Author Topic: Railgun's Training Log  (Read 12102 times)

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Do traceurs dream of vaulting sheep?"
    • View Profile
Railgun's Training Log
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
Get it, Railgun... because we vault rails.... anyone?

I have been injured for the past 6 months, pretty sure I strained a ligament in my big toe from kicking a vault box too hard, so I have been easing into training the past two weeks because it still gives me problems. I know it isn't broken because I got an x-ray so as long as I stop when it gives me problems I should be fine. Anyway now the actual point of this journal.

Warm Up
Beginner Gymnastics Rings Workout (Gymnastics Rings are so fun and challenging, I am so glad I bought them)
       Toe Conditioning in between sets
Speed Vault Technique Practice
Cool Down/Stretching

The vault box I built is a little tall for comfortably learning speed vaults but that is just me complaining. I just need to pay attention to my foot placement more so I have enough power to make it over the box and not kick it. After 6 months of not doing parkour I am hesitating when I know I have the ability to do them. I also need to work on breaking bad habits such as hand placement and stutter stepping that I have.

I am trying to get back up to speed so I can have fun and keep up at the Annual Parkour Jam in Scottsdale, Arizona on January 16th. I hope that having a deadline will help me improve faster.

Goals:
-Be able to comfortably do speed and kong vaults by January 16th
-In 1 month be able to land silently from 3 feet consistently
-In 1 month be able to preform the beginner gym. ring exercise completely (so far I cannot do the max reps)

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun's Training Log
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
Warm Up
Ring Exercise
Light Stretching

Today was weird. It was a no burn day and of course one of my neighbors had to light a fire. The smoke stuck around for several hours and I like my lungs so I decided to wait to work out. When I did exercise my muscles were sore from having to move air conditioning units after yesterdays workout so I did not have time to physically recover. Then my brother decided to light off the left over little fireworks that we had, leaving a bad smell in the air and disrupting my work out. Because of this I did not do any vaulting and just stretched and went inside. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
Rest Day

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:13:08 PM »
Warm Up
Jump Rope
Ring Workout
Speed Vault Practice
Roll Practice
Landing Practice
Stretch

Got in a pretty good workout. Bailed pretty hard one time but that happens. Did not eat as well as I should of, I ate junk because I was hungry and it is kind of late right now. Really need to stick to my diet.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
It has been raining a lot the past 2 days so I have not trained. Hopefully the grass isn't marshland tomorrow.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »
Warm Up
Jump Rope
Ring Workout
Stretch

So I was stupid. I strained my wrist and my elbow from sleeping wrong. I then decided to work out. Now it seems I am going to be doing lots of precisions tomorrow because I cannot use my right arm. On the bright side 12 more days to the jam and I just need to tighten up my speed vaults / get comfortable with kongs.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Small Update:

The elbow injury is giving me more problems then I expected, so I have not done much other then stretch and stay loose throughout the past couple days. I have injured myself enough times to know that a week of doing nothing, while frustrating, is better then a month.

When I get back however, I am going to start the 365 days of parkour challenge that SebastianCannon told me about. It sounds fun.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
http://www.parkourpanels.com/?p=355

That comic kinda explains my current situation. The Jam was super fun as expected, and I learned how to rail slide. One guy brought a pad so I decided to try and practice front flips; thing is I had never tried doing them before so after about an hour of practicing them I still couldn't do it and I was tired out. But that happened after training for like 2-3 hours on other things so i decided to cool down and join the spectators till I was ready to practice precisions.

But that was the 16th of January, and since then I haven't been able to train. I did not use my arms much during the jam so the day after it did not hurt much. However the fun of having a manual labor job gave me plenty of opportunity to re-injure it. So it has been three weeks now since I injured it and I am still having problems.

Good news is my diet has been really clean, so I think I will have the energy needed when I do get back to training. I am a little frustrated that my ring exercise progress has pretty much been reset, but I think now that I know the techniques I can get back to where I was super fast. I am going to see a doctor about my foot injury so hopefully I can get that fixed in the following 1 or 2 months.
 Save me, I am so bored from not being able to train.  :P

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
Yesterday I went to the doctor and he said I might have sheered a ligament or be having radial nerve pain in my toe. The next step is to go get an MRI which I am going to have to pay for because of my high insurance deductible. I decided years ago however that my health is more important to me then money, and will not be stopped by it.

I felt really good though with how congratulatory the Doc was being about me loosing 30+ lbs from the last time I saw him. Because of that I think I am going to log my calories on rest days and days where I cannot work out for now on, just so I can see some progress and not just gaps in the log. I actually feel pretty good about life right now, I think I am going to spend the extra money to start going to my school's film club. If there is one thing I am decent at it is directing, and I have not done it for awhile.

