Author Topic: Inov-8  (Read 7626 times)

Offline vector40

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Inov-8
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:34:22 AM »
Hi all,

Anyone tried Inov-8 for their shoes? I see that they've got at least one model that's suggested specifically for Parkour (http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&P=5050973008&L=26#5050973191). Any experience?

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Inov-8
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 06:32:15 AM »
looks like they have several PK shoes

aggreenvln

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:28:36 PM »
I've had a pair of F-Lite 320PK's for about a month now.

I love them! They look awesome, they fit my feet really well, they're breathable, flexible and they have decent support (Well, I'm not sure how it compares to other crazy hi-tech shoes, but it's tons better than I'm used to! [barefoot or skate shoes]). I also love how the grip continues over the arch for some extra security. My only complaint is that the grip is kind of funky at first... there are tons of little bumps all over the bottom that I think might hinder more than they help, but those wear away pretty quickly from general use. Great shoes! I'd definitely recommend them.

Offline Jumanji

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
Yeah, they can be purchased at revelsports.com

I personally love them, they fit great and have spectacular grip. 
The cushion is also top notch.  My favorite aspect is that they are just plain good shoes and you can wear them anytime. 

Zerosigni from Auburn Free Running is a big fan of them as well and is on his second pair after a 5 months of continual wear and tear. that is a good amount of time for freerunning 3 times a week.

So yeah, basically, I would check them out.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
My favorite aspect is that they are just plain good shoes and you can wear them anytime. 

That's good to hear. I've been reading recommendations for various good-for-PK shoes, most of them expensive, and wondering which of them are durable and comfortable for everyday movement, that could be worn around all the time and not wear out as rapidly as if they were being used for parkour.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline vector40

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »
How are they for running in?

And how's the grip?

aggreenvln

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:17 AM »
How are they for running in?
They work well enough for me. They're super comfortable overall, and the same applies for running in them :). I haven't used any really high-tech running shoes or anything so I'm not sure how they would compare, but for your every-day running purposes they're definitely functional.

And how's the grip?
Like I said, at first it was kind of weird, but as the dot things are wearing down the grip is getting better and better. I haven't had any real slipping problems yet, though I haven't trained in wet weather lately.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »
I stopped by their Booth at the Outdoor Retailer trade show in Salt Lake last weekend.

"Hey, I'm from Five Ten... You guys have a Parkour shoe right?"

"Yeah, so do you"

---uncomfortable pause---

"well, not one that's been released yet, but yeah, we are working on one" (chuckle) "so can I take a look at yours"

"no"

"well, I know you are promoting your non-marking sole as being the unique feature, and obviously we are already set on our sole... Stealth Rubber, I was just curious what yours looked like"

----blank stare----

Lol it was actually funny after that, we chatted about PK in general... and I would say it was a friendly conversation, if maybe a little uncomfortable... in the end I never did get to see the shoe, even when i told the guy if he brought the F-Lite PK to our booth I'd show him our Prototype...

oh well... I just wanted to see it in person.
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

aggreenvln

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:08:26 PM »
Hah, that's kind of odd... I can understand if it was just a prototype or something they might be hesitant to show you, but since they've already released it to market I don't see why they would refuse to let you see it! Adding that to my list of fickle marketing maneuvers... :P.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:38 PM »
nah, it's actually kind of normal... it's usually a 50/50 thing whether or not a company will show their products to competitors....

and it is usually based on how much of a competitor you are viewed as....

I took it as a huge compliment really :)

Offline vector40

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 03:20:51 AM »
Only if you release that shoe out sometime this century :P

Honestly, the idea of wearing a shoe day in and out that marked everything it touched was one of the main things that waved me away from one of the 5.10 shoes. I'd love to be able to walk on walls but I don't want to be known as the guy who leaves squeaky trails everywhere I go...

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 05:58:35 AM »
I could see a mock fighting that would burst out into a matrix style battle.  Shoes throwing everywhere, "honestly, who throws a shoe?"
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

aggreenvln

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
Shoes throwing everywhere, "honestly, who throws a shoe?"

