Author Topic: Drops as an efficient means of escape  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
Drops as an efficient means of escape
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »
Ok this isn't one of those threads why I try and defend why drops should be ok to do. What I am looking at is the efficiency of a decent size drop. Imagine you actually are in a real life or a death chase situation, and you come to a decent size drop, and if you can do it you will easily lose your chasers.

Now I hear a lot of: practicing big drops are bad because it can cause long term damage on your knees. I find that true. I understand that the best thing to do is to exercise your leg strength and to practice your landing and rolls off lower surfaces. But when it comes right down to it, could you still pull off a 15 ft drop after lots of training even though you have never done one before?

I think that if you were being chased and you were able to achieve a drop like that and continue your run fine, Then it would very well I think be one of the best ways to get away. Now I really doubt that doing that drop right then and there will cause more damage on your knees then the damage you will get from the guys chasing you. You have to remember though if you have never actually done drops before you don't really know how to judge them and what they feel like which could easily result in injury that would actually be a lot worse for you.

The point I am trying to get at is that I think it would be smart to learn how to do decent size drops, not to the point where you practice them over and over that would just be plain stupid. I think though if that you train for drops on lower stuff, and leg work outs etc... that it would be a good idea to test your ability's. Not by saying to yourself "i'm gonna see if I can do a huge drop that have never even come close to doing before." What I mean by test your ability's is to test slightly higher heights and move up. Don't keep doing them after you have seen how high you can go because thats where long term comes in, but if you just do it a few times to see what the problem is then you can go back to flat ground and try to fix that. And I really don't think doing a drop every every once in a while is really going to hurt you, because parkour in general is going to be causing more damage to your limbs then a drop every once in a while will.

I think when it comes down to it, if you are really training parkour to be prepared for a situation, drops would be one of those tools that could come in handy, big time.

Conclusion:
Big drops + training = long term damage
No big drops + training = loss of possible escape rout in a situation, or if you go for it possible injury
Low ground training + testing of big drops = Possible easy get away

So go ahead and critique me, its more of an idea or theory, I really don't know much about long term affects on the body. It is just from what I have heard.

Edit: I changed the title from "Drops are efficient" - M2
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:00:26 AM by M2. »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: Drops are efficient
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:42:58 PM »
I was actually thinking this exact same thing, however I don't think anybody really needs to practice parkour because really even if you are being chased you will probably not climb up on a roof.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »
You know actually I have had dreams like that where I was being chased starting in my own backyard and hell ya, I was jumping as many fences as possible and gettin on people's roofs and stuff to ovoid the guys, yep I would for sure do it in real life why not.
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
Ya but really drops and leaps are efficient, ask Jason Bourne.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
Back on topic I think you make a very reasonable argument.

Repetitive practice of big drops is unecessary, but never having done one may be inadequate.

Of course you need to build up to this, I personally think 15' is a bit hig, even for "test purposes" ... I don't think most people would do 11 feet if they were chasing you, and if they would, then you've really pissed someone off and need to consider your social skills as much as your PK skills.

After all, the best evasive method is usually talking yourself out of something. - not to take this off topic, but WHY would someone be chasing you? What would it be worth to them to catch you? I think the answers may set a reasonable height limit for practical purposes.

I would also say that climbing could be a safer and more effective way of losing people ... someone could think they could take large drop and they just might - but someone untrained would have very little chance of climbing as fast as someone who has trained.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:18:02 AM by M2. »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Drops as an efficient means of escape
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
So do you guys not drop much at all when you are doing parkour?  I was under the impression that most people did, but I've only seen it in videos. ???

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:43:21 AM »
I agree with what your saying, you definitely need to know your limits. Trying a few dig drops is a good thing, drilling them...Not so much...

What I tend to do is do training for most of the week, and then go on a jam/run/whatever at the end where me and friends just play around and test ourselves. Among other things, I do a few big drops (no more then three...if that).

Matt
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »
Well, why would you ever be chased? There are more reasons than just being chased, I just am trying to put it out there for the guys who are not only training parkour for fun but as a way to prepare themselves for a situation. I mean even getting to someone who has been injured, doing a drop can be a quick way to get to them, rather then taking that long stair case. Yeah I see no reason for drops if you are just doing them for drops, but I was looking at a emergency situation. Yeah I was over the top a bit with 15 ft, but even then if some one I knew was some how in danger or hurt, or even my self in danger depending on how extreme the situation is I would deffinetly risk taking a drop like that.

