Author Topic: Forget the bookbag  (Read 6076 times)

Offline ddr_hero

• Guenons
  • HERF DERF
    • View Profile
Forget the bookbag
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
git yerself one ov deez!
http://cheaperthandirt.com/VEST102-681-1572.html

But seriously, i bought one, it has a pocket on the shoulder that's perfect for a cellphone, some chest ockets that fit a zune, some breast pockets that'll fit some bandaids or some nuskin, and even a nice bewb pocket that fita a large set of keys.

the interior pockets for armor plates are perfect for wallets, and NOTHING IS EVER CRUSHED! and i do mean nothing. it's like the designed it so you could roll and everything would survive. now if you could only put a D3o slab in the back armour pocket.

my only gripe is the buttons could be a little cheap. but if you have a chizle and punch set, you should be fine.
I SURE CAN'T WAIT TO POST ON THE INTERNETS!

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
Re: Forget the bookbag
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
I'm wondering if that's similar to that thing that Forrest wears in Jump Westminster.  You know, there's that one scene where he's wearing black and it looks kind of like some sort of harness he has on, with some like metal buckles or something on it.

I was wondering what that was, but it looks kind of similar to this.  I had just assumed it was a weird fashion shirt  ;D
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 05:14:54 AM »
30 dollars!?!?

It will be mine.

Offline Casper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:37:51 PM »
Not to rain on any parades...
but i'm not sure if jumping around in a Tactical Vest would give the best image to any passing law enforcement...
Stairs are for Squares.

You can hide, but you can't run!

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Lol, well I've never really thought of this for parkour.  I actually have one of these I use for airsoft quite frequently.  I guess it could work, but even with the venting it tends to make you sweat immensely.  It is also kind of restrictive and fairly bulky, but I suppose you could cut it down a bit by taking a few of the mag pouches off (and the holster).  It really isn't a bad idea, but I just think it would be a pain to wear around all day (not to mention the police). 

This vest is great for airsofting, but you have to be pretty intense to use it for parkour  ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
I don't get it, what's wrong with pockets? I mean, yes, I know that having a big cellphone in your pocket restricts movement to a point, but not incredibly. I figure, if you're ever out in a practical situation where you need to run away from somebody trying to mug you, then you're gonna have the stuff in your pocket anyway, better get used to it.

That being said, though, this is pretty damn cool, aside from the fact that you'd get the cops on you in five minutes. The only issue I could see is that, yeah, maybe stuff you put in the pockets won't get crushed, but if you put, say, a big knife (or ruler, or icecicle, or large skeleton key, it doesn't matter what)(Not to say I'm carrying around big knives on a regular basis, but it happens) in one of those big long pockets, wouldn't it kinda jab into your ribs when you rolled? I'd feel like a ninja if I wore one, I'd have to fill it with smoke bombs and stuff....

Offline ddr_hero

• Guenons
  • HERF DERF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
i've been using this quite a few times, and i can answer a few concerns

no, it's not hot at all, so long as you don't wear a sweater under it. the particular model i listed is pockets sewn on tough mesh. you surely won't have any heat problems with it. i personally can't wear it without a shirt though.

the cop, atleast around here don't pay much mind it you. so long as you don't wear a gun on it.

and it's a tactical vest. it's desgined so NOTHING pokes you in the chest, legs or crotch.

like i said, the only bad thing is the buttons on it tend to break out. but a button repair kit is about $1.50.
I SURE CAN'T WAIT TO POST ON THE INTERNETS!

Offline willgrind747

• Patas
  • Calm like a Bomb
    • View Profile
    • OHIO Parkour
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »
I just put my keys/phone/mp3/wallet in one of those drawstring bags, and just stick it in a corner where i am training, and pick it up when i leave.
""No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »
but i'm not sure if jumping around in a Tactical Vest would give the best image to any passing law enforcement...

Yeah, you can count me out on THAT one lol. People are so brainwashed by the media concerning Muslims and Islam, I could just see it now..

They would be trying to haul me off to GITMO or Guantanamo before I even got the buckles closed on that thing. May Allah protect me from THAT, ameen!

Offline Overdrive

• Patas
  • Wilmington, OH
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »
I think it's good that people think of rolling when choosing what accessory to use to carry their gear, but what most people seem to overlook is under-rails, if you have this bulky vest on, it will limit the size of the space you can fit through, also, if it causes you to sweat so much, it's probably not a good idea unless you have an insane amount of water with you to keep you hydrated, overall, I wouldn't get it myself, I wear cargo pants and keep everything on my right side so nothing hits the ground when I roll, it works just fine, and I have a rather bulky cell phone that I'm required by parental law to take with me, which never gets in the way, as a matter of fact, after a while I don't even notice it.

Interesting idea though
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 06:13:19 PM by Clout™ »
Overdrive: 2. extra hard level of activity: a particularly intense and productive mode of activity, usually possible only for short periods

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
Don't mean to hijack but "required by parental law to carry"?

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • It's a bird, a plane, Oh s*** call an ambulance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »
Another easy one.
His/Her parents make them carry a phone.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »

Depends on your occupation.

I could just point at a nearby building and say "I'm with security* . . . getting ready to evaluate how secure their walls are."

*Just not with that building's security. Fnord.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
Fnord!? Have you been reading books by Robert Anton Wilson? I actually met that guy at a rave in a huge warehouse in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, back in the old days before I became a muslim.. That was like around the mid to late 90's.

Someone (the rave promoters) apparently gathered together enough illicit drug money to have him flown in for a talk during the high point of the rave, while all these young people were there gathered around, addled out of their brains on psychotropic drugs. He hinted around to us that he was a very high level Freemason. Right when he was finished with his mindcontrol session, the cops came in and closed the whole thing down, while Mr. Robert Anton Wilson was whisked away to safety, and the ravers all scattered like cockroaches when the lights come on.

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:06:29 PM »
That looks almost exactly like a paintball vest. It even has 2 pod holders!!! Plus the 3 small pockets on the upper left(if you are wearing it) could hold 10 round pods. Cool!!

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
Fnord!? Have you been reading books by Robert Anton Wilson? I actually met that guy at a rave in a huge warehouse in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, back in the old days before I became a muslim.. That was like around the mid to late 90's.

History suggests the term predates him, then. On the other hand, when were the books you're thinking of written?
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
I didn't read alot of his books, just a couple.. I think the Illuminati Trilogy and another book or two I can't remember the titles of.. It's been like 10 years since I read them. As for dates of publishing, I couldn't tell you without doing research first. My friend Panagiota Spyrakos introduced me to both the term "fnord" and to the books of Mr. Wilson.

Offline neo0o0o

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 02:33:56 PM »
not to be off topic but i am glad to find another zune user  ;D

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 05:49:30 PM »
LOL

Offline beefptty

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
screw all backpack opinions they just get in the way (my opinion)