Author Topic: Flipping on concrete  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Timeforbacon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Flipping on concrete
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:07:17 PM »
I've got the side flip and backflip down pretty consistently and I want to start doing them on concrete to put them in actual use. Does it hurt landing incorrectly on concrete?  How did you guys overcome this fear?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Flipping on concrete
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
Where have you landed them previously? Take it to grass before concrete. If you totally bail and land on your head or back or something then yeah, hurts a lot more on concrete and can cut you up. But if you land on your feet poorly it's just more impact to take, not honestly that much worse than grass. I'd actually rather side flip on concrete because it's easier to jump on than grass.

To get over the fear I flipped off of concrete onto grass. So just off a sidewalk or something. When I got comfortable with that I knew there was no functional difference and just flipped on concrete. It's really scary at first but with some practice you'll get comfortable to the point where you don't even care what substance you're flipping on.

Offline Timeforbacon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Where have you landed them previously? Take it to grass before concrete. If you totally bail and land on your head or back or something then yeah, hurts a lot more on concrete and can cut you up. But if you land on your feet poorly it's just more impact to take, not honestly that much worse than grass. I'd actually rather side flip on concrete because it's easier to jump on than grass.

To get over the fear I flipped off of concrete onto grass. So just off a sidewalk or something. When I got comfortable with that I knew there was no functional difference and just flipped on concrete. It's really scary at first but with some practice you'll get comfortable to the point where you don't even care what substance you're flipping on.

Wow thanks! I've been doing it on grass, never really thought about coming off of concrete, but seems like a great idea! I don't know what it is, but whenever I try flips, twists, etc. In my backyard I can never do it as well as I do on grass in a public place! It's kinda what has been keeping me from trying it. Idk what it is, might be the adrenaline from people watching but I seem to perform better in public!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Yeah your mentality is probably just different when you're in public. At home you might want to do some warming up and do easier movements to get yourself into the right mindset. It depends on you personally so just do what gets you prepared. I'm the type of person that likes to train with others and I do better then, but I don't like having a crowd or a lot of attention. It makes me feel like I have to do all impressive things or something. Which is dumb but whatever.

Anyway, if you can do it on grass you can do it on concrete. Just be sure to commit and be careful about landing and I'm sure you'll nail it. Good luck!