Author Topic: training for height drops?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Timeforbacon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
training for height drops?
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
How do you train for height drops? Do you just slowly increase height? Also what weight lifting weights would be best and how heavy should you be able to do then in comparison to weight like a percentage? I'm talking about doing a hand slap landing from a height twice your own. Like this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=d2RAVMXDL-ed8gGtkIGYBQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZKTBqUEBzTo&ved=0CCAQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEU8qEODvEFgxzwOEbQZ1ix3YdtBw

Offline tylertdog17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: training for height drops?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
hi im going to tell you alot of people dont take really high height drops you should always practice low at about 5 to 7 feet tall and practice that the most ive seen people get hurt really badly i have a friend who tries to do crazy height drops and usually smashes his shoulder in the ground. or if you dont have a good roll or landing technique you can injure yourself also when taking a high drop it wears down the knees also

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
Start very small and drill technique, technique, technique. Over weeks and months slowly increase height, but never stop drilling that technique at low levels without much impact. Every time you move up a height be extremely conscious of how it feels and be honest with yourself. If anything hurts or feels off you're not yet ready for that height. This is a very cautious approach but I've seen too many people get hurt thinking they can take drops they weren't ready for. Do not start with 5 foot drops. Start on the ground. If you're on the lighter side you can get away with more, but still be careful.

Best exercise for stronger landings is the weighted squat. Most people back squat, but I've heard it argued that front squats are better for parkour landings because they're more quad dominant and keep you more upright. Either one will work fine. For a back squat I've heard it tossed around that 2x bodyweight is a good goal. Once you're that strong increasing it passed that point supposedly has less benefit, and you'll be able to handle impact really well. I'm not sure about front squat weight, but it's less than back.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
For three weeks increasing height, take one week off.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Timeforbacon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
OK thanks for the advice guys!

Offline Bricksparts

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
Other than the aforementioned squats, what are some other effective methods for strengthening your knees? Any particularly good yoga poses for example?

Offline James Mellen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • make your own path, be like water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
the way im doing it is increasing height when I can take the previous drop with a 10 pound weight vest easily and not feel any discomfort from the drop. that just tells me when I should progress to the next increment. Ive been hard pressed to find a good progression of height so the usual thing you can find to progress on is a staircase, not always ideal but it trains your rolls good too.
people are too mental, BE yourself, BE who your heart wants you to be. become more intune with your body and dont get too mental.