Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 544146 times)

Offline EpsilonKias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #420 on: August 24, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
Yo! 'Name's Daniel and I've been doing PK for around 3-4 months on and off, seriously getting into it recently reminded me of why I wanted to do this in the first place, To improve myself in all manners. Though it sucks being kinda short, makes vaulting those higher bars a pain.

I'm aslo celebrating my 18th birthday in about 2 weeks. (September 6th). I aslo do other hobbies that keep me in shape and nice and flexable, Some soccer, a bunch of Poi, juggling, yo-yoing and glowsticking and I TRY to eat right, though that doesn't seem to happen to much (CHOCOLATE!!)

Hope to become an active member of the forums and to improve myself in terms of Parkour, Freerunning and all around... Um, Stuff! =)

Offline theLizzard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 24, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm Liz, I'm 29. I recently moved from the Twin Cities (MN) area to the Oshkosh, WI area. I'm getting into parkour to improve my poor balance, boost my fitness (no matter how much time I spent on weight machines at the gym, I never felt any strength improvement. Whenever I do real world things that involve certain muscle groups, I do notice improvement.) have fun, and possibly get over my fear of heights. I'm a complete newb, so for now I'm working on improving my endurance, lands, rolls and balance. I also realize that I will likely be training on my own.

I'll be taking a slow and cautious approach to my training. I'll be working on my upper body strength at the same time that I tackle the basics in hopes that in a few months I'll be strong enough and confident enough to advance to some of the feats that require more upper body strength.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2007, 10:15:41 PM »
Hey Liz, welcome to American Parkour :)

I think you may find what you are looking for in the discipline of parkour. It has many many benefits, and dedicated traceurs are probably some of the strongest, most physically fit people on the planet. You can be one of them. If you are interested in finding other traceurs to train with, check out the section of this forum dedicated to Wisconsin. There are probably others in the Oshkosh area who are training. It would be good for you to connect with them, because it will help you to learn. Also, we have a section for women, where you can introduce yourself to the other females who are into parkour. See you around!

Wisconsin Forum: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/board,110.0/

Women's Forum: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/board,146.0/

Offline SoSoFiZzY

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
Hi there,

My names Fizzy and i'm 19.

I have been reading up on parkour for about a week and I am absolutely determined this is what I want to do.

Check my blog post for more info.
I have always had an interest in Parkour but never knew what it was called!
The art of forward movement and utilising and re-directing impact and movement is very intersting because it is the key to flow.

Beleive it or not, before I started reading up on Parkour, when I happened to come accross somewhere I needed to jump down of, I would always instinctively land flat on my feet, BUT I would place my hands firmly on the ground.

After reading that landing the proper way is to land on the balls of your feet almost as if your tip-toing. I attempted this just to see if the impact was less, and indeed it is.
It is those positive vibes that keep me wanting to go into this direction, and I would want to make it my new way of life.

Basically I am from the UK but I will be in Baltimore, MD mid-october. That is when I truly want to start my journey as a Traceur. I want to progress, move forward, forward to my destinations, and forward in life, forward in body health.

I have always been lazy to excersise, and being 5'4 - 5'6, height is a slightly limiting factor, but that is merely another "minor" obstacle for me to overcome.

I feel that training for Parkour and each time I attempt something, it in itself is esxcersise enough for my body to grow slowly at its own pace. That is somethign that will help me progress and do larger acts years down the line.

Because at the moment, I do not excersise, so any excersise I do, will be taken the most of by my body. I feel I can progress quite quickly and I know not to attempt something my heart says I can't pull off.

I am currently (here in UK) practising the roll. Landing I think i have got, as from now on be it from 1 feet or more, I will now instinctively land the proper way (almost tip-toes) and bend with impact. And instinctively use my hands when neccessary (slightly higher drops/jumps)

I am getting the grips of the roll, practising on carpet, i don't feel too much at all going diagonally down my back, maybe thats because the shower is usually blasting at my back, i feel alot less in that area than anywhere else. But that tells me I can move from carpet to grass or even concrete sooner than others expect. But for the moment, thats going ahead of myself because I will only move from carpet once I can actually do the roll without having to think and remember to tuck my head or dhand placement, where it comes to me naturally. At the moment I am only grasping the art of the roll, it is still very hard for me to complete in its manner.

I am on a new learning curve and my mental health has never been better.

I have practised to some degree, a little aikido, understanding and making use of redirecting other peoples forward momentum aimed towards me, AWAY from me, and I feel that knowledge will assist in my Parkour.

I have also studied and to some degree capable when relaxed the taming and art of Chi. Spiritual energy to assist my physical energy. For instance, bending a steel reinforcement concrete bar with the weakest muscle in your body (your neck!).

I hope that these things in my repertoure will help me progress with Parkour.

I am very enthusiastic and confident in that I will suceed to reach my goal!

Thank you!

Fizzy

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
Hey Fizzy. Will you be in Baltimore for a while? I train about 30 min south of Baltimore, and there's a high density of people in the DC area. RandomPKGuy lives and trains in Baltimore, so you could probably meet up with him sometime.

