Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 544179 times)

Offline ChronicStreaker

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #400 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:56 PM »
 I've been a member of this site for a couple of weeks now and never saw this topic. So I'm a little late in introducing myself but oh well. My name is Kyle and I live in Rochester, New York where I go to Brighton High School. I've only been doing Parkour for around a month and a half, maybe two months. I've been training by myself but at the moment I'm doing what I can to organize Rochester's first big Jam in September.   

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #401 on: July 31, 2007, 08:34:26 AM »
Hey, my name is Chad Zwadlo from Menomonie, WI and I've actually been doing Parkour for probably about 8 years (but we never really knew it had a name back then and we weren't that serious about it).  I'm 23 years old and a 2nd degree black belt in American Freestyle Karate.  I've got a crew of about 6 people in town here and we call ourselves Mercury Parkour.  I'm hoping to start going to jams and meeting more traceurs in the near future!  If you're interested in knowing any more about me you can check out my myspace - http://www.myspace.com/zwadlo

Offline Dark Infinity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2007, 02:43:14 PM »
Hey I am Matt from Honolulu, Hawaii. Brand new to the sport, seems like it will be a blast... ;D

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »
Hey Guys, the name's Sean.  I'm 28 living in Kannapolis, NC.  Thats just above Charlotte.  I jsut dicovered Free Running But I used to be a climbing and ropes course instructor and have done quite a bit of tumbling so this seems to be something I really wanna get in to.  my AIM is Elesmere and my yahoo is Teachingclay.  I really want to make some contacts in the area so please add me and drop me a line.

Offline Xetrlal

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »
Hey everyone, My name is Jon (16, almost 17 years old), and I have known about PK for a while, and have wanted to start doing it for a long time, but have just recently (A few months) started to train my body for it, getting the moves down, the basics, all that, and well, I just want to say, that PK is awesome, and I can't wait until I get really good, I look forward to years and years of fun, and I am sure I will make some friends along the way, well, until next time!
-Jon

Offline Rockerflame

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 05, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »
hey, i just learned about PK last week and i have become slightly obsessed. my entire childhood consisted of me pretending to run from things as fast as possible and planning routes through, over, and beneath things to get away. i always experienced this strange thrill within when ever i reach that center when you run with reflex and without thought. a few months back i saw something on urban ninjas and from one thing to the next i came across parkour and free running and then to this site. i am 100% behind the lifestyle of PK im so sick of the fighting mindset i love how pk teaches to find different ways to overcome the same obstacle instead of the same bullheaded actions of kill kill kill. anyways, i am now here and i would LOVE to learn this lifestyle but i have natural obstacles that are a major hindrance, i am 6'7" tall 235lbs college student. i played basketball for 8 years but one year of college has thrown that body out the window. and even when i played i wasn't super athletic i was just tall. I'm afraid my lack of coordination and just my overall size will keep me from being good at PK. does anyone have words of advice or anything. thanks and sorry for such a long post.

Offline Rockerflame

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 05, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »
hey, i just learned about PK last week and i have become slightly obsessed. my entire childhood consisted of me pretending to run from things as fast as possible and planning routes through, over, and beneath things to get away. i always experienced this strange thrill within when ever i reach that center when you run with reflex and without thought. a few months back i saw something on urban ninjas and from one thing to the next i came across parkour and free running and then to this site. i am 100% behind the lifestyle of PK im so sick of the fighting mindset i love how pk teaches to find different ways to overcome the same obstacle instead of the same bullheaded actions of kill kill kill. anyways, i am now here and i would LOVE to learn this lifestyle but i have natural obstacles that are a major hindrance, i am 6'7" tall 235lbs college student. i played basketball for 8 years but one year of college has thrown that body out the window. and even when i played i wasn't super athletic i was just tall. I'm afraid my lack of coordination and just my overall size will keep me from being good at PK. does anyone have words of advice or anything. thanks and sorry for such a long post.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 06, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Being a really tall traceur is not a bad thing. Your height shouldn't be a hindrance. In some aspects it could even be an advantage. Every person has a different body and a different style. You will bring your own variation to the table for sure. Anyone who has at least three working limbs could learn parkour I believe, they just have to be motivated and have the desire to get out there and learn. So if you're really tall, and through training you learn to flow smoothly from obstacle to obstacle, it will probably make you feel alot more confident in yourself and your abilities, which will in turn affect your whole outlook on life. It doesn't matter if you're short, tall, or medium in height. Your coordination will surely improve if you train consistently.