Seems like a pretty hardcore sport to me... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvg019vhpQ

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »
Honestly, the idea of wearing a shoe day in and out that marked everything it touched was one of the main things that waved me away from one of the 5.10 shoes. I'd love to be able to walk on walls but I don't want to be known as the guy who leaves squeaky trails everywhere I go...

I hope you do realize that that is a bit of an exaggeration.

The shoe will be out this century... promise. :D

Offline vector40

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
Exaggeration, sure. But I hope you see my point for a shoe that's going to be worn daily, as opposed to something you put on for an activity.

I guess you don't wear cleats indoors either :-)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »
Shoes throwing everywhere, "honestly, who throws a shoe?"

Seems like a pretty hardcore sport to me... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwvg019vhpQ

Heh. Indeed. Besides, you never know... throwing a shoe could save your life, or the life of someone you love, someday:

The Nutcracker Ballet is based on the story "The Nutcracker and the King of Mice" written by E.T.A. Hoffman...

It is Christmas Eve at the Stahlbaum house -- A large and grand house with the most beautiful tree imaginable. The Stahlbaums are hosting their annual Christmas party, welcoming the arrival of their family and friends. The children, Clara and Fritz, are dancing and playing as they welcome their friends too.

The party grows festive with music and dance as godfather Drosselmeyer arrives. He is a skilled clock and toy maker and always full of surprises. He gives Clara a beautiful Nutcracker [in the shape of a soldier] that becomes the hit of the party.

As the evening grows late, the guests depart and the Stahlbaum family retires for the evening. Clara, worried about her beloved Nutcracker, sneaks back to the tree to check on him, falling asleep with him in her arms.

As the clock strikes midnight strange things begin to happen. Clara begins shrinking as her beautiful Christmas tree grows high above her. The toys around the tree come to life while the room fills with an army of mice, lead by the fierce Mouse King. As the Nutcracker awakens, he leads his army of toy soldiers into battle with the mice. The Mouse King corners the Nutcracker and battles him one-on-one. The Nutcracker seems to be no match for the Mouse King.

The Nutcracker and his army can go on no longer and are captured by the mice and their King. Clara makes a final daring charge throwing her slipper at the Mouse King, hitting him square on the head. The Mouse King drops to the floor and the mice run away, carrying off their leader's lifeless body.

The Nutcracker turns into a Prince and takes Clara on a journey to the Land of Snow, an enchanted forest wonderland where they are welcomed by dancing snowflakes... [and so on and so forth]

So see? You never know. Shoe throwing could change your life forever. ;)

Although a big shoe battle at a trade show would be awesome.

Jason, besides the Stealth Rubber, what features will distinguish the 5.10 shoe for parkour (or are you not allowed to talk about it at this time)?
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
Your such a ballet nerd Muse. Although I do love the Nutcracker (except the name...it connotes more painful things than just a ballet).

And as to these shoes, does anyone know when they'll be available in stores, as opposed to just online? I want to see some competition between Ariakes, these, and the 5.10 shoes that'll maybe drop their prices.

Offline vector40

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
I don't know if it's a question of "when"; I think the 320s have been around for a while, at least. If there's a place that stocks Inov-8 they might have 'em but I don't know who would. Kind of a niche brand, I think.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »

Jason, besides the Stealth Rubber, what features will distinguish the 5.10 shoe for parkour (or are you not allowed to talk about it at this time)?

I can talk about it... but I would rather not hijack this thread

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
Oh dear. oops. This thread is about Inov-8s... I'm so embarrassed!  :-[

So sorry everyone.

Jason I'll ask again in an appropriate thread. :)

Back to the topic at hand... Alex wears Inov-8s and loves them, as he mentioned. While I don't wear them, I do observe that when Alex trains he seems much more confident on wall climbs and navigating a variety of surfaces in general, than I do. That's about all I can say about those.

(God I am so mortified I did that. ADD ftl!)

*slinks away sheepishly*
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com