Author Topic: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!  (Read 558452 times)

Offline Melanie Crick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome Thread - New Members please announce here!
« Reply #2600 on: December 19, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Hello.

I'm Melanie and I've been interested in Free-Running for quite a while

I like to draw, write stories, and think of the future.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:16 PM »
Hello Melanie, and Welcome to APK ;D

Have you checked out the Kentucky Boards to try to meet local traceurs/traceuses to train with?  If not, I'd give it a shot.  Also, we've got a ton of great info in the Freerunning Movement Forum for you to look at if you're interested in the art.  Beyond that, we're here to help, so if you have questions you can send me or any of the other APK Staff a PM.  We'll be happy to try to answer your questions, and if we don't have the answers, we'll help to point you in the right direction.

Once Again, Welcome!!!...and train hard. ;)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Daphne G

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
Hello. I know this is an old thread with recent posts.  I discovered parkour about a week ago and decided I should make my first post here. I used to stay inside most of the time and watch too much t.v. or sitting at my computer. Now I am outside, trying warm up exercises and running some to build stamina (I am not 'in shape' yet). So parkour has inspired me to not only be active and enjoy it, but to set goals and make slow but steady progress.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 20, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »
Hello Daphne! ;D  Welcome to APK

Parkour is a great way to make training your body more exciting.  That's actually how I discovered the art, as I was trying to cross train for martial arts.  If you have questions regarding the more physical sides of exercise and diet, feel free to hit us up at the General Fitness boards.  There's more in the stickies for that board than a decent book on the subject.  If you have any further questions, PM me or any of the rest of the APK staff.

Train Hard.  Make slow and steady progress.  You've got a great system there, and I wish you the best. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Ed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 26, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
hello im from fontana and im wondering if there any spots to train
-Rea 8)

Offline michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 26, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
hi i'm michelle
from ann arbor michigan
pretty new into the sport

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2606 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
Hey Ed and Michelle!

Ed - you might be a little better off posting your questions about training partners and spots to train in the California Section. If you can't find anyone to help you out, however, I really recommend you explore and try things out on your own! Obviously, don't try anything reckless or dangerous without training and becoming very confident in your capabilities. That being said, I find that training on my own can sometimes be much more beneficial than having others teach you.

Michelle - Take a look at the Michigan Section if you haven't already to find some people in your area. I'm pretty sure there is a school club at a college in Ann Arbor, so there should be some people in your area...

If either of you have any questions, feel free to message me by clicking the little chat box icon under my profile! See you around :)

Offline Alex 'Mercury' Garner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I choose to rise, not fall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 27, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
Hi, I'm Alexander Thomas Mercury Ashoka Trust Garner.. (simply Merc :P) and I live in Topeka, Kansas.

I can run, vault, slide, cat leap, kind of kong vault, but I'm too gyroscopically incorrect to roll right or flip.
Run, run like the wind!

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »
What's up, Folks?

I'm Jason AKA Stealth. I hail from just south of Baltimore MD. I'm kinda new to PK as a real discipline but I've been climbing , jumpling and running my whole life. When Mom said "stop acting like a monkey" I didn't listen. Looking for maybe some pointers or inspiration but mainly just people to Jam with or discuss Philosophy.

Stay Classy and Keep it Flashy
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Aaron Brown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • a.brown.bird
« Reply #2609 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
honestly , not sure if i already did this. I'm still pretty new , so what the hell.
Aaron, 38, living in Oklahoma City. Training since 3/2011. I spend a lot of time on strength and flexibility so when i can go out and play :) I'm ready for it. Also play music and sing. Looking to make some music for your parkour video!!!

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #2610 on: December 29, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
Welcome Merc, Jason, and Aaron!

First off I'd like to direct You guys to the General Fitness boards for advice on diet and overall fitness.  ;)
I'm also going to point you toward the Movement boards for tips and tutorials on almost any parkour, freerunning, or tricking movement you can think of!

Oh and Merc if you're interested in training with other traceurs in your area try the Kansas boards.  8) I can already see Jason, and Aaron found their way around the forums so need in telling them something they already know  :P

If you guys have any questions feel free to message me or any other staff member on the forums with that little speech bubble under our avatars. 
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Paul Exter

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: December 30, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm Paul.

I'm 19 and I've been doing parkour for about 1 month now. I've been on this site for maybe about 1 week, with the new year coming I'd like to start a 365 day training journal.

Offline Sarah

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: January 01, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Hey I'm Sarah, and I live in Connecticut
and I train with my friend Lauren and I've been practicing since today lol, just starting  c:

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2613 on: January 01, 2012, 08:03:42 AM »
Hey Paul and Sarah! Welcome to APK, and happy new year!!

I'd like to think that the forum is easy enough to understand/figure out, so if you guys have any questions, definitely send me a personal message. See you around! :)

Offline Dallas Oeder

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Waaaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »
Hey! Name's Dallas, and I'm from Lebanon, Oregon.

Haven't started any Parkour/Free-Running yet, but it's something I've always been interested in. Going into the Navy soon and needed a good work-out regiment, and stumbled on this site! Killing two birds with one stone huh?
Parkour is.

Offline Max K

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: January 03, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
what's up apk.

I'm Max, I go by Max, Vic, or EmmVeeKay LOL.

Just started getting into parkour, and just iDJ

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: January 03, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
Welcome, Max! Good luck with your training and I hope you stick with it. Its life changing if you want it to be!

Offline Sterne Evans

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:35 AM »
Hello APK!

Sterne here, born and raised in NYC. Two summers ago I did Parkour with a good friend of mine for the majority of the year. I'm still very amateur-ish and haven't done anything since then.

Hoping to meet some people, maybe join up on some group stuff, so I can get back into it.

I'll never know why Google Search is always my last resort for these type of things.... go figure.

Anyway - I work full time in Brooklyn so I may not be so active on the forums outside of late evenings :) So far what I've seen is damn spiffy so I'm excited to be here! Woo woo

Offline alexander

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • warepire1 (facebook page)
« Reply #2618 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
im Alexander and i live in kentucky
and i practice parkour and freerunning along wit tricking (newly)
ive been doing this for  about a year in a half
and im currently doing the 366/52
and yeah
my youtube channel is warepire1
~train safe
-warepire1

Offline Chase

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
Chase here.  I call Ocean View, NJ home right now, but I spent most of my life in the Harrisburg, PA area.  I was doing PK/freerunning ever since I can remember, but I never knew it because it didn't have a name back then.  I was always called "insane", not a traceur.  My friend JR and I would run around the city, climbing over everything.  Finding shortcuts, often going through people's yards, and jumping/scaling any obstacle that got in our way.  It is somewhat astounding that I'm even around anymore to make this post.

I thought a few years ago about getting back into it, but just didn't find the time or motivation.  Plus... now, when you're 27, doing that stuff is called "trespassing", and not merely the result of being a cute kid.  And it seems practically everything is private property these days.  So, I'll have to be more mindful of where I chose to do it (no more cutting through yards).

Right now my main concerns are improving my cardio... I've kept myself in decent shape over time, but can't run around all day like I did back then.  And... finding the right shoes (practically a philosophical question, it seems).  And of course, a lot of work on technique. 

Anyhow, thanks for having me.
*Insert Clever Comment Here*