Author Topic: The national Jam, Let's Do It Right!  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
The national Jam, Let's Do It Right!
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:18 PM »
In just a couple of days, the much anticipated national jam in Colorado will be taking place. As the days dwindle down to what’s expected to be an epic gathering, preparations need to be taking place with all who are attending. I am not talking about physical preparation; I am talking about mental preparation. Most everyone knows that it would be a dive bomb effort to get in the kind of shape that is demanded by our discipline by Friday. However, it is never too late to sharpen the mind and get in tact with your abilities.

There is going to be a traceur of every level in Colorado over the next week, and no matter what level you are, you need to know where you stand in your individual abilities. With 100+ traceurs gathering to train, I can say with certainty that injuries will occur! Let’s face it, accidents happen! BUT, it is up to each and every one of us to curb the severity of those injuries!  Some may be asking, how do I do that?? Well here are some safety tips to think about!
•   KNOW YOUR ABILITIES!
•   DON’T GIVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE!
•   WHERE ARE YOUR STRENGTHS AND WHERE ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES?
•   CHECK YOUR SURFACES (LETS FACE IT, SHIFT HAPPENS!)
•   DON’T TAKE ANY UNNESSECARY RISKS
•   DON’T FIGHT FATIGUE, IF YOUR TIRED, STOP! (REMEMBER, YOU ARE THOUSANDS OF FEET UP, AIR IS THINER!)
•   LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, IT WON’T STEER YOU WRONG!
•   LOOK OUT FOR YOUR FELLOW TRACEUR
•   ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!

These are just some of the things to think about before lacing up those nice new sneakers. I challenge everyone to sit down and make a personal list of your strengths and weaknesses and think out what your true abilities are. With that written down and thought out, try to find the line that defines progression and sheer stupidity. Progression is great, but what is even better is progressing in a manner that is smart. If you have anything else that you personally think about before training, by all means, think it!
This brings me to my next point.

Some are going to feel pressured to perform in front of more skilled traceurs, don’t fall victim to peer pressure. This takes cooperation from both the more skilled and the noobies. It is ok if you can’t do something that someone else can. It’s not always what you can do that defines you, its what you choose not to do that shapes and makes you stronger!

Another point to bring up and dwell upon is that most of you are guests in the state of Colorado, and when you’re a guest, you need to respect the host’s home. This also goes for in-staters! There are 50+ traceurs in Colorado who train often at the prime locations you will be visiting and in order for we natives to continue training there; property, authority, and the public needs to be respected! This means no defacing property, no littering, not misrepresenting yourselves or parkour, and definitely no disrespecting fellow traceurs or the public around you. Our discipline is still very young, and our hands and faces are still clean, so don’t dirty them up by portraying yourselves or parkour negatively. With all that said, I hope every one has a blast at this national jam, its going to be something to remember for years to come! There will be so much to experience and learn, so take it all in, and remember to do so safely! I can’t wait to see all of you out there!

Strydzz
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
Re: The national Jam, Let's Do It Right!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:49:21 AM »
Strydzz,

Awesome post...I think this should be stickied here for all future big jams.

Your points on staying within your personal limits and on visiting traceur etiquette are something all should read!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Hunter Neiblum

• Mangabey
  • Be Free my friend......
    • View Profile
Re: The national Jam, Let's Do It Right!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »
that was alot of fun!!!!
It is not that things are impossible that we don't dare... It's that we don't dare that things are impossible.

Winter's Bite, clouds black as nite, the suns light, torretial rain, and a hint of pain-   Performance At My Best