Author Topic: MF's Training Entries  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
MF's Training Entries
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »
Suhhh, dudes? Name's Remy a.k.a Move. Live in Michigan, I've been training for about 3 years now, but have gotten serious about it only recently. Backstory on how I got into PK/FR (warning: it's probably gonna be long af). I think I kinda owe it to my older brother (we'll call him T). Back in 2011, when I was 14, T got his hands on this cool-looking game (you're gonna cringe) called Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Yeah, I liked the game a lot. But the part that I liked the MOST about it was the cool ninja stuff in the game they called "free-running". I always thought it was cool to see them jump gaps and run up the walls. I think T showed me some videos of people doing the same thing the assassins were doing, and it was called "parkour". I was absolutely floored that it was a real thing and so many people actually practiced it, and I searched for a parkour gym right away. There was one nearby in Livonia, called Freedom Freerunning Academy (closed down, but re-opened as Phoenix Freerunning Academy), and it held classes and open gyms and such. I went there for my 15th birthday on August 26, 2012 (super significant date to me) for a beginner's class, and it was extra cringey now that I look back on it. Even though I was a beginner, I was so awful. I had no balance for pre's, I literally SMACKED into a wall on a wall run attempt, and I was wearing Converse and regular jeans. But I had a lot of fun, and I practiced on my own for a while. I've been involved in the community, made a ton of amazing memories and friends, and been on a path towards self-improvement ever since.

TL;DR: Older brother introduced me to AC: Brotherhood, took a beginner class on my 15th bday, been practicing since then and have made a ton of friends and good experiences along the way.

ANYWAY, starting next Monday, March 28, I'll be keeping track of my training/workout sessions/health activities in general here.

Thx for this, APK, can't wait to start!

Btw: comments and advice are welcome
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:40:24 AM by Move_Forte18 »

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
Re: MF's Training Entries
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
I pretty much started the exact same way, same game and all. The only difference is I went on to teach myself. :D
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
Lol cool, kinda grew out of the whole Assassin's Creed thing after a while, and I am trying to progress by looking at online tutorials for moves and reading athletes'/teams' advice on how to workout and train well

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:06 PM »
My training started on Monday, but I completely forgot to post.
Finals are coming up soon, so I won't be able to train as much as I want to, probably until around when the semester ends ._.

Monday: I didn't do anything. Lol I'm lazy chump

Tuesday: Did some upper body and core exercises for the first time in a while. Left my muscles sore af.

UB:
- 20 wide-grip pushups
- 15 regular pushups
- 10 diamond pushups

Core:
- 15 lemon squeezes
- 50 crunches
- 10 side-to-side crunches

Muscles felt hyooge afterwards, then I went to my job at the local gymnastics gym. Threw some pretty decent fronts, practiced sideflips into the foam pit. Not even good at those yet, plus the rotation feels weird, compared to what I'm used to with front and back flips.

Wednesday (Today):

Nothin.

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:42:12 AM »
Yesterday (Thursday, March 31), I practiced sideflips at Troy Gymnastics after my shift there was over. My problem for them was that I would never get any height, and the set and rotation always felt weird. I tried them into the foam pit, and my friend said they were perfect, so I was like meh, let's try them on "flat" (I cheated because I used a springboard to help me get height lol). They turned out pretty nice. I'm glad I have sides in my flip repertoire now 👍

Tomorrow, I'm gonna pick up sprints again. I completely lack leg power, so I'm going to go the nearby park early before work and sprint up the hill a few times. Night, people
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:48:30 PM by Move_Forte18 »

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 10:23:44 AM »
Didn't get up early enough, so I just used my treadmill, and I got a decent workout in.  The weather went bad today, so no outdoor training sadly (snow in April in Michigan, what are the odds) :l

Sprinting (Time):
53 seconds

Workout (3 sets):
10 jumping jacks
10 squats
5 diamond pushups
10 mountain climbers
10 plank jump-ins
10 high knees
10 knee pull-ins
10 cross crunches
10 leg lifts
5 pull ups

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
Haven't posted in a while, here's some of the progress that's been made:

Tuesday, April 5:
Landed my sideflips w/o a springboard, but my main problem was getting height. I practiced with doing shoulder shrugs instead of throwing my arms, but I think I prefer the arm-throwing over the shrugging. Still need to work on sides all around, tho.

