Author Topic: k-swiss ariake  (Read 52526 times)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: k-swiss ariake
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
I just have to post again.  These shoes are awesome apart from the having to take it slightly slower with the lacing.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »
I'll probably buy a pair soon especially after trying a pair on. They're a 400% upgrade from my Nike basketball shoes that I have been wearing for the past 2 years. :)

I kinda like the brown ones even though most people think they're ugly, lol. Black ones look really nice but I'll probably order a pair before then.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Kasper

• Guenons
  • "I'd Hit That!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »
they do look really nice, but are they better then 5-10's?
(insert witty comment)

aggreenvln

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 06:29:31 AM »
they do look really nice, but are they better then 5-10's?

Five-Ten doesn't really have a parkour-specific shoe yet, so that's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. The main thing Five-Ten has going over K-Swiss at the moment is the quality of rubber that Five-Ten uses. They do, however, have a couple of shoes in the works that will be tailored for parkour/freerunning, so keep an eye out for those. I'm sure if you ask Jason, he'll have much more information on the subject, but for now, check out this thread. It has a lot of info on the current Five-Ten line as well as upcoming shoes.

Overall, from what I've heard K-Swiss has done a phenomenal job with this shoe, and as future generations of the shoe are released I'm sure it will only get better! Looking forward to trying a pair out for myself some day...

Offline Brian Orosco

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »
Whether or not we were sponsored by K-swiss, I wouldn't allow myself to represent a company that was making a sub-par product.

Amen brother! I can't say I share your same passion for the Ariake, but I totally echo your point. I feel the same way about 5.10. I'm not getting paid to say/post anything that I do. It's all comin straight from my personal opinion.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007, 07:14:39 PM »
Are we still going to get an Ariake review?

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »
I've been meaning to do a shoe write up.  I'll go through some of my favorite shoes and tell you the good and bad. 10 is the highest.

K Swiss Ariake

http://www.kswiss.com/cgi-bin/kswiss/store/product_detail.html?id=ibxh4SUw&mv_arg=x&pid=01552:178

I've been wearing these for about 3 weeks now and the more you wear them the better they are becoming.  Grip is insane, best I've ever seen.  Wall runs are a lot easier.  At first the leather wasn't flexible, but when your break them in they are just find for flexing.  They get scuffed up, but the shoe looks solid and doesn't seem like it's going to break.  They run a little big, so get a 1/2 size smaller and your fine.

Grip:                10
Padding:           8
Flexability:        8.5
Durability:         8.5
Cost:               100

Merrell Chameleon

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Product.aspx?AltNavID=MAF-G-HIK&PID=9779&GST=M

All around awesome shoe.  Grip rocks, really nice tread and fits like a glove.  Down side is they don't breath very well, but I've never really experience heat issues with shoes.  The old version use to be heavy, but the newer on is lighter.  The great thing is that the tread wraps around the side which i love for Cats and Climb Ups.

Grip:                8.5
Padding:           8.5
Durability:         9

Five Ten Savant

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/16761815.html

Haven't worn it but it looks like a SOLID shoe.  Meet a lot of people with them and I've only heard great things.  Famous stealth rubber grip, looks flexible, dunno about the padding. 

NoSole's take on the action:
If you think the Ariake's grip is 10, I dare you to try the Savant. Speaking from an objective standpoint, I think the Ariake has great grip relative to nearly all running shoes. But Savants still have more grip. It's tough to beat the rubber from a company whose soul mission is to create grip for climbers. And wait until the 5.10 Freerunner comes out. I got to try them last week and it's scary how sticky the soles are! Nothing else even comes close.

Stability wise, I think the Ariake and Savant are about the same. Padding, I can't really say how they (the Ariakes) stack up, wasn't able (or willing) to do any threshold testing. I just wanted to save my feet. Fit, I wasn't terribly impressed. I know there were issues with proper sizing (being that they fit larger than normal) and I feel like the leather would stretch over time allowing some floating room.

Shoe: 5.10 SavantGrip: 9 - The stickiest rubber on the face of the planet! Not a 10 because the Freerunner's rubber is even stickier!
Fit: 10 - Perfect fit! Laces to the toes eliminate any floating and keep 'em snug.
Comfort: 9 - Great support and stability! Rolled ankles are no longer on the radar
Weight: 7 - Very light, but not the lightest I've worn.
Durability: 10 - They can take a serious beating! Just ask st0ne.
Cushioning: 9 - Harder cushioning makes big drops very bareable! Much better than soft cushioning that can compress too much and leave you with bruised feet.
Overall: 9 - Waiting for the new "Freerunner"
Explain: OK, so the Savants are easily the most advanced shoe I have ever worn for PK. I wish I still had content from the old SFPK forum cuz I already went through and wrote up a huge review on my first impression of the Guide Tennie, which is similar. But super stoked for the Freerunner. I probly would have given the Savant 10's across the board if I didn't know about the makings of a better shoe  Wink

Cost: 92

New Balance 777
Pic of Asa's Shoe

My Favorite all around shoe.  I've had it for a semester and have done tons of training with them, and they still look brand new.  But alas it's only a Prototype Parkour shoe and not for sale yet. =)

Grip:                9
Padding:           7.5
Flexability:        9
Durability:         9.5
Cost:               N/A

ALWAYS try on the shoe before you buy it.  Jump around.

Things to keep in mind, 
Hows the Grip?
Make sure they have good padding in the ball of the foot (wear your suppose to land with your foot)
Make sure they don't have any Hard plastic on the bottom of the shoe.  Some shoes have plastic in the arch.
Personally i like it when the tread comes up and wraps around the side of the shoe.
Make sure they can breath and are flexible.

tat'z just my 2 cents.

