Author Topic: One foot vs two feet Kong/Monkey takeoffs?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline WyoAram

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
One foot vs two feet Kong/Monkey takeoffs?
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »
I was wondering, when you do a Kong/monkey takeoff,what does takeoff do? I've heard that one foot make you go farther, and two feet makes you go higher. I normally use two,but I'm not getting distance. Any suggestions?

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: One foot vs two feet Kong/Monkey takeoffs?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »
Here's a really short discussion about this that I wish we had gotten to go more into: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,41349.msg474989.html#msg474989

It's not one foot that makes you get better distance, it's the split step take off which is linked in the above discussion. There are a lot of tutorials about it so feel free to look up more, I'm just short on time so I can't find more.

I'm not 100% sure that a two footed punch gets you more height, but I'm pretty confident that it does. The entire concept of the split step is to give you a way to take off without losing speed which means you keep going in the horizontal direction without a huge change in your vertical motion. The punch pretty much does the opposite, slowing you down but making it easier to get height. And of course there's a lot of individual preference and technique that goes into this, but pretty much always for distance you want to use a split step.

Offline WyoAram

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
Thanks. I was looking at the Split step takeoff thing. I"ll definitely try it out.

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
It's weird at first but practice with it and you'll find that it makes getting distance take so much less effort than punching it's insane.

Offline Roberto Espinoza Jr.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:02:23 AM »
I prefer to use something I once heard somebody call a "flam step" which is a combination of split foot and the two foot punch take offs. On the split foot, you do a little hop, then take off after a one-two step sort of thing. On the two foot punch, you do the little hop, then take off after punching the ground with your feet. For the flam step, you punch the ground with both feet, but your dominant leg (the same one you use for the split foot) is slightly in front.

I found this is incredibly useful to learn because two-foot wasn't doing it for me. The thing about two foot is that you sacrifice a lot of forward momentum at the expense of height. And while you may get the height to get over an object, you might not have the forward speed to clear it. With the flam step, because you have one foot in front, this conserves some of that horizontal momentum.
Warning:  Limits in mind are further than they appear.

Is it further...or farther...?

Offline CodenameX

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
Wait, I'm confusing myself. A two footed jump is having both feet right next to each other during a jump. A one footed jump was one foot on the ground. Those seem pretty simple. So, a split step jump would be a jump with both feet on the ground but having them slightly spaced apart, right? Would that make the "flam step" a normal split step jump? This is where I am confusing myself.

Anyone play basketball? I used to and I used all three types of jumps when I played. a split step for driving and changing direction easily in or near the paint. Two footed for a regular shot and a one footed for a lay up, dunk, hook, or any other shot. It gets you comfortable with your feet.
I always wished I could dunk. I'm still a few inches away from the rim. Being 5'6" and having short arms hasn't been too helpful.   

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
Never played basketball but basically the difference as far as I can tell is that the flam step is a punch with split feet but with the split foot takeoff you sink your weight into it first. With the split step you take the long stride with your weak leg and sink down on it a little as you transfer to the front leg and push off. The flam step is the same split but you kick the ground like a punch.

Offline CodenameX

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Before I attempt a move, it needs to make sense in my head. If I can't break it down step-by-step perfectly, I never end up doing it correctly and it feels wonky and weird. I couldn't picture the difference between split step and flam so the more I thought about it, the more I confused myself.

Offline rao

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 05:27:55 AM »
vice to read this post.SHAREit