Author Topic: Corks  (Read 754 times)

Offline NathanFransen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Corks
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
Hello, I have recently been working on my corks. I am really struggling with getting the height and/or spin to land it.  I first started working on corks 8 months ago, so I am getting very tired of not seeing much improvement. I have spent 11 days now being 100% dedicated to learning corks, 5 of them in the last week and a half.

Here are some from earlier today. I started off pretty well, but they started getting worse throughout my training session.

https://youtu.be/o9nv1iJE-8I

Help with my technique would be appreciated.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
Re: Corks
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
I know I'm super super late to reply to this, but two things I can point out:
1. You are getting 0 height. You don't seem to be jumping or kicking that leg up at allll. It's great that you've gotten over the fear and are committing to the movement, but now you need to work on getting the technique down and getting that height. Great job so far!
2. Your j-step, or however you're trying to build momentum for the flip, looks really weird, which might be another reason why you're losing height. The best way I can explain how I do my corks (I twist to my right and swing with my left leg)
Step with left leg (swinging leg) forward and to the left, then step with right leg (the leg that I use to jump) to the right, BUT turn the right foot to the right by about 60-90 degrees. This just means turn your foot as you're stepping out. Then, swing with that left (swinging) leg as hard as you can, and get your chest into the air by jumping off the other leg. GET THAT HEIGHT!! Then, wrap your arms into your chest with a super powerful torquing motion, hold the twist, bring your legs underneath you, and land on the balls of your feet.

If you twist to your left and swing with your right leg, step forward and to the right with your right (swinging) leg, step forward and to the left with your left (jumpy) leg and turn your foot to the left, swing with right leg and jump off left leg. Twist, land, boop.

Most of all: don't get frustrated with this, man!! Have fun with your training, that's the whole reason why we do it!
Another note: I notice that if I try to learn something (I've especially had this problem with btwists) that if I land it okay the first try, I'll get overconfident and just chuck a few more, that all end up being super crap because I'm not trying as hard as I was the first time. What I'm saying is, just because you land it once doesn't mean you should forget all the work you put into building your technique and just throw them. Make sure you do it right EVERYTIME and build that good muscle memory.
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.