Author Topic: National Shutdown on College Parkour Clubs?  (Read 9034 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: National Shutdown on College Parkour Clubs?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 03:29:57 AM »
OK, a couple of things here.

The word National does not belong in this thread's title, Muhammed can you please remove it. - There is nothing about your situation that would affect any other club, except to the extent that people should understand what's happening. I would even say that this thread belongs in the "College Club" forums, because those are the people who will be most effected.

Please don't talk about "Wat to do about parkour at school" unless it is DIRECTLY related to this instance, because there is already a huge thread for that.

I started a new thread about certification, it deserves its own topic.

Lastly, this sucks! But deal with it in a mature and open way, even create some publicity about it at school, ask other clubs for their advice, with enough exposure it will help to have the school make a fair decision, and also help them to stick to their decision of allowing a club in the first place. Have you written a training curriculum and safety notice for new members? I would share those with the school. Not a disclaimer, but something that actually tells people how to be safe.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 07:11:08 AM »
I said "national" for a specific reason. We were told by one of the faculty of OSU that there was talk between multiple universities of shutting down all of the parkour clubs hosted by American schools, and that was the point of this whole post, to give you all a heads up.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »
Please refer back to the beginning of this thread.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
Sorry, I missed that.

Has Joseph asked for clarification on that? I certainly would, as he now has the closest link to this information, and in my opinion, the responsibility to follow up on it!

I would ask who has spoken with who and at what universities so that founders of the other clubs can speak with their governing bodies to see if there are any concerns. If not, then whoever is working to shut them down will have the conversations without the input of the club founders.
Be Useful.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 09:41:59 AM »
This is just flat-out stupid. it's a sport in the making, and I can't see how the officials of the school can see presentations and formal requests and allow a group, and then say that the members are no longer allowed to do it on campus. The club is a CAMPUS SPONSORED CLUB isn't it?
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 10:16:54 AM »
Yes, it was approved by the OSU Athletic Department, and is still in the stages of formation.

M2, I will definitely pry into that and try to find more information, because I am curious to know more about this myself ;)

As a matter of fact, I'm going to the OSU Involvement Fair right now, where we will have a space set up to represent OSUPK. I will try to find more information tonight if I can.

Offline ghostinthebox

• Patas
  • A storm is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »
definitely keep us informed on this muhammad.  it really does seem silly, especially considering the multitude of high-impact clubs most universities have, so that's not a valid argument.  and, once they are made aware that there really is no such thing as a 'certified parkour trainer' currently, i don't see how they can stick to that... as others here have mentioned, having someone involved who has some sort of license in sports medicine, or a professional personal trainer, something along those lines would i'm sure go a long way.  beyond this, it seems like they should just mandate that everyone in the club wear non-marking outsoles while participating in club activities, and that the club is financially responsible for any damage it causes.  that would be perfectly fair, and reasonable i think.  good luck at the involvement fair!
think like a child, yet move with purpose.

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »
Hey all,
Sorry I have not posted on this topic myself yet but my computer has had a virus for the past week and a half so I have had limited access to the internet.  Also, since all this trouble with the club started the limited time that I have had access I have been working on managing things at this end.  Unfortunately as of today I do not have any more information as to Mr. Harris’s (the Director of Rec. Sports at OSU) comment about conversations amongst University Risk Management Departments looking into shutting down other university parkour programs.  I received information about this on Thursday of last week and over the weekend he was not available because he was not in his office.  However, I have written Mr. Harris asking for some clarification on this topic as well as some other statements he has made regarding the club specifically.  I have also requested to have a meeting with the President of OSU’s Risk Management Dept.  We have a rough outline for our plan of attack that I hope to solidify tonight as to how we hope to go about approaching this issue.  In any case I suspect it will take another day to hear back from Mr. Harris and I don’t expect to have a meeting with our Risk Management Dept. (if they agree to see me) before the end of the week.  However, I will be sure to pass along any information of anything that I find out that might affect any other clubs nationally as soon as I find out about it.  Also, I’ll make a new thread in the club section of this forum to keep everyone that is interested about events as they unfold at OSU.  There, I will also add any information I can about how we dealt with OSU for any other clubs that might find any trouble coming up their way. I would also like to say that I deeply appreciate the sympathy and advice that many of you have posted on this thread for our club – to me it really shows what a great community we have here on APK.
Best,
-Joseph Torchia

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 12:23:53 PM »
Thanks Joseph! Please keep us informed!
Be Useful.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »
Univ: "Sure you can have a chess club! Here's your official recognition!"
Chess club: "Yayyyy!"
Univ: "Someone told me they are playing chess on campus... with pieces and a board and everything! Shit! Shit! Shut them down!"

I mean honestly.

Talking about The History Of Chess is one thing, actually playing it [is] quite another ;)
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.