Author Topic: (passive) cooling vests - retaining flexibility?  (Read 4804 times)

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
(passive) cooling vests - retaining flexibility?
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »
I'm seriously looking at buying one from Arctic Heat, but I don't want to rip/tear it with casual (or extravagant) movements. Does anyone have any experience with this vest?

edit: I'm in AZ, by the way. I mention this because I just noticed that my Location is listed as Boston, Massachusetts. What the?!?

2nd edit: That is, presumably it's supposed to be Location - I don't know what else it would be for.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:47:11 PM by like_a_child »
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: (passive) cooling vests - retaining flexibility?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:00:21 PM »
Its a funny little ranking system.  It means absolutely nothing, unless you are from Denver, Colorado then your better than everybody else.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=4320.0

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
BOSTON MASS BABY WOOO WOOO

thats where im from
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
  • Deny yourself, take up your cross, follow Him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
I would assume that if soldiers in Iraq are starting to use them, then they would be okay for parkour. I personally would wear a cut off over it, just to protect it a little. But that's pure conjecture, I've never actually seen one in person.
Depending on the price, I would either go for it or try to do my running in the early morning.
"No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me...from life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny."

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
I would assume that if soldiers in Iraq are starting to use them,

Soldiers, who also wear armor, possibly full battle suits, and are already losing "some" (acceptable degree of) mobility. I'll see if I can find out which athletes are using these, though - any whose regular motions require upper-body flexibility wouldn't be wearing something that restricted them there.
I give you this:

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
I was refering more to the sturdiness of the vests than thier movement reduction. Sorry about that.
"No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me...from life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny."

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
I was refering more to the sturdiness of the vests than thier movement reduction. Sorry about that.

:-[ It's okay, you answered my original question, and I should have clarified the connection I was thinking of - the vests may be "okay for normal use", i.e. people whose range of motion is everyday (or soldiers who can't move very well anyway, because their armor restricts them), but how does tolerate PK movement? If keeping them intact would require consciously avoiding certain movements, I'd want to know that in advance too, but now I've realized that if it did, certain athletic types wouldn't be wearing them ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:21:55 PM by like_a_child »
I give you this:

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
I've found a list of Olympic teams that are using the cooling vests:

http://coolingvest.i4u.com.au/media-reports.htm

Along the way, I found another cooling device. It'll be a while before most of us can afford this one, though ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Weather/story?id=97563
I give you this:

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »
If australian football players and rugby players are using them, they can probably take a lickin' and keep on tickin'
$3000? drop two zero's off of that and I'd buy a vacuum powered palm cooler-downer.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 12:27:38 PM »
If australian football players and rugby players are using them, they can probably take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

The cycling (angle of thigh to torso), kayaking/rowing (arm movement), fencing/tennis/swimming (probably not wearing much armor when they swim) are promising for freedom of movement, too.

$3000? drop two zero's off of that and I'd buy a vacuum powered palm cooler-downer.

Drop one zero off that and I'd team up with a few people I know to buy one for all of us :)
I give you this:

Offline ARES^34

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
good call (about the freedom of movement and the dropping of one zero).

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »
A knocking at the door, just a few minutes ago. Oh look! It's a cooling vest!

I was in the middle of lunch. Testing, and further reports, will have to wait until after I finish lunch :P
I give you this:

Offline Jamie Crosby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 10:50:13 PM »
im just not keen of adding an extra 2 pounds on my back

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »
im just not keen of adding an extra 2 pounds on my back

About 2/3rds of the gel is distributed along the front. The other third is on the upper half of your back (to avoid the kidneys).

It's been in the freezer for about half an hour now. I'll take it out soon and see how long it lasts, how effective it is in what's left of the day, and so on :)
I give you this:

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
Cooling vest - first impressions
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
I'm too damn skinny for my own good.

It's supposed to be a snug fit. I wore it over one T-shirt, partially to protect me from ice burns in case it was too cold. It felt loose. (Size=33!)

The feeling of coldness quickly faded. I think the strong thermal sensation is through contrast, and even with the sun heating me up from outside, the overall difference was never severe enough to make me feel it as acutely as when I first put it on. I'd probably need a temperature sensor to be sure. Also, it might have been reacting (to my body's heat) quickly enough that my temperature was never able to get that high.

Within a few blocks, I felt as if I'd been sweating for hours. This was probably due to my wearing it over one layer of normal cloth; the Sportwool is designed to "wisk" moisture away from the skin, preventing exactly this problem, but with my T-shirt there, the moisture probably got trapped and contributed to more heating. This also may have retarded the evaporation process, which suggests that greater cooling benefits will be seen when wearing it directly next to the skin.
I give you this: