Author Topic: Possibly good addition to training gear.  (Read 3644 times)

Offline budoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Possibly good addition to training gear.
« on: June 05, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »
Check this out.  I don't know how well it actually works but I am thinking of getting one of the gizmos to use for training.  It is a vest that you wear and plug in your music player to in place of using earphones.  It supposedly has some surround sound ability, and can even be used with your cell phone.  Currently I have a prob getting tangled up in loose earphone cords unless I wear them under my shirt, but then if I wear them under my shirt the plug is pulled out of my player.  The only prob I can see with it is if it rides up your neck.  But, if you use your imagination you could have alot of fun with this.  Just imagine wearing this under a loose fitting shirt with the the Hawaii Five-0 theme song playing while running around the city, over walls, under rails, jumping gaps!  Or another one, play a police siren recording through it (still hidden under shirt) and chase one of your friends around while a third friend records bystanders reactions.  Ok, maybe I'm weird but there is all kinds of fun I can have with a toy like this (car alarm recording just came to mind).  Check it out if you feel inclined, I pasted a copy of the URL below.

http://www.wowzzers.com/soundwalkmp3playeraudiosportsvesthandsfreeearsfree-p-221.html

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly good addition to training gear.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »
I find it gimmicky. I'm not sure if I would trust it to hold up. The idea is cool, it kind of reminds me of this backpack that I saw with speakers in the shoulder straps.

Offline budoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20:27 AM »
Yea it is gimmicky, and I wonder if the sound quality is any good.  I am still debating on it.  If I get one I will field test it and see how long it takes for me to kill it then report back.

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »
You just want the model wearing it  ;D

Now everyone can have their own theme song playing wherever they walk
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »
I find it's good to not wear any gadgets at all, and to keep my pockets as empty as possible. I wish I had zippers on my pants pockets.. As for music while training, that's more for dancing and aerobics I would say. I have seen scientific studies which show that loud music reduces your visual acuity AND your ability to concentrate while you are listening to it.. and that could increase your risk of injury if you're doing parkour, or driving, or whatever.. so we know parkour deserves your full attention and all of your concentration, so that would be something I would consider before strapping digital gizmos to your body to make you feel like you're in a music video while trying to do parkour. Be careful. If you would like to combine acrobatics and music, try breakdancing maybe. It might be safer.

Offline budoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »
Yeah, the model is cute. ;)  As for wanting to feel like I'm in a music video?  Naaa, not so much, I just enjoy music.  Alot.  I listen to music just about everywhere I go and while doing just about everything.  It probably has something to do with the fact that I am also an apprentice DJ.  Also, while I agree that listening to loud music can be distracting, I don't exactly go around with my earbuds blasting the blood out of my eardrums (I go to the club if I want it loud) and I certainly don't use them when driving.  Wish you had zippers on your pockets?  I wear cargo pants with button down pockets for the few things I keep in my pockets (ID, keys, cash).  I find that if you sew in some hook and loop fasteners in addition to the buttons on the cargo pockets that they stay very secure indeed.

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
I'd be curious to see how fast it blows into a thousand pieces on your first roll
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
  • Deny yourself, take up your cross, follow Him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
O_o why is it so freakin' big? I guess it just has to wrap around your torso or whatever, but I much prefer my ipon nano in an altoids can with a little hole drilled in the end for my headphones, and a headband to keep them in. Plus, people are going to hear you coming from a block away. It's like a new and improved version of the grey boom boxes dudes in the hood carried back in the day XD
"No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me...from life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny."

Offline budoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »
Nano in an altoids can?  Sounds interesting.  Are you using an altoids gum can for that?  The only reason I even remotely considered this vest thing was so I don't have to keep getting wrapped up in my earphone cord, but if what your doing could achieve the same thing then please share.

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
  • Deny yourself, take up your cross, follow Him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:24 PM »
well, I usually wear an underarmour shirt, which keeps the earbud cord tight to my body, then I stick my nano into an altoids mint tin (you can get them at the gas station, right by all the gum. They're aluminum cans, red and white) I've drilled a hole in one end of the tin big enough to stick the male end of my earbuds through into the nano. I've got one of the new nanos, but I think the old ones fit into an altoids can as well. I stick some soft rags into the can with the nano so it doesn't get knocked from side to side.
Then I just stick the altiods can into my shorts/pants pocket. I have to make a pretty long playlist so I don't have to dig the ipod back out, but that's true no matter what you use.
as for keeping my earbuds in my ears, I just get an athletic headband (nike, adidas, whoever you feel like rep'in') and I pull it down over the earbuds.
this system seems to protect my ipod well and keep me entertained while I train, lift, etc. 
"No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me...from life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny."

Offline budoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »
Brilliant!  Well this method seems effective enough to scrap the vest idea.  Thanks for sharing!   ;D

Offline Jamie Crosby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
yeah i think that vest would break in a heart beat