Author Topic: Justus' (Kong's) Progression and Accountability  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
    • Urban Defense Myspace Page
Justus' (Kong's) Progression and Accountability
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
I've decided to go ahead and begin keeping track of my training as to keep me accountable and motivated. Also to show my training dedication and work for when I go to DC for the Parkour Instructor Certification. It would be helpful to throw in some tips or comments as I will be adding in my struggles and frustrations in my training as well. Thanx. This should be fun.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Justus' (Kong's) Progression and Accountability
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
I'm going to try and get certified next year with Adapt and then after that get APK certification with Adapt level 2.
I'll be rooting for ya :)
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Thanks Nick. I didn't even know about ADAPT Certification until now. Would I have to be in the UK to do that also?

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
24 Jun 13
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
24 Jun 13

APK WOD 7/23/13
I did this workout because I didn't have access to a pull-up throughout the day for APK WOD 7/24/13.

I also worked on some planche training. No where near where I wanna be but gotta start somewhere, right?

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Thanks Nick. I didn't even know about ADAPT Certification until now. Would I have to be in the UK to do that also?
Nope, they said they will announce it level 2 in October for the US
http://www.parkourgenerations.com/adapt
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »
Friday, 26 Jul 13

Raining like crazy so I stayed in and worked on some quadrupedal movements throughout the day. Also spent about an hour working on some planche progression and core strengthening.

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
Wednesday 31 Jul 13

Today was wet outside because of the rain. But I thought it a good idea to do the WOD as to better work on my balance. It was awesome. My number was 52 (a step with both legs equaled 1). Also worked on some grip and balance with some push ups on the bar (cat push ups...not sure what they're called but the guy is doing it on the WOD main page). Good stuff.

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Thursday, 1 Aug 13
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
Today I worked on grip training and climbing drills. I also worked on flow by doing some Add-ons. Good stuff.

I'm saving the WOD 8-1-13 for tomorrow because I donated plasma today and didn't think it a good idea to do too much. I will post my time tomorrow as well.

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
Ok I HAVE been training. I've just been too busy to post. So my next post(s) will be me back-tracking.  ;D

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Back-Tracking
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
Ok, so that didn't work out too well, as I've already forgotten a lot of what I did and when I did it. So I've decided to just move forward. I've also decided to keep a written journal so that something like this wont happen again.

Live and Learn.  ;)

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
12 Aug 13
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
Today I decided to use APK WOD for 9 Aug 13 as my Monday conditioning. With that being said, today's training sucked...so good.

4 Rounds in 15 mins.

So I am using this as my base line.

Also, I added in more as I did not feel I did enough today.

Wall Climbs (5 rounds; 1:00-2:00 rest in between)
Cat Crawl on a rail (5 rounds; :60 rest in between) (I will get that exact length of the rail tomorrow)
Rail Push-ups (1 round each of 10, 7, 5; :30-:60 rest in between rounds)

PS: With the wall climbs, I was feeling a sharp pain in the back of my right shoulder on the descending motion. If anybody might know what could be doing wrong to cause that I would greatly appreciate the tip. I did notice that it was when I had gotten past the half way point where you transition your hand placement (not sure if that helps at all). In the mean time, I will check out some tutorials and see if I can find anything on there. Thanx in advance.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:38:18 PM by Justus »

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
14 Aug 13
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
Today I did APK WOD 13 Aug 13.
I learned that I can only do the Frog Stand, but I will get there. I'll just have to keep training until I get the it down in hopes to progress to the planche.

I also worked on some wall climbing drills (I saw on the Tapp Brother's YouTube page) to help my progression. My goal is to get a consistent, smooth and almost effortless wall climb.

After that, I worked on the Flag Pole. Pretty much the same deal as the Wall Climb. It needs work. lol.

Then I worked on the Rail Spin (I've always wanted to get that one). I'm pretty close. But again, my goal is consistency. So I still have some work to do.

In the mean time, I'm working on my patience:-\

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Monday, 19 Aug 13
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
Had to help a friend move some stuff today, so I didn't get to do as much as I wanted. But then I found a park and decided to play tag with ALL of the children there. Catch: I was always it!

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Tuesday, 20 Aug 13
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »
BIG NEWS:
I finally found a gymnastics gym in my area (Augusta, GA) that has an open gym night. That night was tonight! I got some great training in on some things that I've wanted to try on the safety of mats. Things like a longer kong vault, a higher dash vault and some kong-to-percisions. Which, of course, all need work, but I'm so glad I feel like I'm actually getting a chance to progress.

Goals for next week:
-Continue trying to perfect the big kongs and high dash
-Continue to try and get the kong-to-precision
-Work on back hand spring
-Maybe work on the side flip soon (not sure if it will be next week)

BIG NEWS #2:
I'm orchestrating a parkour MeetUp for the Augusta area for this up coming weekend (Saturday, 24 Aug 13). Hoping to get some awareness of the sport out, as well as other traceurs/traceuses that might be thinking there's no one or nothing in Augusta to train with.
So if anyone knows anyone in the Augusta, GA area, make sure to help spread the word and maybe give them my contact info: walker.justusl@gmail.com

IM SO EXCITED!!!

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Saturday, 24 Aug 13
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
So today was the Augusta Parkour MeetUp.
It was a pretty decent turn out (it was like 5 ppl). Small group but great people. So I'm working on another one sometime very soon.

I was asked to do a demonstration (never happened before) but I think I did pretty good. Especially considering my body was feeling like crap since the Tuesday open gym. Yeah, I think I did too much. I'm such a perfectionist that I will keep going until I get the move right (and get it right consistently).

Also, I found another gym. This gym actually had other traceurs in it. So, I'm meeting more ppl in the area that are into parkour; which was the goal.

Over all...great day!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:36:56 AM by Justus »

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Monday, 26 Aug 13
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 07:36:07 AM »
I took today off. I went hard last week and I feel it all over. lol. So I'm gonna take this day as another recovery day along with Sunday. Do some stretches...drink water.

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Tuesday, 27 Aug 13
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
Today, I went to open gym and worked on my long Kong, high kong, dash vault, and kash vault. I also worked on my front tuck. I want to get that tuck down packed because I also want to get the webster down.
I also tried the double kong. I soon realized I need to back up and work on my upper-body strength by doing some handstand push-ups or something.

Also, I went scouting for some places to practice. Found some pretty good ones. This was on post (Fort Gordon), so I will have to take out some time to find more off post--just in case i get to train with some ppl that aren't able to come on post.

Overall, I believe I made some progress today.

PS: With the long kong, my goal is to vault a picnic table.

Offline Justus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go Hard or Go Home!
    • View Profile
Wednessday, 28 Aug 13
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
I wasn't supposed to train parkour today (today is my martial arts training day) but I couldn't get it out of my mind all day until I got it out of my system.
So, I went to the park and worked on some climbing drills again. I also worked on some balance training with cat walks on a rail and some rail push-ups.