Author Topic: New to pk & looking for training partners!  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Steph R.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
New to pk & looking for training partners!
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
What up LA traceurs!  I am new to Parkour, & looking for some locals to train with.  I am just starting out, & as such, my primary focus right now is pretty basic-- strength, endurance, conditioning & basic foundational moves & techniques.  I don't even have any background in running, so that is all fairly new to me too.  I do have a background in gymnastics, though, & that has come in handy, but I've pretty much picked up what little pk I know from you tube videos, lol.  I'm not a real big fan of sitting around online, though, so I could really use a partner!

I've seen quite a few posts from the Lafayette area, & it looks like there are also posts from the Ruston & Monroe areas.  Anybody from Shreveport/Bossier area, or NWLA?  (I also travel down to around Natchitoches once in a while, so if you're near there, or somewhere btwn here & there, give me a shout!  Maybe we can meet up when I come that way.)

-Steph

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
Re: New to pk & looking for training partners!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:33:33 AM »
What up LA traceurs!  I am new to Parkour, & looking for some locals to train with.  I am just starting out, & as such, my primary focus right now is pretty basic-- strength, endurance, conditioning & basic foundational moves & techniques.  I don't even have any background in running, so that is all fairly new to me too.  I do have a background in gymnastics, though, & that has come in handy, but I've pretty much picked up what little pk I know from you tube videos, lol.  I'm not a real big fan of sitting around online, though, so I could really use a partner!

I've seen quite a few posts from the Lafayette area, & it looks like there are also posts from the Ruston & Monroe areas.  Anybody from Shreveport/Bossier area, or NWLA?  (I also travel down to around Natchitoches once in a while, so if you're
near there, or somewhere btwn here & there, give me a shout!  Maybe we can meet up when I come that way.)

-Steph

Hey Steph, Spencer here from Ruston. Glad to know that someone from our state is interested in our sport. We try to train at least twice a day in Ruston on Tech Campus. We have a small community of people, but due to the summer, not everyone is around but a few. Just hit us or me up through email or facebook if you want to train.

Now for conditioning, since I'm one of our coaches. All I can give you is the basic parkour fit test I always give noobies, but since you're experienced in gymnastics, I'll bump up the reps. For now focus on getting the push up and pull up form down by doing 4 sets of each at 12 reps every other day. Also do squats and an ab move variation with the same sets and reps. For running, start off at 1 to 1.5 miles every day or so.

I'll be looking foreward in training with you soon.

--Spencer
WIP

Offline Steph R.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
Hey, Spence!

Thanks for replying to my post!  Sorry it's taken *me* so long to write back, though.  I got on & seen your post like the day after you wrote it, but got into reading all sorts of other stuff on the forum, & never replied.  Then, as fate would have it, I met with a whole slew of "obstacles" in my life, heh, so training, at least physically, got put off again.  =/.  I wish I would've stayed with it, though; I think of I could have, it might've helped me deal with everything else.  Nevertheless, I am trying to focus again, & have been doing a little training again.  My biggest obstacle so far, as far as the pk goes, has actualy been my shoes, of all things.  I have such hard to fit feet; I'm like a ladies 5-6.  Most shoes geared to pk or really even any good for pk, seem to be all mens, & my feet are too small to cross over & wear a men's shoe.  I did initially look for just a good running shoe, but almost everything was too narrow for my feet!  Finally foumd some Brooks tnat seem to fit, but those are reallly expensive for doing amy real pk in...lol...I would so tear them up right away.  I have actually just been working & walking in them right noe, with some light running, just to see if they are even right for my body.  I hesitated with them b/c the heel is sobig.  Im used to a little flatter shoe.  This one has lots of cushion, & a 12mm drop.  I have looked at Feyues, & it looks like they do come small enough, according to size chart, but I've read a lot of contradictory opinions, unfortunately, over whether or not these are good / safe for beginners.  Blah!  What do you think??

Anyway, I'm hoping to come down & train with you guys sometime soon, regardless of the shoe situation.  I want to use the gym, & excited to come meet everyone.  :).  I know school is starting now, though & there will probably be a lot going on down there.  Are you guys still planning on making time for pk training through the next few weeks?  When I come down,  it will either be on a Tuesday or over the weekend.  Let me know what yall's schedules are looking like!

-Steph

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Hey, Spence!

Thanks for replying to my post!  Sorry it's taken *me* so long to write back, though.  I got on & seen your post like the day after you wrote it, but got into reading all sorts of other stuff on the forum, & never replied.  Then, as fate would have it, I met with a whole slew of "obstacles" in my life, heh, so training, at least physically, got put off again.  =/.  I wish I would've stayed with it, though; I think of I could have, it might've helped me deal with everything else.  Nevertheless, I am trying to focus again, & have been doing a little training again.  My biggest obstacle so far, as far as the pk goes, has actualy been my shoes, of all things.  I have such hard to fit feet; I'm like a ladies 5-6.  Most shoes geared to pk or really even any good for pk, seem to be all mens, & my feet are too small to cross over & wear a men's shoe.  I did initially look for just a good running shoe, but almost everything was too narrow for my feet!  Finally foumd some Brooks tnat seem to fit, but those are reallly expensive for doing amy real pk in...lol...I would so tear them up right away.  I have actually just been working & walking in them right noe, with some light running, just to see if they are even right for my body.  I hesitated with them b/c the heel is sobig.  Im used to a little flatter shoe.  This one has lots of cushion, & a 12mm drop.  I have looked at Feyues, & it looks like they do come small enough, according to size chart, but I've read a lot of contradictory opinions, unfortunately, over whether or not these are good / safe for beginners.  Blah!  What do you think??

Anyway, I'm hoping to come down & train with you guys sometime soon, regardless of the shoe situation.  I want to use the gym, & excited to come meet everyone.  :).  I know school is starting now, though & there will probably be a lot going on down there.  Are you guys still planning on making time for pk training through the next few weeks?  When I come down,  it will either be on a Tuesday or over the weekend.  Let me know what yall's schedules are looking like!

-Steph

Hey, that's one thing about the parkour lifestyle we all have to deal with: molding our ordinary lifestyles with this new one we are all part off. As far as shoes good. 12mm drop shoes actually can cause negative responses especially for high impact sports like parkour due to the pounding of muscles and bones we do with our bodies. minimalist shoes, such as feiyues, help with the natural strengthening of the foot due to them being zero drop and having no arch support. I've heard of some women ordering small sizes in men's clothing, training gear, and shoes due to it feeling better towards them. Shoes can make or break a parkour career or hobby fast. I'll recommend going to birthdayshoes.com to do some research about minimalist shoes and invest in a good pair of running shoes like nike frees, vivobarefoot, or even puma. Hope some of these tips can help.

As far as our training schedule goes, since about four to five of us are training to be on the next American Ninja Warrior, we have a member training everyday Mondays and Thursdays from 7:45-9:00 PM and on Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Fridays from 5:30-7:30. I have work on nights, so My actual parkour training is limited until school starts for us, but I can set up training dates on the weekends and on my off days. There is actually an open gym session at Powerhouse Ruston every Tuesday from 6:30-7:30. First time is free and after is ten dollars a session. We all have great coaches and motivator, myself included. Feel free to email me if you're ever in the area.

Spence

P.S. Also search Parkour drills and workouts on Youtube to help out where needed. Plus doing yoga is a extremely useful resource for parkour.
WIP