Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 68558 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: btay - tastes like parkour
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
Jellyfish on the beach, and offshore. Portuguese Men-of-War. We tried to play some paddleball, carefully waded around. It severely cut short our play time.  Pretty much used up all my free time, too.

Got only an hour or so sleep. Made it hard to stay awake during technical meeting. I made some really stupid suggestions. Blargh.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »
WOD: I had to do easy version. I also did not have a watch. I took a clock off the wall for handstands. Didn't think of that earlier... I'll have to remember it.

L-seat: Did in my chair [took advantage of the back] - 5 times to get 2 min.
Planche: [Did frog/ knees on elbows] - 10 times to get 2 min.
Front lever: [Tucked - used knees too] - 6 times to get 2 min.
Handstand: [Heels touching wall] - 9 times to get 2 min. Counted the times when I never really made it to HS position/ less than 1 sec stand time.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »
PK: 2 hand vaults over tables, turn vaults, short runs through 'jungle'. 9' wall with railing on top - sorta flopped/ rolled over the rail tho. Hit my knee one time up. Rock hopping/ exploring. Bgvl thorns worse than kiawe. Practiced for jump over fish ponds - last time I didn't land it well. Worked on leap distance [8-9 feet], and some shorter precisions onto uneven surfaces [from 3-4 feet]. Tried punching a banana tree. They're too soft to rely on - would probably break if you tried to climb one. Plus, they ooze...

Some precisions. Tried to go from a precision to grab 2 roots of [weird] tree. It was silly, and arms were too tired from WOD earlier.

Long jumped into the pool. Tread 1 min, 4 x 15 exploding squats. Tried a capoeira bridge, but could only hold it 3 sec. Swam/ played around a few minutes.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »
 :( WOD: Run 5k hilly for time. Was it 32:30? I just estimated distance, using a piece of paper and Google Maps - took dirt paths to the stop sign at Kanani and back. It was hot, sunny, sandy, rocky, and I'd just eaten lunch 1/2 hour before. Those are my excuses.

I can't believe that time. Maybe it was more like 4 miles? It did not feel good.

Saturday: Thai food and late night beach walk.
Sunday: Walk around the mall watching the bank account hemorrhage. Watched a bunch of kids at the play area. They were routinely making drops from 1/2 to body height. Climbing, balancing, jumping... but there was a 48" height limit, so I couldn't join in.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »
Assorted small very lame barefoot PK. Played around in hala trees for a long time - serrated leaves, with thorns on the edges - like climbing amongst softly swinging saw blades. I branch broke on me, but I had weight on 2 other ariel roots. Got a new set of cuts and welts to add to my collection. Joy!

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »
WOD: Only did 50m sprint x3, 10 pullups, 10 burpees... decided to scrub it. Feeling unnaturally weak.
Same problem with minor PK earlier in day - super fatigued. Jumped a 6' gap, at 6' height, but my rail vaults were stinky.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »
Weds WOD: (400m, 1:30 rest, 15 tuck jumps, 1:30 rest, 10 pullups, 1:30 rest) x3. Yeah, in theory. Run around outer perimeter is about 1/3 mile. Tuck jumps = bad form, so I did 10 jump squats +5 tjs, and I don't remember what I did 3rd set. Pullups - holy atrophy, Batman... 5/3/2, 5/3/2, 4/2/2/2... the whole mess took 23 minutes + ?? sec. And I did it in dress clothes/shoes.

Thu: Ran Ace Auto -> KC -> Ace -> ASB -> Ace. Did 5 pullups in a tree, 5 on a circular truss system. At KC got "do parkour, be smut" [past tense very imperfect of 'to smite']. Tiny bit at Lowes parking lot. Walked 3.5 miles or so with G & D@. Did a little balance work on curbs and some downed poles.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
AM break: hit the hala trees... up and through the 'nest' in the middle, partway down, then circled around from arial root to root. A little rock hopping. Monkey ups, vaults.

Noon: PK run to MWW and back. Slowest part is the first hedge/ wall/ construction fence, both coming and going.

Biked to bus stop, took bus to Kahului, biked to KC. I like not biking the 10 miles...

5 pm: PK run from KC to McD and back. Highlight for me was tree work - dropping from one branch to another. I scraped L wrist a tiny bit.

7 pm: 3.5 mile walk at KC. I did about half of it jogging on curbs. Did a couple low precisions. Wasn't supposed to. Got smut. [Feet slipped on plants, fall down go boom. Plant stains on pants].

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
Saturday: random PK at break. Had a slip just like Friday, doing a precision to a very low wall.
WOD: It was something horrible. I don't even remember, now. I did like 1 rep, and quit.

Sunday: Went to MACC to see if there was a show. No. So I did a few vaults, and G told me to play in the banyan tree for a few minutes.

Monday: WOD: L-sit [on chair] = 6 tries to get 2 min. Planche [Frog] = 11 tries, and that doesn't even count the times when I had to touch my foot down as I started the move. Front lever [Tuck] = 60 sec first try... so I must be doing something wrong. HS [heels on wall] = 30 sec 1st try.

Went for pk run in slippahs... swinging road barriers almost got me - landed hard one time. Some really bad underbars. Tried wall climb, but slippahs didn't cut it. Vaults. Barefoot did an 8' wall, and cut my L big toe going up the outside of stairwell at ML-Makai. Tried to barefoot run on beach - nope. Walked home, cut through Kulanihakoi gulch... muck, and nasty kiawe - went right through my slippers.