I'm in New York at school for most of the sept-may time, but check out the mid-atlantic board and you're sure to find  more people to train with.

Hope to see you around!

Offline SoSoFiZzY

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 26, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
Hey Fizzy. Will you be in Baltimore for a while? I train about 30 min south of Baltimore, and there's a high density of people in the DC area. RandomPKGuy lives and trains in Baltimore, so you could probably meet up with him sometime.

I'm in New York at school for most of the sept-may time, but check out the mid-atlantic board and you're sure to find  more people to train with.

Hope to see you around!

Yeah, i'l be living in Baltimore permanently (unless opportunity opens up on the westcoast). Thanks man, yeah for sure, I will hook up with you and the guy you mentioned. It's nice to know that i'l soon be able to start my journey with the help from others!

Thanks man!

Peace

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
Feel free to IM me anytime (aim: superhappydud, MSN: sir_happydud@hotmail.com) if you want to chat.

Offline jamie79512

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »
Whats up guys? Im James, im from a little town in west texas. Ive been around the site for a while, just deciding to speak out. I was wondering how you guys go about getting over the fear of vaults? The dash vault is terrifying for me, i cant bring myself to try it

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »
Try it in a padded soft environment to help you overcome the fear. A gymnastics gym can be helpful sometimes, or your living room couch.

Offline Big_Red

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
Clifton here, aka Big_Red. Columbus, OH. and been practicing for about 3 solid weaks. Nothing impressive yet, but I definately love the discipline and will be practicing quasi-religiously until I'm great. Anyone in Columbus, lemme know and mebbe we can do a run sometime.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »
Good to hear from you Clifton.

The Ohio State University Parkour Club is open to any and all interested individuals, whatever your skill level. Beginners are welcome, as well as those advanced in experience. The more advanced traceurs will help coach and train the new incoming members so that all may benefit. Both students and non-students are encouraged to join and partake in our practices and activities.

To keep up to date with our regularly scheduled training sessions, join the OSUPK Facebook Group

We hold most of our training sessions on OSU Campus, meeting at the Wexner Center. Here is a map so you may find us.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »
Also, Clifton,

This weekend there will be a great opportunity for you to meet traceurs from all over Ohio, and even some from out of state. Sunday we are hosting the 3rd Annual Ohio Labor Day Jam. Click here for the details: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,5805.0/

Hope to see you soon!

Offline beast93east

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 29, 2007, 09:03:48 AM »
hi,

name's andy, im from the appleton area (hortonville to be exact) i am just getting into the whole parkour thing and would like to learn more. im around 6'3" or so and very athletic.  any tips or help would be much apreciated.

Offline TogaLive

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 29, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
Hey guys, New here obviously :p

I'm getting started in Parkour and plan to be doing it for life, atleast as long as I can run lol.

Anyways xboxlive gamertag is TogaLive, names Austin.

Cant wait to pick your guys' brains for some tips

Offline CulvertSpelunker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 29, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
Hi all, I'm John and I have known about parkour for a year, but didn't try it until last week. Now I'm completely obsessed. I train with some of my buddies and were slowly building speed.

I hail from UVa. I live on campus so it's easy to go find places to practice on. While I am still totally newbish in considerations to parkour, I have been training diligently for the past two years on upper body strength. Sadly, my legs are weak as silly putty. I find the principle of well-roundedness in parkour really refreshing after specializing for so long.

Yep, and about the name-- the storm drains and steam tunnels under the University are really something worth checking out.
Dolor Temporarius, Gloria Aeterna, Cicatrices Virgines Placent

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
another urban explorer :)

I've done a bit of that Culvert Spelunking as you call it. It's weird traveling underground in the city. Did you ever stop under parking lot drains and yell up at the people when they walk over? It's really funny to see their reactions.

Offline CulvertSpelunker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 30, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »
nope, but I'll certainly put it on my List Of Cool Things To Do     ;)
Dolor Temporarius, Gloria Aeterna, Cicatrices Virgines Placent

Offline ShidoTakashima

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

my names Jade AKA ShidoTakashima, and I'm pretty new to the idea of Parkour but from what I've heard and seen(and researched), I believe it is the perfect physical activity for me. and thats coming from a girl that hates most sports or competition on any level. I think what sparked my interest at first, was the Ninja like quality of it  ;D heh...but the more I researched the more I found that I liked not just the way of motion...but I also love the lifestyle behind it.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »
Awesome Shido, welcome to APK.

Stick around here. There is alot of useful information and plenty of cool people with positive attitudes to benefit from on this forum, so make yourself at home. :)

Offline taato

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 01, 2007, 08:45:24 PM »
ello all! I am bill from nashville tennessee, not many people around here even know what this is but i am trying. I started in rock climbing and then buildering and so on untill i got to this, what a blast. anyways if your in tennessee or coming to tennessee hit me up i have a few paths in nashville (yes i climbed the bat building) but always looking to learn.
cheers
bill