Author Topic: Training with ankle weights  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Drake?

• Patas
  • I like to smile
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace ( one for parkour friends )
Training with ankle weights
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
Does any one no if it's helpful?
My name is Drake, and I have been training parkour/free running since December of 2006.

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
Re: Training with ankle weights
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »
I once saw a cartoon where they strapped these gigantic weights to the character's ankles and made him jump.
At first he couldn't even move, but by the end of the episode he could jump over huge gaps.

So if it good for cartoon characters it's gotta be good for real life people too.. ;)

Seriously though, if you trained with them on, doing anything without them would make you feel like you were floating.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Cody Beltramo

• Patas
  • SSJ3500
    • View Profile
    • SSJ3500.net
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
I'm sure M2 will probably give a good comment on this one.

But, here's my opinion.  I've been meaning to train with weighted clothing for a while, I've messed around with ankle and wrist weights.  It's true, you feel so light after having those on for a while.  I've done a bit of parkour with ankle weights on, it didn't seem to change things that much, but the benefit didn't seem that much different than just running with them on.  I recently purchased an adjustable 100 lb weight vest, I plan on training with that after a while, I've been working on just getting a regular training schedule set up to begin with.  After adjusting to that I'll slowly start adding weight.

I would highly advise weighted training though.  I think it would be similar to weight lifting, except "move" specific.  If you can run up and over a wall with an extra amount of weight, it should be a lot easier when you do it with no extra weight.  This would also strengthen muscles you use in parkour, but cannot easily strengthen by weight training.

Not only that, but I believe that training with weighted clothing would drastically improve your vertical jump.  I'm not completely sure, but that is something I plan on testing, can't really think of a reason it wouldn't work though.

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
I would reccomend weight vests over ankle weights.  In my experience it is easier to control your movements and there is less clattering around.  you end up with too much extra momentum on your feet with ankle weights.  But weighted training is definately a help.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
You should probably be careful doing any big drops with a 100 lbs weighted vest on, that is until you get really used to it.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:47:33 PM »
I would reccomend weight vests over ankle weights.  In my experience it is easier to control your movements and there is less clattering around.  you end up with too much extra momentum on your feet with ankle weights.

I lack direct experience in ankle weights specifically, but have hearsay from other areas that going from high weight to low weight tosses precision right out the window. You're used to compensating for all that extra inertia, and suddenly you're over-compensating. I think you'd probably notice the difference most in precision jumps, especially when aiming for a narrow horizontal beam/etc.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »
ain't worth while'n
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

ruskiman

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
i don't do parkour with weights, but I do exercises for parkour with weights, such as jumping up and bringing my knees to the chest with extra 50 lbs. It mostly helps me get explosive power, condition my abs for bringing my knees in, and strengthen my ankles for landing.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »
Don't run or move around a lot with ankle weights. It will mess up your run. Ankle weights aren't meant for that anyway -- they're either meant for rehab or making exercises like hanging leg lifts or knees to elbows harder.

If you're want to weight yourself while doing things, use a weight vest. There are studies out on using weight vests and having people significantly increase their vertical leaps BUT once they take it off it goes away. Therefore, the adaptions are most likely neurological which cannot be kept by the body very well unless you wear it all the time (which is also not adviseable).
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 02:48:49 PM »
There are studies out on using weight vests and having people significantly increase their vertical leaps BUT once they take it off it goes away. Therefore, the adaptions are most likely neurological which cannot be kept by the body very well unless you wear it all the time (which is also not adviseable).

Unless the weights have their own benefits, such as Kevlar or a cooling vest, in which case you'd better be wearing one all the time ;)
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »
Don't run or move around a lot with ankle weights. It will mess up your run. Ankle weights aren't meant for that anyway -- they're either meant for rehab or making exercises like hanging leg lifts or knees to elbows harder.

If you're want to weight yourself while doing things, use a weight vest. There are studies out on using weight vests and having people significantly increase their vertical leaps BUT once they take it off it goes away. Therefore, the adaptions are most likely neurological which cannot be kept by the body very well unless you wear it all the time (which is also not adviseable).

