Author Topic: Front Flip 180  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Satyamrami

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Front Flip 180
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
I can do a punch front off of a 1 foot object and on flat ground. I recently kinda learned the gather step, (Tips on that would be much appreciated). I now want to learn the Front 180 or Front Half off of a 1 foot object with a run up. Can you please shed some light on how I should go about this?
Satyam Rami

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Front Flip 180
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
Learning to twist, at least for me, is one of the weirdest, most technical things in free running. Once you learn how it's now that hard, but going through the process can take a while. It took me personally about 2-3 2 hour sessions (not the entire session was spent on twisting, but yeah) on a trampoline to get it even sort of clean. Some people get it faster, but it could take you quite a bit of work especially if you're self teaching. So definitely record yourself. Post it here if you want tips, or just watch it yourself.

The reason it's so important to film is you'll have very little idea what you look like until you watch it yourself. The most common problem I see with people learning to twist is they start it too early and it makes a mess out of the flip. The thing is you can still land it like this and you'll think you're nailing the front halve when it's really more of a weird side flip.

One small issue you might have to figure out is which way you twist better. Most people have a preferred side. You can experiment and see what feels more natural.

So to start learning it there's a drill that will help you with the twisting motion. Lay down on your back and get into a pike position. This means lift your feet and upper back off the floor, kind of like making yourself into a V. From there, extend with your hips and pull with your shoulders to roll over onto your stomach. This is the motion you'll have to do mid flip. Practice it until you really have a feel for it. You have to be comfortable with it here since you're be doing it upside down which gives you less time to think.

When you're comfortable with that it's pretty much just a matter of doing it. It's important to not do it until you're about halfway through the flip. So jump up, tuck, and about when your feet are directly up in the air do the same motion of extending your hips and pulling with your shoulder. Try not to let one shoulder drop below the other. Keep them even and just twist directly to the side.

The cool thing about front 180's is you can see the ground for most of the flip. For this reason I actually find them easier and safer than a normal front flip off a drop. Even if you bail you'll just land hands and feet so it's one of the safest flips. Work on that twisting drill, watch a few videos if you need, and then go work on it.

Offline Satyamrami

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
Thank you so much, this is very useful. Do you have any advice for the gather step front flip?
Satyam Rami

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:40 AM »
No problem, I hope it helps!

Gather step fronts are interesting. I just started working on them recently and I'm landing them outside now but very low and I'm not sure if my technique is great because I haven't filmed it yet. Some tips that should help, though:

Make sure you're still blocking. Even though you don't punch you should still start the gather step with your feet a little in front of you.
Let your weight settle and bend your knees. This will allow you to push off them and get all the power from your muscles instead of the impact like punching.
Really, really focus on jumping. Personally, I had to change where I look. When I do punch fronts I look at the ground a few feet in front of me and it works out alright since you get so much power from the block and punch. With the gather step you have to get the height yourself, so I had to start looking up. I pretend I'm jumping over something. Actually flipping over something might help too.