Theres a thread.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
Ya, I read through that. I just thought that the Tribe guys were gonna do a shoe review for the front page during the national jam. If they decided not to, that's cool, but I was just curious if there was one still in the works.

Offline traceurleonidas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
I've been meaning to do a shoe write up.  I'll go through some of my favorite shoes and tell you the good and bad. 10 is the highest.

K Swiss Ariake

http://www.kswiss.com/cgi-bin/kswiss/store/product_detail.html?id=ibxh4SUw&mv_arg=x&pid=01552:178

I've been wearing these for about 3 weeks now and the more you wear them the better they are becoming.  Grip is insane, best I've ever seen.  Wall runs are a lot easier.  At first the leather wasn't flexible, but when your break them in they are just find for flexing.  They get scuffed up, but the shoe looks solid and doesn't seem like it's going to break.  They run a little big, so get a 1/2 size smaller and your fine.

Grip:                10
Padding:           8
Durability:         8.5

Theres a thread.

I love the review, but don't totaly agree with it (no offense). I have been wearing Ariake's for quite some time now and love um.

Here is my 1-10

Grip:                10- (same) Incredible Grip, like having gecko feet or something :P.
Padding:           6- The insoles compress pretty fast, I love the mesh and lime green, so I got gel inserts to go under the original insoles.
Flexability:        9 -These things are stiff at first, but in about 2 days they are perfect.
Durability:         8.5 -Tough leather, need i say more?
Cost:               $100

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
leonidas (cool name BTW), I have to disagree with you on the padding rating. If a shoe has too much padding, it takes away from the traceur having to focus on technique of landing. I believe (in my own opinion, I LOVE to land and do it right every time) the ariakes have just the right amount to keep your technique in check, but also allows enough comfortability to perform other movements (wall pop/tap/climbs) just as well.

but yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you feel it isn't padded enough, then a gel insert would most certainly fix that. JUST BE CAREFUL ON YOUR LANDINGS!

edit: Good article on dangers of over-cushioning.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
If you look on the K-Swiss website, they have now added an interview with Sebastian Foucan.
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline Talib Shively

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »
I just got these shoes a few days ago, and I love them.  They are possibly the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.  Sadly, the only bad thing I have to say is the white gets dirty fast.  But it's leather, so a little polish and cleaning, and it's as good as new.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
  Sadly, the only bad thing I have to say is the white gets dirty fast. 

I can't wait for the black ones  ;D
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2007, 05:19:45 PM »
I can't wait for some white and red ones.  However I can wait for some ugly Brazilian colors

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »

Same here. I plan on buying a pair of the gold/black ones when they come out in a couple weeks.

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
Now are these going to be available in stores, or online order only?
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline ghostinthebox

• Patas
  • A storm is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »

i know.  why the hell didn't they put that style into production first?!  lol, but yeah, i think those are the best looking of the bunch so far.
think like a child, yet move with purpose.

Offline aznmarkofdafiji

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »
 ;D  just ordered a pair of these shoes right before reading this article

wish i knew about the 1/2 size difference...  :-\  oh well, i've been running in shoes 1/2 size larger than my feet anyways ^^

but on another note

if you order shoes from stores on sites like fatwallet you can get 13% cashback like I'll be getting ;D

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
edit: Good article on dangers of over-cushioning.

This is a little off topic, but don't put much faith in that article. I don't claim to be a running guru, but I did run cross country and track about 11 months a year for four years in high school and that article just seems like the author just sorta woke up one day and sat down at his desk and started typing.

His logic just doesn't always make sense. Here are some examples:

If all this high-tech stuff is supposed to be preventing running injuries by shielding us from impact, why is it that two out of every three runners are sidelined every year because of a running injury?

Believe it or not, there are plenty of accepted reasons for injury out there that can be caused by things other than shoes. For instance, many people do not know how to slowly build up their mileage. If you say to yourself "Wow, I have a race in a month and haven't been training so I better start doing lots of mileage to make up for it," you WILL most likely get injured. If you have piss poor running form and put too much stress on your joints, you WILL most likely get injured. No shoe (or lack there of) is going to make up for poor form and foolish running goals.

Why is it that since the great jogging boom of the mid-seventies, there has been no decrease in the incidence (some authors say there has been an increase) of running injures in spite of yearly 'improvements' in running-shoe technology?

Instead of blaming shoes again, might it be because the percentage of runners who now run competitively (and thus more seriously) has also gone up?

In 1989, Dr. B. Marti published a paper which still makes the throats of footwear executives go dry.  He studied 5,038 runners who participated in a 16km race and had them fill out an extensive questionnaire about their running in the year preceding the race.  Here's what he found: The incidence of injuries in runners using shoes costing more than $95 was more that twice as great as in runners using shoes costing less than $40. (Note that this result includes correction for other influencing factors such as training mileage and history of previous injury.)

At the end he says that the Doctor included correction for "other influencing factors" but we do not know how exactly he did this. That study has little to no value until you can find out how he made the corrections because it makes complete sense that the people who spent more money on shoes would have more injuries than those who spent less. Serious runners are more likely to be spending more money shoes, and thusly also more likely to incur serious running injuries. It doesn't matter what shoes your wear (or don't wear), the repetition of foot on pavement is going to cause wear and tear.

In summary, almost all this guy does is state correlations. Unfortunately for him, correlations prove absolutely nothing. In a correlation you can't tell if A is acting on B, B is acting on A, or if there is another variable that is unaccounted for. The author of this article seems to just ignore this fact. Now that said, I think there might be something to what he's getting at, I just think that he's blowing it way out of proportion.

(Sorry for the rant, but I've read seen this article elsewhere and think its stupid lol.)

Offline Jamie Crosby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
i absolutely love these shoes. The only bad thing that i ran into is the first day i put them on they were so stiff, i got some nasty blisters on the back of my heels.