Author Topic: Need help with front flips. Cant jump high into it  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Vetemor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Need help with front flips. Cant jump high into it
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
Ive been practicing for parkour over the past couple of months and I can pk roll over relatively high obstacles, i can kong, double kong, normal vaults, cat leap...   Just last thursday i went to practice (at gym with instructors...) and we were doing front flips which i initially didnt think i could do (as i weigh 205 pounds) but then after being told how to do them a bit i did it (with some assistance and then without but kept landing in tucked position on my feet and bum) the next day i decided i would practice in my yard (using old mattress and some sofa cushions for safety) so that i could try land it by the end of the day (watched loads of tutorials and stuff on youtube my favourite is the jesse laflair ones) and i still cannot do it. The problem to me it seems is that i do not jump high enough at take off (i find it really hard to jump and then flip as separate movements it seems really awkward to me) i tried doing rolls over high obstacles to get me in mind frame but didnt help. What can i do to jump high(er) and then flip in mid air? (Once i get higher i can tuck more also which will help) any tips???????

Offline Zak Infinite

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with front flips. Cant jump high into it
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
I had the same problem, or should I say I still do in a way but when I first learned it in the gym it was on the bouncy floor, then I moved to hard gym floor then I am still trying to get it outside (well not at the moment due to an ankle break :/)
I can do it outside onto cushions but I don't get enough height to land on the balls of my feet and land on my heels which hurts on grass that's why i am sticking to cushions. The only thing I could really suggest is blocking, you may already be blocking but if you don't know what it is ill explain now:
When you run and jump onto the two feet have the feet land at a 45 degree angle in front of you, this forces the forward momentum into upwards momentum and you should get more height if you practice.
Sorry if this is a dull example or not helping in any way but i hope it helps,
Im still learning too, good luck ;)

Offline Vetemor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
Thanks. Ive tried doing this but unsure exactly how to do it. Any tips????

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »
You could be tucking/leaning too soon which can kill height or you may just not be tucking tight enough. Both of those things are hard to practice without just practicing the flip itself though.
How are you landing last time you tried outside? Are you having to roll out, landing on your butt, on your back?
I would go back to the gym before drilling it too much and have an instructor look at your flip, as there can be other things that are making it hard to land. If you cannot go back anytime you another alternative would be to take a video of yourself and post it here. You can upload it to youtube as unlisted and only let those with the link see it then delete it afterwards if you are shy.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
I would strongly recommend putting a video up here so we can give you advice based on what we see. Aside from that you're just gonna get our best guesses.

It's likely one of three things: you aren't blocking properly, you don't actually jump very much, or you don't set properly.

Blocking is simply having your feet a little in front of you like zakhaimid mentioned. You do this regardless of whether you're punching or doing a gather step. Helps you jump up a lot more.

Not jumping up is usually a fear problem. It's a lot easier to look down and just throw your arms, but you have to make sure you actually jump. It helps to look at something about eye level to make sure you jump before throwing yourself. I just want to mention that the whole idea of jump then flip isn't really accurate. It's a good cue, but it might be messing you up. You start flipping as soon as you leave the ground unless you're doing a stall which is a much higher level skill. The important part is just that you do really try to jump up hard while you throw your flip. This is much easier to demonstrate than explain so tell me if I should clarify and I'll explain it better.

Not jumping is usually related to not setting. I wish I knew of a good video about setting, but it's basically getting your chest up when you flip and it's the difference between good and great flips. If you take off with your chest down you won't get much height. A good cue for your is to think about gluing your shoulders to your ears with your arms straight above your head and move your whole upper body as a unit. So you run into the flip with arms and chest up and don't drop your chest until your arms swing through.

Hope this helps and makes sense.