Yeah climbing would be much more effective because someone could take a 10 foot drop with no training before they could make a 10 foot wall run. But I guess I'm just looking at other sources, what if you were in a spot where you couldn't climb, but you could drop because you are already at the top of a hill with ledges or a building or what ever.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
definitely. and I hope you 'don't think I'm comingdown on you, again, I agree with you for the most part and think you made a good point.

As for the emergency situation, the stairs would be 99.999% safer than the drop, what good are you if you sprain your ankle trying to get to someone who needs help? Personally I see more point in doing Parkour for fun than I do for the slim chance that human powered physical movement will be the best way to help someone, especially in the world we (those of us with internet access) live in!!

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:00:17 PM »
even if you are rook running there is almost always a better way to get down than dropping.

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »
Personally I see more point in doing Parkour for fun than I do for the slim chance that human powered physical movement will be the best way to help someone

Yes I am doing it mostly for fun also. I just wanted to see if I had a good point with drops being efficient since so many people are comparing certain parkour moves to a certain situation. Or maybe thats just parkour.net, maybe I should post this same topic there and see what kind of responses I get...

Offline k7sw

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
Well.. if five guys with bats and bits of pipe ask you very kindly for your wallet... and you decide to run (Which is probably a bad idea) then you have a situation where you may not be able to talk your way out of it.. and even after giving them your wallet they'll probably beat the shit out of you.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »
I think the reason you hear a lot of people say "don't do drops, it will do damage to your knees" is more about conditioning than not doing drops at all.

The reason you hear it so often is because it is often people who are newer to parkour who go out their first few days weeks or even months and start videotaping themselves dropping from heights of 6 feet and above.  Then they get on forums like these and want to know what we think.

There's nothing wrong with that, they didn't know.  But starting out with drops like that CAN do serious damage to joints.  So when we say "don't do drops" I think the majority of people are really saying "don't do drops before months even years of conditioning and joint strengthening."

The problem is not the drops.  Drops can be efficient.  The problem actually lies in people's lack of conditioning before trying said drops...which can only lead to trouble.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »
not to take this off topic, but WHY would someone be chasing you? What would it be worth to them to catch you?

Let's say, to reverse this, that we're chasing them - as in, someone just stole the briefcase with my client's data, and I need it back. They do a drop. They're better at parkour than I am, so that's a good decision for them.

And, in that moment where they're still facing the wall, then turning around to continue running, I look down on them.

And smile.

And then I leap down, using them to break my fall.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 01:49:03 AM »
Yeah sure, what do you think I am a spring board! :(

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • It's a bird, a plane, Oh s*** call an ambulance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
A drop that big is probaly not even needed.
Someone who doesnt practice parkour would think twice before doing an 8 foot drop.
Not to mention that they would most likely hang and drop, that would put a huge gap between you and your chaser.   
So yea big drops a really effective.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »
Not to mention that they would most likely hang and drop, that would put a huge gap between you and your chaser.   

I'm fairly sure I just addressed that :P

Your pursuer wouldn't need to hang and drop, because you've just provided them with a really nifty landing pad ;)
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Overdrive

• Patas
  • Wilmington, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »
I don't think anyone who is in this forum should do a drop of 15'. I bet that David Belle even draws a line at 10', if it's bigger than that, he finds another way down. So if you're just starting out (like I am) draw the line at 6', any bigger than that? find another way down!
Overdrive: 2. extra hard level of activity: a particularly intense and productive mode of activity, usually possible only for short periods

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
I don't think anyone who is in this forum should do a drop of 15'. I bet that David Belle even draws a line at 10', if it's bigger than that, he finds another way down. So if you're just starting out (like I am) draw the line at 6', any bigger than that? find another way down!

I agree to avoid big drops...and if you're just starting, 6' is still too high.  But I seriously doubt that David Belle draws the line at 10'  ;D  I mean, have you seen the same videos I've found on youtube?  The guys like two stories higher than the other level and drops! It's crzzzzzzy!  But he's had what, 18 years to condition!  :D  It must be nice having joints of steel...
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline k7sw

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »
srsly... 10'??? i did that when i was in 6th grade with no conditioning and just stumbled into a natural roll... Unless i'm way off in judging my distances... i'm almost 6' and i've jumped off things that are over twice my height. I think your just a bunch of sissies.