G saw the L wrist scrape... "You need to take up a different sport. You're ALWAYS getting hurt. Is it for attention, or are you TRYING to hurt yourself?"

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »
Sat on the side of the pool 15 minutes, kicking my feet, trying to clean out cuts and puncture wounds. I still have thorn fragments in my feet.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »
Jog 5 min warmup [just shy of 1/2 mile]

WOD:
1/4 mile: 1:24... 7+4+4 dips [on treadmill]... 15 pullups [on treadmill - feet touching]... 15 lunges [alt legs]
1/4: 1:14... 5+5+5 dips... 10+5 pullups... 15 lunges
1/4: 1:13... 5+2+1/2+0 dips... 10+5 pullups... 15 lunges
1/4: 1:12... 1 1/2+0 dips... 10+5 pullups... 15 lunges

Pretty much maxed out the treadmill. 12.4 mph is as fast as it goes, and it has that annoyingly slow accelleration.

Went out to the pool: Tread water 1 min, no hands 1 min, 10 squats, 10 jump squats, 10 tuck jump squats. A bunch of just floating around, too. All the debris is out of my L foot, 1 thorn tip still in R.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
Upper body's sore from yesterday's WOD... so I modified today's WOD...

1 min tread water
100 jump squats in 5' water. Doing well, then lost my rhythm and started sucking in a little water.
69 HSPU in 3.5' water, mostly 3 or 4 at a time.
5+3 pullups on a tree. It's lame, but I don't care.

Who designs these things, anyways? [I know, Jesse Goody does. He does much better than I could at changing everything up. Don't mind me.]  ;D

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »
Pretty much maxed out the treadmill. 12.4 mph is as fast as it goes, and it has that annoyingly slow accelleration.
Like Raindog from WAPK said, treadmills suck for two reasons:
1. They are inside.
2. They are not outside.

Now I see there's a third reason to hate treadmills.
TREADMILLS ARE WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK!

By the way, 100 jumping squats is very good. ;)
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 12:33:34 PM »
Saturday: 44th birthday. Biked to Ma'alaea on the highway, biked back home on the beach. That was about 10 miles? I had to ride at water's edge - sand onshore was too squishy. I was soaked and sand-covered when I finished.

Sunday: Played paddleball on the beach with G. 5x10 jump squats in 3-5' water. 7 HSPU in water. Lost my keys somewhere in the ocean. G was not happy. I swam around for 15 minutes looking for them. We prayed. I went under again for about 20 seconds and found them.

Treadmills are evil. If I'm supposed to run a set distance for <= mile, it's handy, because I don't have a working watch with a second hand. I don't need one. I don't want one. I have access to a treadmill, but I prefer to run outside.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 10:33:14 AM »
Did a bad job of scheduling my time.  Didn't work out.  :P
1 HSPU and 10 pseudo-planche push ups.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »
Squats: 40+10+50
Tuck lever : 18+30+20 seconds on treadmill -- treadmills ARE good for something!
Adv. tuck lever: 15 sec
Tuck lever pullups: 3 -- about 3" ROM :)
Dribbled basketball a while.
Tried to juggle volleyballs, pingpong balls, pingpong paddles. Did not try mic stands. 2 ok. 3 not.
Pullups: 5+5+5
Lseat dips: 4+5

I hate to admit it, but treadmills are not evil. They're good for dips and levers. I still don't like running on them, though.

When I look at Crossfit, I see there are 10 areas I should be working. Some things require body training, others nervous system practice. I plan to revise my goals. I know I need to work on flexibility and balance... after 11 years + 6 years at mostly desk jobs I need to work at pretty much everything.

When I look at life, though, I see there is a lot more to life than just physical activity. Sure, it's nice to be in shape. It's cool to see progress. It's important to eat well. But there are things that are much more important. Relationships with God, and the people who are close to us. Making new friends. Helping those less fortunate. Getting spiritually fit, and mentally fit as well.

I have a lot of goals to work on. I still need to write the beginner article for APK. I've flaked so bad on that...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »
GWR night run: Casual business clothes, dress shoes.
Rock climbing, cat crawls on log railings, pullups 5+5+3, 1 foot balance on rocks, hydrants. Balance on top of wall, climb around pillars. Minor attempts at wall spins.

Attempted wall climbs but dress shoes = poor traction = black marks. Not good at a luxury resort. I got most of it off, but not all. It's in a not common area. Shouldn't be too visible.

Balance work on tubular lighting truss. Needs lots of practice.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »
At GWR: office stairs. 5x5 pull ups, 5+5+5+4+5 l-seat dips.
Ran 1/2 mi or so to MOW. 1/2 way through teardown, got a call from GWR. Ran back. Ran/walked both ways again.

While waiting for ride home, after 14 hours work: WOD "Cin": [12 minutes]
[Full workout "Cindy" = 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats -- as many sets as possible in 20 minutes.]
pushups: 4x10 + 7x5 = 75
squats: 13x15 = 195

A little rock climbing/ hopping and some little vaults at break this morning.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »
Did a bunch of the Bob Anderson "Stretching" exercises. You can google the book and see quite a few pages from it. My wife would be proud. She's been trying to get me to do flexibility exercises for 5 years.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
Bike slow HI to GWR = 6 - 7 miles. Tried not to break into a sweat.

Bob Anderson "Stretching". I did most of the exercises.