour from an unusual angle; in 2006 I was 276lbs, and my daughter was turning 2 years old. I kinda woke up to the fact that my health and well being, as a dad, no longer was my own exclusive property, so I resolved to do something about it. In exactly a year, I had lost about 90lbs; committing to a relatively severe regimen of diet, flexibility and strength training.

About 20lbs in, I revisited some David Belle video someone had once showed me, and I decided that as a sort of "impossible goal," I would keep that sort of ability in mind when visualizing where I wanted to be. The notion being that all I wanted to do was be able to pull of one or two Spider-Man-esque moves, but even to do that, I'd need to neccessarily be doing regular pull-ups, push-ups, leg exercises, flexibility, etc. My overall goal was (and remains) relatively modest; if parkour could be likened to  Dungeons and Dragons, I'd be very content to be a 2nd to 3rd level character. (This wil make sense to those of you for whom the venn diagram circles of nerd-dom and parkour overlap.)

So the idea was, keep on losing weight and training in order to get healthier, and set the distant goal of Daredevil/Batman-like abilities on the horizon as a carrot on a stick to chase after, and act as motivators for cardio/endurance sessions, or to get through the discomfort of stretching. The sort of idea I had was to set what seemed to be an impossible goal, so that even if I approached it becoming a reality, the distance between the start of where I was at the beginning to the point where such things were even possible would be an achievement. I try to keep my age and my responsibilites in focus; I won't try anything without building incrementally toward it, and I'm in no rush to do any sort of super-crazy rooftop stuff. 

As it stands now, I've sorta-kinda achieved my intital goal; I've got a few basic moves; monkeys and reasonably OK rolls and precisions, and the more I learn about parkour, the more I am absolutely fascinated by and with it. It is like kung-fu without the conflict, and while very much a rigorous physical activity, it also *can be* a way of thinking and perceiving that changes how you interact with the world and view yourself in it. So now, maybe I kinda wouldn't mind being a 3-4th level character, as it were. 

Here's a before and after of me--

(the before with my oldest daughter, and the 2nd with my younger.)  I've got, in part, parkour to thank for helping me "wake up" from a physical stupor, for providing the dream to chase.

Offline james2610

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 26, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
Hey im james! 14 years old and live in hull,england. Been doing parkour for a few weeks now and can already dash, kong and lazy etc. Doing very well but PK is very tiring!

Offline brewer.kyle

• Guenons
  • Awww yea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
Everyone can call me Brewer if you need to call me something.
I'm 17, bout 18.
I've done parkour on and off starting about a year and a half ago, but now I dedicate almost every waking moment to it.
If it weren't for my terrible sleep and eating addictions, I would parkour 24/7.
I live in Southern Indiana, it is pretty much the suck.
The only benefits of living in the middle of 68 acres of forest is privacy. I didn't have to look stupid initially, although I found plenty of time for stupidity at social events.
I have always trained parkour alone, I don't really have anyone to train with.
There seems to be this interest phase of parkour where people just watch videos and learn names.
The only exception is one of my friends who occasionally runs with me, but cannot really keep up.
If someone lives in Southern Indiana, I'd love to train with you!
My dream is to one day open up a Parkour Arena, not just a gym with pads. An entire arena devoted solely to parkour!
Cut Hands.
Scraped Forearms and Elbows.
Head is Pounding.
Heart is Racing.
Knees barely bend at the end of the day.
We start again tomorrow, Traceur.

Offline DavidV

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
David Valachovic here, or just David V as the user name suggests. I have been training with Houston Parkour in Texas since December. I also film our training sessions occasionally, and later I get to enjoy editing and adding special effects. I am working on getting a portfolio together of my videos to showcase my abilities.

I'm 17 and a senior in High School, so come fall I will be training with the guys in College Station.

Offline MattGTO

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »
Hey! This is Matt and I live in Dallas...I am just barely starting parkour, but I hope to get a lot better with the help of APK!! ;D

Offline naude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 04, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
ats up im mike....my friends call me naude

i live in plymouth massachusets

if anyone wants to help a new guy get started messege e or send an instant messege    the screenname is thewickedninja

Offline Cuzenu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 04, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
Hello all. ;D

I'm Melissa, 16, and looking to start parkour.  I live near St. Louis, MO. (St. Charles)

Offline juanjo_l

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
hey i'm Juanjo from asuncion, paraguay (south america jaja)
i'm 18 and i'm new to this but i really want to learn it!

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 04, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
Wassup guys. Most people call me Robi or Robillard. I'm 19 years old and go to the University of South Florida. I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale, about 5 minutes from Miami but spend most of my time in Tampa now. I've done sports most of my life and got interested in parkour about 2 years ago but never really got into it cause i couldn't find any groups and didn't have much time. Just now starting to take it up and am goin to be practicing at USf with the guys from Urban Velocity. Used to do cross country, pole vaulting, and wrestling in high school in high school so I'm in decent shape and have a good concept of how the human body moves and works. I also have a limited amount of gymnastics background that i got from my pole vaulting friends.
I can't wait to get started training in parkour/freerunning/tricking. Looks like an insane amount of fun and a really good way to stay in shape now that I'm in college.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline LokisWhispers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Versus the World
    • View Profile
    • Where I hang out at
« Reply #632 on: May 05, 2008, 01:23:26 AM »
Hello all, my name's Micah and I'm 21, currently going to Calhoun College. I guess I am not a very social person because I only train alone. But I am new to parkour and hope to get good at it :)

Offline spyd3r108

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 05, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
Hey I am Spyd3r108 and I just started parkour today. . . any tips from anyone where to start?

Offline The_Bard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 06, 2008, 03:42:08 AM »
Hey, this is Dylan from Kentucky, just starting even thinking about PK but figured I'd sign up quick  :)

Offline HeywodJahblomeh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
Hi im RJ from Eastern Iowa. Paintballs been my life for 6 years and its paid off because now im on a semi-pro team. I travel to alot of events and came across this website on accident and thought it would be sweet to do this so ive been practicing for a couple days now and got some of my friends into it.

Offline bertifrew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2008, 06:14:36 AM »
Hi
my name is Mark and i've logged onto here to find out if there are any clubs or bodies that my son can join to learn more about and practice free running.

We live in West Lothian in scotland (near edinburgh) and my searches on the net have produced nothing for scotland.

Offline Chilean

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 07, 2008, 08:18:50 PM »
Just registered...
My name is Rodrigo and I'm currently living in the Chicago area.
Have admired parkour for a while now, but have just made up my mind to do something about it and learn.
Wanted to know if anyone can help me get started.
(I'm working under the assumption that most people here have greater knowledge than me, and hopefuly are willing to share)
So...
Where do we start?
"Engage me at your own risk, accept me for who I am and complain not of the consequences"

Offline OSRblack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
My name is Clayton. I'm 23 and want to get into Parkour. I live in Bellevue NE. Hopefully I can find some people out here who can show me the ropes.

Offline Patrick "PyroPat" Caric

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 08, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »
Hey everyone that just signed up.  Welcome to the forums.  If you just started up and are trying to figure out where to go from here.  The answer is... everywhere.  best advice is to just search around and read different threads, watch videos and read critiques.  Find a just started thread and kinda get some insight of different things you should start conditioning and moves that you should start training (rolls).  You'll quickly find out that conditioning is a huge thing here and to take your parkour career slow.  Its better to progress effiecently and gradually than to take it all on at once and hurt your self and be out of the game.  Any questions feel free to ask or send messages to anyone... oh another piece of advice, go to the local area and let them know your here.  All the communities are always excited about new traceurs in their areas.  train hard and train safe.