Author Topic: "I'm Just Going For a Run"  (Read 10552 times)

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
Re: "I'm Just Going For a Run"
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
Well... it didn't get much above 30 degrees F here (which is ridiculously cold for Louisiana) and it was rainy and wet all day... It was only supposed to be a 40% chance of rain so I'd brought a bag to go to the park after school, but obviously that didn't work out. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'm going to try to go then, instead.
Plans for tomorrow:
Relearn how to do pistol squats... I can "do" them, but for some reason the leg I hold up (the one I'm not standing on) starts to hurt a lot when I go down and I don't get why. Going to research and try to figure it out.
Do at least 30 climb ups (over the course of the ~3 hours I'm there) since I've been getting really lazy with my attempts to build muscle.
Try to bring my music stand and ipod (for video recording purposes). Tip: If you need to record something and can't get anyone to do it for you, tape your ipod/iphone/etc. etc. etc. to a music stand or something and go for it.
Live Free, Run Free
Don't go beyond your boundaries, expand them.
Never stop playing.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
Is it the front of your thigh that's hurting? If so, that's just your quadriceps and it's extremely common for them to hurt when doing exercises that involve hip flexion. Most people run into the problem with l sits, but it also happens with pistol squats, hanging leg raises, L pull ups, and other similar things.

You could be contracting the quads very hard to keep your leg straight which will tire it out. Not to mention the quad aids in hip flexion so it gets strained that way as well. The issue usually goes away with time. I would recommend that you stretch your hip flexors, work on hamstring flexibility, spend more time in l sits or the bottom of pistols, and foam roll if you can.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
Yeah, front of the thigh. Thanks Dick! I'll start working on that, then. I used to be able to do them fine, and I can do L-Sits okay, so maybe doing them more and stretching a bit more often would be good. Sadly enough, I hardly, if ever, stretch.

Went to the park again today from about 12:45pm-3:45pm. Trained a bunch and met some really cool guys. One guy that saw me practicing and decided to try some stuff, but I didn't really talk to him all that much. Another around my age that just moved down here and had a lot more experience than me. I think he said he's been doing parkour for 3 years. And another, older guy, that saw me trying a back flip. He used to practice, so he gave me some tips for my back flip. Worked! Apparently I wasn't tucking as tight as I thought I was. I landed a few perfectly and some other "less good" ones.

Goals Accomplished: Backflip and recording. (I forgot to do the climbups and pistols. I'm about to go do the pistol squats, though.)
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »
For most people the pain goes away after a while. I know when I don't practice l sits for a while I cramp up like crazy when I go back to them.

I also don't stretch either, like at all. The only thing I'll do is wrist warm ups because I hurt my wrists and shoulder dislocates because I had bad shoulders. And I'll do full squats too. It's such an important thing but I hate doing it, so I definitely feel you there.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »
I usually warmup, because after getting shin splints I'm trying not to agitate them again, but I can definitely agree with you. The pain in my leg did feel less, and not really at all at one point, but  I didn't really get to do many pistols because I just learned my back flip and my core and legs are sore like I've never felt before... I can barely sit down and stand up and every time I sneeze I almost die... I've been sore from using new muscles like when I first started doing b-twists and b-kicks.. but this is just insane..

Soo didn't do anything today except do a few backflips early this morning to make sure I didn't forget it. Other than that, it started raining and I was really sore so I didn't do anything except go to the expo center church thing and film some stuffs. Just simple things, because I was feeling pretty lazy. And I had a lot of homework to do, because procrastination...
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline taylor_flux

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »
@C.Bourque Not sure if this is the place to post this but just wanted to let you know that my friends and I are also in Louisiana (Covington Area) and we just created a team. So far it's just us three. We have only been practicing for a year or so, off and on, but now we are starting to get a lot more serious about it. We just purchased a bouldering mat to start learning flips. Also, just made a vault box. But yeah, maybe we can get together some time in the future!

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »
That'd be awesome to meet up. Covington is about an hour from my house, so I might not be able to go up there until I get my driver's license or convince my parents to drive me. I live in the Gonzales area, but I don't know many other traceurs around here. I met one guy at the park and there's one guy at school I don't talk to that much. and I've been training about as long as you. I wasn't too serious about it until about six months ago though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:29:49 PM by C.Bourque »
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline taylor_flux

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
Hahah yea man i feel ya. Luckily my friends, who is on the team, just recently got his licenses so that makes it a little easier. Also, it is only us three here too, but thankfully we do have each other (lol sounds really weird but true).