Sorry there Steve, but I have to disagree with you.
Wearing weights makes it harder for you to accomplish a certain goal, due to increased resistance, this builds up muscle to overcome the resistance, take away the resistance, such as your ankle weights or your weighted vest and what? Does the muscle you gained disappear? No! The muscle you have gained is retained, and thus you can lift your own body weight very easily because you've gained enough muscle to lift a body weight that wasn't your own.
It's the same as weight training, but has some very different advantages.
Such as what took a certain amount of energy and power to achieve, will take less once you've removed your weighted vest or ankle weights(however I agree, ankle weights are inadvisable for use in actual parkour) it takes less energy and less power to achieve.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
Sorry for the double post.
I understand that last bit might not have made sense, this is to make up for my inability to make sense. lol.

I merely meant if you wanted to jump over a wall, with the weight, you'd have to gain extra muscle, due to the resistance of the extra weight.
Without the extra weight, it'll be easier to get over the wall.
This form of weight training, not only builds strength, but endurance at the same time.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 05:17:24 PM »
You can disagree with me all you want except the extra weight you're wearing is probably not a big enough stimulus to elicit muscle gain EVEN if you wear it for multiple days in a row for the whole day. That is unless you're actually [resistance] training with it in which it would be something like murph with a 20 lbs weight vest. I'm skeptical that doing Parkour with weight vests will actually do much at all unless it's specific gauntlet type stuff like Demon suggests because it's not actually that intensive.

In any case, even IF you train with it a lot there's MUCH better ways to invest your time anyway.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Cody Beltramo

• Patas
  • SSJ3500
    • View Profile
    • SSJ3500.net
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:46 PM »
Most weight vests I've heard of are adjustable, allowing you to start as low as you want, moving up to it's maximum weight.  The vest I have can go from 2.5 lbs to 100 lbs.  The good thing about training with an adjustable weight vest is that you can train at a lighter weight, and then as your body adapts to the weight, increase it.  I'm pretty sure that if you train with a weight vest and eventually work up to 100 lbs (Hell, 50 lbs), and work enough so that you can do the same stuff with the vest as you originally could without it, that the benefit would be excellent.  Example, if you can jump onto an object three feet up, do 20 dips, and 50 push ups, and 10 pull ups, all without the extra weight.  If you eventually work up to the point where you can do that with the extra weight, the change in the amount you can do without it should be a whole lot higher, at least twice as much.

I've only done a little with my weight vest, but I have no trouble at all doing dips.  With only 10 lbs in the vest, I was getting tired after 10.  Imagine the strength gain if I worked up to the point where I could do 25 or so with the full 100 lbs.  Then again, I am one of those crazy people who does plan on wearing it all the time.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »
I would not recommend doing parkour with ankle weights.

Training reason: Weighted vests are one thing, because the weight is added to your core, but with the weight of your hands/feet modified, it could seriously impare your technique, especially if you train with it long enough for it to have beneficial muscular effects.

Example: Training a distance kong with ankle weights. You'd have to really get more "umph" into getting your feet up than you would otherwise. If you get used to this, next time you kong without the weights, you'll probably be used to the added weight, and your feet could go far too high.

Scientific reason: Running with ankle weights is awful for your joints (knees, ankles). The joints grow to be able to support the weight of your foot, which inreases slowly over a long period of time, so the joint has time to strengthen slowly. If you suddenly add a pound or two to each foot, the impact when running gets significantly higher, which WILL cause damage to your knees. (Science proves it. And you can't fight science!)

I'd imagine training parkour would cause the same problems.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 04:41:26 PM »
Understandable.
I think I talked without thinking first.

Offline willgrind747

• Patas
  • Calm like a Bomb
    • View Profile
    • OHIO Parkour
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:19 AM »
I need to steer gear to this topic, he should have some good input. one of the first things I did at Primal was try and start doing precisions and top-outs with a weight vest, and he advised me against for reasons similar to the ones Steve and happydud have mentioned.
""No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »
Haha, I guess it was my love to argue. So I apologize Steve Low for being a jerk, and having no fact to my argument. lol
Have a nice day.

Offline Aperion89

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »
I was thinking of getting a weighted vest soon I allready have wrist and ankle weights.
"Please stand by"