(At the end of the day I am going to edit in my calories into the post)

Breakfast
>Greek yogurt with blueberries: 190
>Egg and been burrito: 450
>BANANA!: 110
Snack
>Fruit Bar: 110
Lunch
>Veggie burger: 310
>Sweet potato fries(baked): 290
>Milk: 120
Snack 2
>Crackers: 40
Dinner
>Peanut butter and jelly: 380

Total: 2,000 cal. I am kind of weirded out that it is 2000 on the mark...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:06:03 PM by Railgun »

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »
(Insert something witty)

Breakfast
>Apple: 100
>Peanut Butter and Jelly: 380
Snack
>Cheese Curds: 110
Lunch
>Sub Sandwich: 550
>Mixed Veggies: 120
Dinner
>Chicken and Guacamole Burrito: 700

Total: 2,080 cal.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
I might be able to start ring exercises again in the next two days, we will see.

Breakfast
>Burrito: 740
Snack
>Fruit Bar: 220
Dinner
>Waffles: 330
>Sweet Potato Fries (baked): 330
>Cheese Curds: 110

Total: 1850 cal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:31:04 PM by Railgun »

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
2/12/16> Over Ate
2/13/16> Under Ate

2/14/16

I am going to start back up my ring training tomorrow, only I think I am going to start doing it every other day. I keep forgetting that I haven't worked out for a while and have been trying to train at the intensity I used to.  :-\  I guess I am to eager to push past my limits.  :P

I should really be keeping my calories between 1,800 and 2,000; to do that I need to start taking a count of my calories throughout the day instead of just at the end of it.

Breakfast
>Rice: 130
>Eggs: 140
Snack
>Fruit Bar: 110
Lunch
>PB&J: 380
>Chips and Salsa: 270
>Peach: 80
Dinner:
>Spaghetti: 585
>Garlic Bread: 150

Total: 2,195 cal.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »
2/15/16> Do not remember
2/16/16> Ate All the Spaghetti/Ring Exercises
2/17/16> Met Caloric Goal

2/18/16

I have decided to wait until after I get my MRI done to continue my training, which leaves me with two paths.
   1) Say the MRI comes back and there is nothing structurally wrong. I will be going back to basics and make my workouts consist of   
           pilates (for core strength), basic joint conditioning (I remember my ankles and wrists giving me a lot of problems when I was
           younger), biking, qm, and 20 minutes of parkour drills a day.
   2) Two is if I need surgery, which means I am probably going to take a couple months to recover. First step is to learn to break dance
           with crutches, then how to take public transportation with my new mad skills. Step two is to overhaul my diet for optimum weight
           loss (-3 pounds a week), and start planning all of my meals ahead of time so that I can lose those last 20-30 pounds (also I need     
           to find a desk job). Step three is probably going to be me recondition my toe after it is healed because unlike normal people we in 
           the parkour community decided it was a good idea to run up walls. This will probably take a month or two also. Then when all that
           is done I move on to path one, only difference is the time delay and at least -20 pounds.

But it is always good to have a plan.

Breakfast
>Chips and Salsa: 180
Snack
>BANANA2!: 110
>Plumb: 80
Dinner
>Pizza: 480
>Salad: 160
>Ginger Beer: 170

Total: 2100 cal.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »
I got sick for a couple days and then just forgot about updating the training journal. Tomorrow I am going to force myself to do it proper but for tonight an update.

Friday I am going to have my eyes x-rayed to check for shrapnel or metal shavings. I very much doubt there are any, but it is better then getting something ripped out of my eye or the metal getting heated up and damaging them from the giant magnet that is the MRI machine.

Next Monday I am going to have the actual MRI done, finally, and I will go from there.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
Got sick again, but I got my diet back on track.

Breakfast
>Frozen Yogurt: 210
>Eggs: 120
>Oatmeal: 150
>Honey: 30
Lunch
>Crackers: 280
Snack
>Cliff Bar: 250
Dinner
>Ground Beef: 260

Total: 1800 calories

Protein: 65 grams
Fat: 50 grams
Carbs: 186.7

Tomorrow I am going to try to hit the veggies hard because all I had today was some kale in the yogurt. Hopefully I am feeling better tomorrow and can keep it clean.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:44:05 PM »
3/10/16> Tried to eat well but was feeling terrible so I honestly do not know how many calories I ate.

I just kind of realized how much I need more variety in my diet. It is kind of hard with braces because I cannot eat things like carrots or broccoli as they will bend them. I am going to try tomorrow to eat as little of what I usually eat as possible and try to come up with some variety for my diet. I am the only one in my house who eats clean, so it is hard to not just eat chicken, PB&J, etc every day as I do not have a lot of options. 