Offline MoorTheLight

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Hey, I live in Muskegon, MI.  Been practicing...not long.  Never realized how much you can use your environment, appreciate what you guys do here at apk.  I don't know anyone around that partakes in parkour, it would be fun to meet up with some people.

Offline Zuxzux

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2007, 07:48:02 PM »
Hey I missed this when I signed up but my name is Grant and I'm from Arvada, Colorado. I've been practicing Parkour for a few months now and love it. Seems I grew up in a good state for it too.

I like fast cars, girls, music, parties, parkour, the same ol' stuff.

Having a blast meeting people and hanging out at the CO Jam so far too.

Offline Dr_Mike

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »
Hey all,

Mike from Davis, California

I've been a forum lurker for a while, and decided to post.

Just getting started at parkour, but i have 11 years of martial arts to work from

Offline austin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2007, 06:05:39 AM »
sup fellas its austin from the copk jam.

Offline king_of_rooftops

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2007, 09:14:28 AM »
Hey,

I am new to this thread but not to parkour, just now started refurbishing on some of my skills so I decided to join a forum. Glad I found this one! ;D

Offline dementedwombat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »
`Ello

Height: 6' even

I live in Boise, Idaho, and want to start Free Running.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 06:55:46 AM by dementedwombat »

Offline Kasper

• Guenons
  • "I'd Hit That!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
Hey, my names arron and im livin in W. Virginia, but im from the slums and cities of illinois. Just started parkour aug. 10 and love it. can't do much  but i can already feel a difference in coordination strength and flexibility.
(insert witty comment)

Offline Daemon of Dunasthai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 15, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
Hey peeps, the names Daemon and i'm from Erath louisiana. I know not a single person around here knows where that is, so i'm 20 min south of Lafayette. I've been into pk for about a month now. Actually, its a month today! Yay!

Me and my bro have a little group that practice around abbeville and lafayette. WE're in the process of getting a jam together on the First of September. Maybe if some people would like to come out, it would be beast to meet some more traceurs!!!

Offline Nalla

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
Hi all My name is Allan and I run www.parkourcentral.tv.

Parkourcentral.tv should be your central access point for all your parkour footage from here you can get access to all things parkour.

Get out there get if filmed and get it on parkourcental.tv

I hope to see/speak to you all soon.

Have fun doing what you do!!!!!!1

Offline Blubbernaught

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Damn... I feel like a relic.
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2007, 10:51:38 PM »
Howdy folks! 

My name is Scott and I'm an alco... Erm, wait.  Wrong meeting.

Lets try this again, shall we?

Hi, I'm Scott and I have just made the decision to try and change my life drastically.   Now I have to overcome many years of abuse and neglect to my body, in order to try and get myself into some sort of decent shape.  I'm completely new to Parkour, though when I was much younger I played around with the basics as most children do.    Now I'm 32 years old and counting, have lived a mostly sedenatry life for the past decade and change.   I'm in the process of trying to quit smoking after a bit more than a decade of that as well.   My eating habits and diet are horrible.  I'd say I'm relatively healthy in view of that, but I have no stamina, not that strong and all the flexibility of a week old bagel.

This is gonna be a long, painful process.   Especially as I am doing it on my own and have always found 'working out' to be tedious and have a hard time forcing myself to keep at it.   Parkour caught my interest though, the philosphies behind it... the basic idea, it's appealing.   Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

It's really intimidating looking around and realizing how few people I see trying to do this at my age.  90% of the people I see in vids, or even posting on forums seem to be in their teens still.  What I wouldn't give to have the resiliency and adaptability I had then.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »
Hey Scott, welcome to American Parkour. You have made a good decision regarding your lifestyle. I advise you to stick close to this forum, and read as much of the information here as you can between your training sessions. It will help you to post alot on here, because the feedback you get will be very useful, and it will help you to establish a relationship with the other members. That in turn will help keep you motivated. The camaraderie found within parkour is one of the things that helps people to stick with it. Trust me, you can learn alot here, even from the younger members. Don't let the age thing inhibit you. There are others here who are older than us. I am 33 and will be 34 very soon, and since I started training, my living habits have completely changed. I feel I'm in better shape now than I have been in many years. So with that, I hope to see you around in the future!

Offline Coreydh11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

My name is Corey and I live right next to Philly. I just got into parkour 2 weeks ago and now i'm like crazy for it. I'm only 14 but ever since i was a kid i would always play 'hot lava' or 'don't touch the ground' at every playground i've been to. and now i'm just steppin it up a notch or three.