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
Awesome! Anytime you want to meet up (provided it's not raining) tell me and I'll see where we can. I usually go to the Jambalaya Park near East Ascension Highschool if you want to come down here, if not, I'll see about getting my mom to drive me to covington.
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
Webt to the park, core wasn't that sore anymore so did a backflip and it felt like I'd ripped my stomach in half. I'm fine now, but no more backflips for a while..

(Not sure if I mentioned, but after learning the backflip my core and legs were so sore I couldn't move the next day. It was like insane, and i was still sore two days later. And still am, a little bit. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, because it never hurt doing it on the trampoline.)
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »
Haha yeah that soreness happens all the time with back flips. Do some hanging knee raises to get the blood flowing and you should feel less sore.

Offline taylor_flux

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:20 AM »
Awesome! Anytime you want to meet up (provided it's not raining) tell me and I'll see where we can. I usually go to the Jambalaya Park near East Ascension Highschool if you want to come down here, if not, I'll see about getting my mom to drive me to covington.

Yea man, sounds sick! Will definitely have to get together some time! We usually hit up Mandeville High School. A lot of rails and sweet walls. But yea shoot me an email (itaylorw251@gmail.com) so that we can stay in touch!

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
Okay, good. I was worried I was trying to hard with the flip or something. Thanks, I'll definitely do that  ;D

I'll make sure to send you an email, but I don't check mine all that often. Maybe sometime next week when it dries up again I'll see about coming up there. (calebbourque@yahoo.com is my email)
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »
Just be sure to rest a bit, You don't want to hurt yourself throwing more back flips. Most people get crazy sore when they first work on them, so there's probably nothing really wrong.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
I just found it a little weird that i didn't get sore doing them on the trampoline but it was really bad in ground. I'll definitely be  resting, then. It's about time for one and it rained today anyways. I feel mostly fine, but I did yesterday as well... Didn't do anything but read, eat popcorn, and drink hot chocolate today ;)
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »
Worked on my frontflips and backflips all day today and yesterday. I've gotten pretty good at them and I feel confident about them now  8)
Core feels fine now
However, my shins don't like front flips too much. It feels like too much impact and I get pain similar to my shin splints growing as I do ~4 or more. They stop hurting pretty quickly, though.
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
Went to the park today and played around a lot. I'm getting much more comfortable doing vaults with my not-main-hand. I did a few backflips, but I'm sore again from yesterday. Also did some front flips, but my shins started to hurt pretty quickly. I'm going to try and learn to do split step into my front flips to maybe ease the impact and try to start running out of my front flips instead of just landing feet together, with more of an emphasis on the last part. I feel like running out of it will make for softer landings? I dunno, I hope so. Backflips and aerials don't hurt my shins at all, and neither do any other vaults or jumps. Just frontflips. Am I doing something wrong?  ???
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline taylor_flux

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
I'm no expert on front flips but I've done a lot of research on absorbing impacts. But to me it sounds like your ankles aren't flexible enough in the front so your body isn't absorbing the impact. Here's a video on ankle flexibility that has been adopted by a lot of parkour athletes as the best way to improve ankle flexibility and strength http://youtu.be/8B1XvEbJUKE. Also. try building up strentgh in your shin by sitting down with your feet shoulder width apart, and flat on the ground. Then, while keeping your heels on the groun, lift the balls of your feet up and down towards your shins repeatedly at a slow pace. just do this whenever your sitting down and you will build up the muscles in your shins which should help with your current problem, and also helping with shin splints.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »
I've been working on the shin exercises for a while now, and I've noticed a lot of improvement from when I started a few months ago, but the flexibility thing I didn't think about. It does make sense, and testing my ankles right now, they don't feel that flexible. I'll definitely check that out, thanks ;D
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.

Offline C.Bourque

• Patas
  • Never stop playing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Nothing today or yesterday. It rained today, and I figured I'd give my body some rest. I haven't had any in a while, so it's better I do it now while it's raining than when it's perfectly dry outside.
Live Free, Run Free
Never stop playing.