Author Topic: National Shutdown on College Parkour Clubs?  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
National Shutdown on College Parkour Clubs?
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:36:27 PM »
Recently, the OSU Parkour Club was interviewed by the Columbus Dispatch, which is our city's largest newspaper. The article they published, along with the video footage they posted on their website was very nice. It actually was the main story on the front page, and it has drawn a lot of local attention. The problem with this is some of that attention is coming from the heads of the Ohio State University, who were very angry to find out that the founder of the club, Joseph Torchia, is not officially certified as a Parkour Trainer, and that we have been holding our training sessions on university grounds. Keep in mind, that we applied for an official club with the OSU Athletic Department, and were approved. Since the article has come out in the paper however, the Athletic Department Faculty are in a bit of a jam. They basically told us that the shit has hit the fan. We have been issued a statement from the chief of the campus police to refrain from doing any more training on OSU grounds until further notice.

We are going to try to correct this situation by educating the school officials about parkour in order to dispel their misconceptions as best as we can. What disturbs me the most about this was that a member of the OSU Athletic Department mentioned to Joseph, our club founder, that there has been talk among the universities of shutting down ALL of the college sponsored parkour clubs, nationally. I don't know any more details about it other than that, but I thought I would give you all a heads up, just so you are aware. It looks like we might have a rocky future ahead of us, with the sudden drastic increase in media coverage and subsequent rise in popularity, so everyone is going to have to work a little bit harder to get our discipline accepted by the society. This is just something we all need to think hard about, because it is looming in our immediate future.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
  • Be a Master of your Environment
    • View Profile
Re: National Shutdown on College Parkour Clubs?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:21:34 AM »
Dangiiiit, that may happen before I can even get into a University... :(

It seems like the problem might have been that fall someone took after a vault...they caught it fairly well with a roll, but maybe non-traceurs would see that as a bad thing?

And who ever heard of an official Parkour Trainer anyway? Maybe someone should explain that to OSU.
There is no "better," there is only "different." -Me

May the Flow be with you. -Beans

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:32:29 AM »
I think that's a very important point. Tell them that there aren't "certified parkour trainers," because there is no central parkour organization to dole them out. But then tell them how long you've been training, and then I guess just beg. >.>  <.<  >.>

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:36:39 AM »
Wow, that is bad.

I'd say for everyone who is any type of religious, pray. We need as much guidance on this issue as we can.

Please everybody, be wise.

You have my best wishes!

Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 04:40:33 AM »
That's awful, Muhammed! Here we all are, getting excited and welcoming media exposure, when it seems it can sometimes bite us in the ass like this. How can they sanction the club, then later down the road act like it's something they don't want? Ridiculous.

Univ: "Sure you can have a chess club! Here's your official recognition!"
Chess club: "Yayyyy!"
Univ: "Someone told me they are playing chess on campus... with pieces and a board and everything! Shit! Shit! Shut them down!"

I mean honestly.

Here in Charlotte, NC, we're a/b to be featured on the local FOX channel's news... I hope nothing similar happens b/c we train weekly on a Univ campus here... Maybe I'll make it readily apparent that it need not be mentioned where we go to jam...

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »
I mean come on. How ignorant can you be? Them being able to shut down every parkour club (underground or not) will NEVER happen. It's like them banning walking and running on campus.  Maybe they'll ban at it at YOUR university...so that's up to you...but i'd like to see UMaine try and touch me.

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 05:42:53 AM »
While that is pretty terrible I'm inclined to say that OSU seems to be the black sheep in colleges that have parkour clubs. Show them Jump Westminster :]

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 06:18:23 AM »
That straight up blows. They can shut down your clubs but can they really shut everyone down? I hope the don't shut down the ones in high school either cause I want to get one going. Good luck man.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 06:19:49 AM »
While that is pretty terrible I'm inclined to say that OSU seems to be the black sheep in colleges that have parkour clubs. Show them Jump Westminster :]

Joseph already referred university officials to Jump Westminster when he was originally getting approval for the club. I really hope this can get straightened out...  :-\

I think our strongest argument here is that people are going to start doing this stuff one way or the other as parkour becomes increasingly popular in the following years--universities such as Ohio State do not have control over that. What they do have control over, is if people will have somewhere to go to safely and responsibly learn how to train in parkour.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:25:01 AM »
Im sorry for the situation you are in. It's very unfair. Do they have a Skateboard club? Maybe a bike trials club? They have those at Tech and they are allowed on campus to perform activity so if they ever get close to bashign on us, I'll refer them to those clubs first.

Even if they do disband/ban parkour clubs, it's not like it's going to stop any of us from training and doing what we love :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 06:38:03 AM »
What about intramurals?  I know intramural football, soccer, and floor hockey got pretty rough.  Those were sanctioned by the school.  I don't see the difference.
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
Wait it out for now. You have a powerful argument when you say you destroy nothing, you have waivers (IF you have waivers), you practice safety before anything, and there is no such thing as a parkour trainer (outside of Primal Fitness of course).

They may ban the club, but they cant ban the activity. Not a tragedy, you can always go to the newspaper and tell them your story, hopefully they can write another front-pager about how unfair youre being treated.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »
Not a tragedy, you can always go to the newspaper and tell them your story, hopefully they can write another front-pager about how unfair youre being treated.

Awesome. Why didn't I think of that?
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »

Joseph already referred university officials to Jump Westminster when he was originally getting approval for the club. I really hope this can get straightened out...  :-\

I think our strongest argument here is that people are going to start doing this stuff one way or the other as parkour becomes increasingly popular in the following years--universities such as Ohio State do not have control over that. What they do have control over, is if people will have somewhere to go to safely and responsibly learn how to train in parkour.

Nick is right on the money with that. We are going to have to work hard to overcome the misconceptions people have. Before our club can be allowed to continue its training sessions on campus, we are going to have to give more presentations, and do a lot of explaining. It's an understandable reaction really considering people's lack of knowledge on the subject, and the liability issues surrounding it. I think most of these officials are just worried about it because they're viewing it from a legal standpoint. The case in point is, however, that people are going to do it no matter what, so it's best they help us get it right, so people don't go out and hurt themselves trying to learn all by themselves, without any guidance.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »
Wait it out for now. You have a powerful argument when you say you destroy nothing, you have waivers (IF you have waivers), you practice safety before anything, and there is no such thing as a parkour trainer (outside of Primal Fitness of course).

They may ban the club, but they cant ban the activity. Not a tragedy, you can always go to the newspaper and tell them your story, hopefully they can write another front-pager about how unfair youre being treated.

Yeah, that was one of the first things I considered.  We are going to wait before taking a drastic measures like that. We are going to try to argue and educate first.

Offline Overdrive

• Patas
  • Wilmington, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 10:38:16 AM »
That's bullshit  >:(

What I would do, is try and set up a meeting with the big cheese at osu, at which time you and joseph, explain why the club should be allowed, aswell as find out why exactly they banned it, and from there, find a solution to all of your problems. That's how I did it at the middle school I started at, the faculty kept stopping me, so I talked to the principle, and now they can't touch me. Best of luck.
Overdrive: 2. extra hard level of activity: a particularly intense and productive mode of activity, usually possible only for short periods

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
This is why I've been having trouble with making the club at UMD official. UMD demands faculty advisers and trainers for every athletic club, and well... there just aren't any Parkour trainers.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline Overdrive

• Patas
  • Wilmington, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
A problem that's easily solved, you can pull up a picture of a certificate on google, alter it, print it out, and BOOM "certified parkour trainer" ;)
Overdrive: 2. extra hard level of activity: a particularly intense and productive mode of activity, usually possible only for short periods

Offline Overdrive

• Patas
  • Wilmington, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
Scratch the google thing

http://www.certificatecreator.com/