Author Topic: How long it took you?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How long it took you?
« on: August 05, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »
So Im brand new to parkour, and was wondering how long it took you guys to be able to perform the moves correctly.  I just want to make sure I don't move to fast.

I train my body every day, and do parkour every other.

So for example how long did it take you guys to be able to increase height on a drop and roll.

How about vaults, or pretty much anything else

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: How long it took you?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:43 AM »
In about two week I was doing things I never considered doing...From there every week or two of training I would greatly improve in the space of a few days, then it would level out for a week or two...and so on.

I would say you will have everything down in 3 months to a year (it varies a huge amount depending on yourself, if you can train with anyone, how much you train...ect)

Matt
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
  • Be a Master of your Environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:03:18 AM »
I still can't do some of the more advanced stuff (kong, wall top-offs) but most of the basics are down for me at about a month. Still need to get the roll down, work on jump height, etc. but I can do most of the basics that I need for that.
There is no "better," there is only "different." -Me

May the Flow be with you. -Beans

Offline Drake?

• Patas
  • I like to smile
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace ( one for parkour friends )
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
about 1 month with training every other day.
My name is Drake, and I have been training parkour/free running since December of 2006.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »
Emphasis mine:

So Im brand new to parkour, and was wondering how long it took you guys to be able to perform the moves correctly.  I just want to make sure I don't move to fast.

I train my body every day
, and do parkour every other.

Take some time off. At least rotate which parts of your body are being trained. It's important to give yourself time to rest and recover. Constant training can wear out your body, break it down.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 01:54:06 AM »
It depends what moves cause some take many many months but for me I can do all the moves now but am working on technique
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
Oh i deffinately make sure I'm working different muscles. but eventualy could you practice parkour every day?

ruskiman

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »
I think i can offer my $.02 on this one. Its been 1/2 a year since I started parkour, and I can pull off 12 foot wall runs, do kongs over picnic tables, and perform all the movements right now. Im currently working on freerunning stuff, like flips, and getting more explosive power out of my jumps. Since I started parkour, ive been doing some form of parkour mostly every day, allowing myself one or 2 days to rest and recover

With that said, Ive never had joint or muscle problems, and never broken anything, so my body could take the abuse. You may be different. But Ive definitely learned that if you push yourself every day, even if its for 30 mins, and along with proper nutrition, you will get good quick.

The key is setting challenges for yourself consistently and getting that challenge no matter what. With that, not only you will developed muscle for performing that move, but the mental state/muscle memory to where you can do that move every time.

Example: I set a challenge for me to do this kong where the launch for it was about 7 feet away. I was both scared and not sure if I had the physical ability to do that move. So, I rested the day before with minimal excersize, got plenty of protein, and the next day I spent 2 hours of consistently drilling a kong at another place, each time forcing myself to go out further and further. I got some bruises because of a couple failed attempts, but pretty soon i realized that I was not jumping high enough. So i forced myself to jump higher and by the end of the 2 hours, i was dead tired but I was able to do the original kong. Not only did i get a killer workout, but i have imprinted the technique in my head due to consistent repitition.

Like I said, you health history may be so that you physically cant do parkour every day, but the harder you push yourself the faster you are going to get better.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:15:53 AM »
I think I can speak for everyone both on this forum and elsewhere, we all started learning how to do the "teachable" movements fairly early and probably took us a few weeks to get "correct," but we are by no means maxed out on what we can do. Ive been at it for 2+ years now and dont consider myself to be able to do all the moves correctly in every situation, because no two moves from two different people can ever be alike. At this point in parkour and free-running, we are still experimenting, trying to find out what works best, and nobody really knows what is "correct" (to a certain extent).

So starting now, you are probably about 2 years or so behind most of us, but we are ALL a good decade and a half behind people like David Belle. Dont worry too much about how long it will take you to be perfect, because nobody is, just worry about doing the moves SAFELY ;)

Good luck!

Offline Aperion89

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:32 AM »
I started in mid- febuary and have been training an average of five days a week since then I have gotten the jist of most of all the basic techniques and some of the more difficult but still have plenty of room to improve.
"Please stand by"