Wednesday, April 7:
Went back to Phoenix Freerunning, practiced reverse vaults a bit, more sideflips, and kong to cats. The reverse vault's weird, and I'm having trouble actually getting over the vault box when I perform it. I'll get em eventually lol

With the sideflips, I noticed that I tend to move backward in the transition from my set to the landing. I was told this is a common problem with most freerunners.

The kong to cats are kinda sketchy, because I already have a bit of trouble with cat leaps as it is, and I don't get my feet in front of me to catch the wall in time. A lot of mental barriers formed there, but I like the move itself so I'll work on those a lot more.

After that I learned russian front flips. They feel nicer than regular front flips, I just need to get MOAR HEIGHT

Thursday, April 8:
Practiced russian fronts more, because I needed to work on my backwards arm swing. I am getting more height, but it hurts my triceps and shoulders, so I guess I need to get more upper body mobility

Saturday, April 16:
Pros and cons with this day lol. I got my backflip on flat ground now, and it feels so good and casual, like I can do it anytime anywhere. Best feeling in the world

Downside of the day was that I lost my front flips and russian front flips lol. It might've been because I was tired but I was never getting enough height.

OTHER NEWS:
YO GUYS I'M GOING TO BEAST COAST 2016! So nuts for it, can't stop thinking about it lol
See y'all at Beast :D

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
Yo,

Lots of stuff has happened recently. I started physical therapy for my left ankle, which I damaged after using a calf-raises workout machine in early 2015, then about a week later, I attempted a sideflip at the academy and I messed up my right ankle a little. Gave me a good scare, but it was fine. BUT, the next day I screwed up my LEFT ankle (it's already pretty weak, mind you) doing a sideflip AGAIN. So now I'm scared to do sideflips on flat for fear that I'll hurt my ankles again.

Recently, the first We Jump the World Day was held. I went to Ann Arbor for a jam with some pretty chill people around the area, and I was trying to do backflips for my WJTW video. They felt weirder than usual, and I wasn't landing them correctly, so I'm taking a break from doing them, and I'm gonna wait until I'm confident enough to do 'em again (don't worry tho, the video turned out great hahaha)

I'm going to start jogging in the mornings tomorrow, because I miss running and I do need to get some cardio in.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:55:55 PM by Move_Forte18 »

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:15 AM »
So, trained outside after a long long LONG era of procrastination lol. I just trained the basics, because I'm still very self-conscious when I'm training alone in public. But I did notice that my wall runs and climb-ups are getting faster, and my vaults (kong, speed, safety) are smoother. I can do back tucks anywhere now, but ever since the WJTW jam I've had this weird mental block. I'm afraid to throw them for some reason, but hopefully I'll overcome that soon.

Offline Move_Forte18

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gettin' better errrday
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Been a while since my last entry. I've been pretty bummed lately, but before I spill what's up, here's what I've been up to so far:
I released two new videos on my YT channel, one featuring clips capturing progress from 2014, when I began actually training and filming my sessions, to now. The other is footage from this year's Beast Coast jam.

Anyway, the reason why I've been down these past few days is because recently I bailed badly on a back tuck at the end of a decent training session at the park. I try to do back tucks a couple times every practice so that I can get used to flips. I was throwing them pretty low that day, so after I did my 5th one I was packing up to go. However, this one kid saw me doing them and then he came up with his friend and asked me to throw one more. I didn't wanna be rude so I was like "sure man" hahaha. I was tired, and my muscles were worn out, and I KNEW I shouldn't have gone for it lol. I was like whatever I might surprise myself, so I set up, but then I just died mid-tuck, and landed on my neck/front part of my toes.

My neck didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would, but when I got up and went back to my car I slowly started feeling an excruciating pain in my left foot. It was so bad I couldn't keep my left shoe on, and then I saw that my left big toe area was completely bruised and swollen to the size of a ping pong ball. I had to limp inside when I got home, and then call into work hoping that I'd have the day off. Unfortunately I had work in like 45 minutes, and you need to find a sub if you can't come in. I couldn't find one so they made me come in, but once they saw how bad it was they sent me home. Luckily the doctors said that it's just a bad bruise from a swollen joint, from jamming the big toe super hard. It's been about two weeks and I still can't walk correctly, and I can't flex it up past 30 degrees.

So yeah all I'm doing now is playing it safe and strengthening my upper body until I can walk right again. 

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »
Dude, I hope you heal quickly!
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads