Author Topic: Of parkour/free running videos...  (Read 2524 times)

Offline apil

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Of parkour/free running videos...
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
I've been seriously training for a about 9 months, i have a few friends friends i train with nearly every day. One, we call him Tanto is obsessed with filming all the things we do and keeps making videos because he "wants to get our names out there". I would like to hear your opinions on making parkour videos. Also here are links to the 2 videos he's made, in truth, i dont like them at all, they're too choppy i think, but i happen to be in them so i would like some input. Please tell me your opinions of these, and be critical.
thanks for your time,
-R3d
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOv4Xrxk0Vg    -1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsUkPoHZiME   -2

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Of parkour/free running videos...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »
there is way too much camera shake. get a tripod and set up some shots with that. if you do any hand held stuff, work on holding the camera steadier and moving it more smoothly.

also, take it easy on the big drops. there were a lot of bad landings and you guys aren't ready to handle them.

for the most part the rest shows you guys are on the right track. just keep practicing and you'll keep improving.

Offline Zuxzux

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
Cool videos I agree about the landings though, the foot placement was off on some of them and there were more than a couple times where there probably should have been a roll.

Not bad though I'm about where you guys are at.

Offline Andy Taber

• Guenons
  • Cogito, ergo sum.
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
As far as movie making is concerned, I agree with Demon about the camera shake, while it can be usefull in adding a certain feel to a video, the kind seen was simply due to an unsteady hand. Also, if your friend really is into making movies he needs to be considering lighting. Many of the daytime shots had too much exposure, whereas many of the night time shots it's difficult to decern what is actually going on. Another thing, the seccond video was better about this, but consider the timing fo the clips to coincide with certain parts of a song for added dramatic effect. It's amazing how much music can affect the way a movie feels.

As far as parkour, Demon is right again about the drops, it deffinetly looks like you are a little too ambitious; know your limits and push them, but do not go beyond them. Work on making landings smoother and more natural. I also noticed that the climb-ups were a little slow; pull ups and a few sessions working on technique should get them up to speed.

Other than that there were some cool ideas, and keep on training hard!

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »
It sounds like you are also asking about making Parkour Videos in general as well...so I'll address that part of your question:

From what I've seen...videos seem to fall into three general categories:

1. Videos that help spread the Parkour "message". Videos that show traceurs interacting with their environment...usually a lot of fundamental movement..something you could throw on and say: "That is Parkour" (Freerunning, whatever)

2.Video tutorials. Usually focusing on one particular movement played back many times and from different angles to help teach the movement.

3. The "This is me doing Parkour" videos. These can be anything from very well put together montages to horrible shots of teenagers jumping off roofs and breaking themselves while heavy metal plays in the background.

There are many shades of grey in there...and some videos that really stand out from the pack...but the majority of videos seem to fall into these three.

I think it's worth thinking about why you want to make a video...is it to show off your stuff? promote Parkour? teach someone new? This will help you thematically when framing shots and in editing later...At my first local jam I brought my camera and shot a bunch of random shots that ended up being almost useless when I started editing. (60 mins down to something like 30 seconds of decent film) If I had a theme in my mind, I would have been looking to where I wanted shots to help push that.

....One, we call him Tanto is obsessed with filming all the things we do and keeps making videos because he "wants to get our names out there". I would like to hear your opinions on making parkour videos.

Your friend is definitely interested in category 3. Which is fine...just make sure he doesn't get you to do something you aren't ready for in order to get recognized.

All 3 categories are enjoyable to me in the times I'm not training. And I'm old...so I'm often sitting on my behind icing some part of my body or another... ;) But thinking of what your goal is in filming I think will really help.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 02:32:15 PM »
Decent vid, next time don't rush into making a vid, atleast wait like a year to put out a vid, it didn't seem like you waited a year at least, cause that will capture your real skill when it will be enjoyable to watch, and on that first vid the kid in the white/gray T-shirt in the skater shoes and baggy pants is the epitome of a person who thinks they are a traceur.
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING