Author Topic: Roll Help  (Read 6785 times)

Roll Help
« on: January 07, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »
OK, so todaywas my first time practicing rolls and monkey vaults, Monkey vaults were really easy. But i was having problems with the rolls(like all of the newbies :() I don't think i am rolling dianglely across my back like this "/", i drop down my right shoulder and i think I'm just doing a regular front roll even tho I'm dropping my right shoulder, is it because I'm running forward or because I'm just a real newbie??
I was trying jumping from a picnic table and i still think I'm doing a front roll, but i still drop down my right shoulder, when i land should i be turned to my left (so i can use my right shoulder)?? I'm not sure so i hope some one can help me. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:27:42 PM by Demon »

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
Re: I need a little help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »
Sometimes it helps if you start on the ground just rolling, try crouching on the ground as if you jsut landed out of a jump and put your arm on the ground like it would if you were going to roll. Try rolling form this position so you knwo the setup is right, like you said you should be rolling more diagonally than jsut straight over your head, but you shouldn't be landing sideways. When you land from a jump it's good to be facing forward but to have one foot in front of the other, this will help you get that diagonal setup. Try getting a picture or video of yourself so that you or someone here can see what it is exactly you are doing, or just get a friend to watch. Hope this helps. :)

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Help
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
ive also been having a hard time with rolls for some reson i keep hitting the top of my right shoulder and somethings smaking the side of my head on the ground which hurts like a b>#*h does any one have any advice on how i can improve and or change it cause im ganna end up with brain damage soon :o
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:46:00 AM »
Here is how I train my gymnastics students to do a forward bail out roll(basically a pk roll). I have them sit down with their dominant foot forward and their back knee on the ground then I have them form a triangle with their hands and put the triangle point slightly sideway on the other inside of the upright knee. Then I have them practice absorbing with their arms as the roll forward onto their should and across their back to the hip. untill the can stand up with their back leg under neath them. You back hand should also slap the ground as you come up this will dissipate some of the pressure on your hip. 

Thats how you should start learning this skill, find a surface that will give just a little bit but not so much you can fell the rough spots in your roll is area in our gym were there just a thin layer of carpet on top of concrete I love to train my rolls there. You can also just rap a shirt around your waist to take a little of the pressure of untill your ready.

So then you start kneeling try to do it slow so you can really fell how to roll across the soft tissue and avoid the bones. Then you can do it from stand, then from small drop, then from a run and finally from running drop. Train it religiously ever day this technique has regressed on me more often then any other, you have to commit to it you have include in ever parkour session and do it supplementally as well. For some people it come easy for other people you just have to keep practicing and practicing I came in to pk knowing gymnastics bail outs and aikido rolls and was able to roll right away but not well started tinkering with my techinique ended hurting myself once and gave up on it for awhile. For the last two months I have been following the perscription above religiously today I went out and rolled evertime I needed and lots of extra times with no pain. Its only the second time I have been able to do that its well worth the hard work. Next I need to master back and side rolls luckily those are a bit easier once you have the forward roll.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 12:44:49 PM »
David Belle's Rolls: http://pkcali.com/download.php?view.8

I think it's great that everyone uses that Belle video as I did because after all he is the best. (at least in my opinion). Great roll analysis, watch and observe. ooooooooooooooooo ;D
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »
well, here is exactly what i do when i roll, and after a lot of drops and practice i have my rolls down pretty well. I'm not saying their perfect (though you cant really ever perfect a vault)  but there not bad.

FYI: i roll over my right shoulder.

when landing, i have my legs pretty straight, slightly bent, but pretty straight. i look at the ground the whole time i am in the air and when vaulting before the drop. then, when my feet touch the ground, i bend them and lean forward and i also some what support my weight with my left hand. As i am leaning forward and my legs are bent to about 40 degree angle, i push with my legs (almost jumping diagonally) forward and tuck my head in and shoot my right hand under me towards my left hip (same angle i am going to be rolling.) The same time i am pushing with my legs and my left hand is still on the ground (to help brace myself) and my head is tucked in, i tuck my right shoulder in. Now, when i do the rolling part, i use my left hand when my right shoulder hits the ground to help take some of the impact off my right shoulder. Then, i lift my left hand and tuck it in against my chest while i am rolling. The push from your legs and the landing from the drop gives me enough momentum for the rest of the roll. When i am rolling i am almost in a cannon ball (like when you jump into a pool and make a big splash) position. Then when my right foot touches the ground i have enough momentum to push up with my feet and keep running. (sometimes i have too much momentum and i almost jump when i come out of my roll lol)

I used to have the same troubles with rolls, ninja. To prevent my head from hitting, i really tuck it in and my left hand that helps brace myself also helps my head from hitting the ground.

to roll straighter, try to really shoot your right arm under and across you so it is by your left hip, so you are pointing in the exact opposite direction than the direction you are rolling.

I don't do this exactly everytime, but, in my mind, this is how to do a perfect roll. and from watching David belles roll analysis (dang it, Asa beat me to it  :)) it seems like that is what he is doing.   i hope this helps. ;)

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »
i push with my legs (almost jumping diagonally)

I noticed that David belle does the same thing his feet sorta spring up and off the ground, although he is not really jumping per se. I also noticed that i didn't do that. I sorta just fell into the roll which resulted in me hitting my shoulder and hip.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:14:40 PM »
ya exactly, i don't really jump with my legs, i just use them as springs. ;) I have been waiting for somebody to reply my last post and find out what they think, and I am glad somebody has finally read, commented on it. thanks.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »
I find that somtimes i dont even need to "jump" i just sort of  "fall" into my roll and momentum does the rest. anyone else do this?

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 08:26:23 PM »
ya i do that most of the time off of the bigger size drops, but sometimes when i try to do that my momenutm seems to be going in a different way and i totally eat it on the ground.

Steez

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
*i think* that there should be no jumping involved.  you should simply fall into the roll, sometimes, i will lean really far forward, so as to 'trip' myself into rolling.  now if i could stop hitting my pelvis....

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
i said almost jumping, i couldn't really think of any other way to describe it...oh, and i was just wonderin if you had smitten me for saying jumping? i am not mad and i don't really care, but recently i have not said anything worth a smite, and all the sudden my karma fell 2 in one day. Again, i am just curious, don't take this as me trying to start something, i am just wondering.  ;)

Steez

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »
if you mean me..i didn't smite you.  :)

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but can someone check out my rolls? The pain is in my left leg right beneath my ass, like a pinch. Do I just need to lose weight and not be a fatass, or is there something wrong with my technique? Thanks in advance!

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3G236A2VGXZR902U2TE24MMQ51

I'm the one in the red pants, if you couldn't guess.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »
It used to happen to me. When i came around my legs where still tucked and i ended up sitting on them but it doesn't look like your doing that or even coming close so i don't know. Nice vault either way.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
I could be that you don't stretch that area enough, it's just a guess, but if so a good stretch for that area is the"beauty pose".  Basically you sit down with both legs strait out in front of you, then you bring your right leg over your left leg and pull it close to your body, if you do this right you should feel a stretch in you glute area.  Of course you might already know all of this, but I hope this helped some ;).
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 06:49:16 PM »
Thanks, I'll try stretching
PK4LIFE!

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »
if that dont work, it could be that you just got somethin weird going on with you. maybe try switching roll sides, i did that and now i almost like my left shoulder more than my right after just a few hours of training. ;)