Author Topic: Sideflip Heigth  (Read 2888 times)

Offline imaktor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Sideflip Heigth
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
So hello guys :)
I´ve been doing Sideflips now for quite a while, but it seems i can´t improve them even though they are bad.
So my main problem is i´m tucking too early. But i can´t fix that somehow. Any fix to drill it?
Secondly it often feels if i´m doing a sideflip without jumping off anything I am not high enough. Well it´s not that i have no jump heigth, but somehow i cant manage to get it in this flip.
I´ve already watched enough tutorials, but cant make out these problems of one of them.

I hope you can help me, because i really like flow of a sideflip :)

Sorry for my english :(

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Sideflip Heigth
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
It's hard to know without seeing a video. If you can post a video I'll be able to give you much better advice but if not I'll still try.

My guess is that you need to work on setting more. Setting means you keep your chest up when you jump and get your height before rotating. So pay attention to what your shoulders do.

You might also be jumping out instead of up. If you land your flip several feet away from where you started you know you're jumping out too much. Try to focus on fixing that and translating it into height instead. One thing that will help a lot with that is blocking.

Offline imaktor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:41:59 AM »
But yeah you´re kinda right with the chest and setting thing.
The problem with me is i just cant jump up and then rotate. I´m almost always jumping into the rotation immediately.
Also a problem with me is that if i do a sideflip (doing it on my right side) i wont land on a line, but more left.   Like this :            -------**       The line is the setup run and the stars are where i land, but i really land more out.
And i dont get the idea of blocking at a sideflip, so someone can give me a hint, because i´m really jumping too much out but simply cant get up instead of out.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »
It's ok to start flipping as you start jumping as long as you don't throw your head down at the floor. Just make sure you're moving up as you start rotating and that your chest gets some height. This is really hard to explain and I can't think of a video to show you. But it might help you to flip over a small object so it forces you to jump. Just try to make sure your chest and shoulders are moving up as you start to flip.

For blocking it's important that your legs are a little bit in front of you as you take your last step into the flip. You shouldn't be jumping up a lot on your last step and your momentum shouldn't be stopped after it (this happens a lot). The key thing is not landing with your feet directly under you or you'll be forced to jump forward. Have them at a slight angle to your body aimed towards the way you're taking off.

I had the same problem with landing off to the side. You're most likely bending at the waist towards the front of your body as you jump so your rotation is a little bit in front of where your legs start. Try starting more upright and this should help with both height and landing in line.

One thing that might work

Offline imaktor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
Do you mean a more webster-sideflip takeoff with "upright"?
Also i prefer a 1-2 step for my takeoff to take care of my legs, so how does blocking here work?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:17:27 PM by imaktor »