Breakfast
>Greek Yogurt: 130
>Oatmeal: 180
>Eggs: 140
>BANANA!: 120
Lunch
>Plumb: 63
Dinner
>Chicken: 186
>Home made sweet potato fries: 360

Total: 1803 calories

Protein: 102.8
Fat: 36.4
Carbs: 183

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
I am so happy right now.

News of my foot injury, it is a bone contusion (aka a bone bruise).This means I can work out again ;D. As for what I am doing now like I posted a couple weeks ago

I will be going back to basics and make my workouts consist of   
           pilates (for core strength), basic joint conditioning (I remember my ankles and wrists giving me a lot of problems when I was
           younger), biking, qm, and 20 minutes of parkour drills a day.

I do have some limits though to what I can do. To heal it properly I am absolutely not allowed to hit it again. In the state it is now it will heal fine and I can use it; but if I hit it bad enough it could cause permanent damage. As such I am laying down 2 ground rules going forward, until it is healed all the way I will: (1) stop if it starts to hurt (2) not do movements such as kongs that will risk my hitting my foot hard. Heat and good fitting shoes are the best way for me to help recovery [good excuse to buy some new training shoes].

Tomorrow when I figure out all of what I am doing I will post it, but for today I just
-warmed up
-biked 4-5 miles
-cooled down

I am going to increase my calorie intake to 2100 now that I am working out.

I found this awesome spot for training precisions, vaults, rolls, and wall runs by my first class that I get to 30 min. early. Definitely going to do my light skills training there 3 times a week. I am going to start my 365 days of parkour challenge tomorrow.

I will be trying to start up pilates by the end of next month but I will have to take an introductory class that happens like twice a month.

I can finally take up fencing again, I will be the first and only parkour pirate Rail Beard! fear me!

My thoughts are scattered now and this post is not the most organized, but man am I glad to write it.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
1/365

Need to get ready for bed so short update I guess

Do not know how much I ate

Worked on percisions and balancing for 40 minutes today, my back started to hurt so I stopped (I do not think I was absorbing the shock properly with my legs).

I will get my workout schedule sorted tomorrow.

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:37 PM »
2/365

When I woke up today it was suppose to be a rest day...

Morning:
>10-15 minutes of balancing drills before class
Noon:
>Rock Climbing [not the best idea when your legs are sore and you just had trouble walking up and down stairs]
>Inflatable obstacle course [I won :P]
Evening:
>Short amount of frisbee
>100 yard dash with heavy backpack to catch a bus, barely making it after playing frisbee

Did not do it all at once, but still a bit much when you are sore. Just took a hot bath and am going to stretch out before going to bed. I know I put off making my workout routine twice, but tomorrow is for sure going to be a rest day (boo homework) so I will sort it out tomorrow. I also need to eat like 500 more calories before I go to bed because I did not eat lunch. I will have to start up fencing next week it looks like. I am going to start using a calendar because there is a lot of stuff I need to do. Sigh, it's 9:00pm and I just want to go to bed but now I am worrying about all the stuff I have to do.

Side note: need a goodbye specifically for parkour along the lines of Star Wars's "May the Force be with You"; I think I am going to just start coming up with random things. "May your shoes always grip"

Offline Railgun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
3/365

Balancing drills were the only thing I could really do while sore. Besides that I stretched out and took a hot bath for my muscles.

It seems biking actually opened up my foot to be injured more easily, so I am not going to be biking for the couple months my foot takes to heal.

So, now presenting Railgun's "I have not had a steady exercise program for 10 months" routine:

Really with my limited options I am going to be doing a 30 minute bodyweight and qm workout every day for the first month or two, coupled of course with 5-20 minutes of parkour.

Standard Workout:
>Warmup (for now it is going to consist of just joint rotations and making sure everything is loose)
>Bear Crawl [forwards then backwards]
>Side Passes
>Duck Walk
>Crab Walk [forwards then backwards]
>Some Sprints back and forth
>Lizard Walk
>Body Weight Squats
>Monkey Walk [both sides]
>Plank
>Some Sprints back and forth
>Frog Jumps
>Cat Walk
>Cool down (jogging back and forth then breathing and stretching)

>Parkour Training WOOOT!

Obviously I will be tweaking it during the next couple days, but that seems like the best plan right now.

I found an ankle conditioning routine to do throughout the day that I am going to be doing for now on. I am also going to work on proper body weight squat form.

Hopefully I am not to sore to actually work out tomorrow which seems like a possibility.